What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Not really I am not huge on stats, and take it for what I see.

Opposing defences would prefer to tackle Tolman as opposed to Paulo.

Yes he make 200m+ but he plays more minutes, Paulo in his lesser minutes on the field impacts a game much more and gets his team rolling.

A 60-8-min man vs a 40min man will always have better stats as he plays more minutes, I am talking someone who can impact a game and cause problems for opposing teams.

Paulo plays less but boy does he impact a game, Tolman plods along for 60mins and gradually makes decent meterage.

Paulo and Tolman played pretty much the same minutes last weekend.

Tolman 60 mins, 20 runs, 170m. 8.5m a run and 1 tackle break
Paulo 61 mins, 22 runs, 189m. 8.6m a run and 2 tackle breaks

Tolman is ridiculously underrated.

Of course and that's what makes hearing this Foran to Dogs news so hard to hear, we had him here and could have built a team around him and what we had last year. Instead we have no Foran and lost 2 of our most important players last year. Plain and simple.

Moses will be good I just hope BA gets the best out of him, as for forwards though and a hooker, who?

Peats doesn't sound like his interested in returning? Lichaa is a mystery, maybe the change is what he needs? As for forwards Evans will be good, but someone like a Klemmer would be nice or any other damaging forwards that are forced out of clubs.

Until we get those positions covered as well as a Semi replacement, I won't be satisfied. it's just been so glaringly obvious this year. Our defence has been THE biggest disappointment, but our dummy half options and forward rotation are definitely behind it.
Foran went from costing 800K to 1.2 million. And his injury history worsened. And he had mental health issues. 'Letting him go' was the right move.

Paulo and Tolman played pretty much the same minutes last weekend.

Tolman 60 mins, 20 runs, 170m. 8.5m a run and 1 tackle break
Paulo 61 mins, 22 runs, 189m. 8.6m a run and 2 tackle breaks

Tolman is ridiculously underrated.
How the f**k did Paulo last 61 minutes? He looks huge.

Paulo has only played 2 top 8 sides (Cronulla and Brisbane) and made 72 and 97m.....I was upset to lose him to a point, but holy shit some blokes overrate him on here.

he made 211m against the Titans, but I reckon Gary could make 100 odd against them. He's the David Warner of prop forwards.
When he was with us I thought he was more potential than the finished article. If he hasn't improved a great deal then he's not a big loss. Those numbers suggest that too.

And Gary could do that drunk. Sorry, I mean would. As a streaker.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes. The dodgy TPAs took him to 1.2m. And he's got other risks so I think we're better off with Moses at 800k or so.

Well, under an expanded cap, I'd take Foran at 1.2 in a heartbeat (if it goes to what the clubs are hoping) over Moses at 800k.

But the issue is that it wasn't 1.2 under a 9 or 10 mill cap. It was a huge chunk of our cap and for all we know the deal increased with the projected cap increases. It simply wasn't feasible to keep Foran. I'd welcome him back with open arms though....in a parallel universe where BA hadn't been burned by his off field issues.

Bazal

Post Whore
When he was with us I thought he was more potential than the finished article. If he hasn't improved a great deal then he's not a big loss. Those numbers suggest that too.

And Gary could do that drunk. Sorry, I mean would. As a streaker.

He's a very good player IMO, don't get me wrong. But he's a bit of a flat track bully. He'll destroy sides who let him destroy them, or he'll have the odd outstanding game, but a good defence will cut him down. Plus his defence is pretty poor at times.

I'd have liked to have kept him but for what the paid the Raiders can have him.

You and Gary should have a streaker competition at the next Eels home game

Well, under an expanded cap, I'd take Foran at 1.2 in a heartbeat (if it goes to what the clubs are hoping) over Moses at 800k.

But the issue is that it wasn't 1.2 under a 9 or 10 mill cap. It was a huge chunk of our cap and for all we know the deal increased with the projected cap increases. It simply wasn't feasible to keep Foran. I'd welcome him back with open arms though....in a parallel universe where BA hadn't been burned by his off field issues.
True, it's two years down the track and the cap will increase. But I'd be hesitant to sign him at 1.2, even if he had no history with our club. The dodgy hamstrings, the mental health issues, the investigation into the betting stuff, these are real risks even if they're difficult to quantify. And although his playing style would seem to complement Norman's, we'd still lack a good long kicker.

Bazal

Post Whore
True, it's two years down the track and the cap will increase. But I'd be hesitant to sign him at 1.2, even if he had no history with our club. The dodgy hamstrings, the mental health issues, the investigation into the betting stuff, these are real risks even if they're difficult to quantify. And although his playing style would seem to complement Norman's, we'd still lack a good long kicker.

Look, I just spilt bourbon on my couch, so give me a moment and I'll have some kind of retort or agreement or something.....

He's a very good player IMO, don't get me wrong. But he's a bit of a flat track bully. He'll destroy sides who let him destroy them, or he'll have the odd outstanding game, but a good defence will cut him down. Plus his defence is pretty poor at times.

I'd have liked to have kept him but for what the paid the Raiders can have him.

You and Gary should have a streaker competition at the next Eels home game
He's alright but like plenty of players he's overrated due to sentiment.

And I'll leave the streaking to Gaz. I couldn't afford enough craft beer for the Dutch courage.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How the f**k did Paulo last 61 minutes? He looks huge.
Here's how Paulo plays long minutes. He is at the bottom of this list:

Tackles per minute 2016 (average minutes)
0.70 Fensom (51)
0.70 Friend (76)
0.70 Hannant (35)
0.69 Alvaro (38)
0.66 James (59)
0.64 Evans (34)
0.64 Myles (43)
0.64 K. Pritchard (27)
0.63 Graham (61)
0.62 Boyd (35)
0.62 Peats (65)
0.61 G. Burgess (39)
0.61 Mannah (40)
0.61 McInnes (63)
0.61 Rein (70)
0.61 Tolman (60)
0.60 McCullough (67)
0.60 McLean (38)
0.60 Terepo (38)
0.59 Brown (46)

0.58 Lichaa (75)
0.57 De Gois (55)
0.57 Finucane (60)
0.57 McGuire (58)
0.57 Napa (57)
0.57 Prior (44)
0.56 Tamou (47)
0.55 T. Burgess (45)
0.55 Cook (49)
0.55 Matagi (29)
0.55 Matulino (52)
0.55 Waerea-Hargreaves (49)
0.54 Moa (37)
0.54 A. Fifita (55)
0.54 C. Smith (80)
0.54 Vaughan (38)
0.53 O'Brien (26)
0.53 J. Trbojevich (70)
0.52 Farah (65)
0.52 Heighington (33)
0.51 Bromwich (59)
0.51 Granville (62)
0.50 Parker (61)
0.49 Lussick (43)
0.48 S. Burgess (72)
0.48 Pulu (37)
0.48 Woods (57)
0.47 Gallen (64)
0.47 Hodgson (71)
0.47 Klemmer (54)
0.47 M. Scott (46)
0.46 Taumalolo (52)
0.46 Vave (35)
0.45 Ennis (80)
0.44 Paasi (45)
0.43 Luke (72)
0.42 Kasiano (31)
0.39 Paulo (49)

I looked at 2016 stats because the sample is larger, and only looked at middle defenders (and only some of them). Obviously those who spent any minutes anywhere else (e.g. Peats spending some time at edge forward to cover for injury) will have their stats distorted.

For comparison I have also included Eels middle forward stats for 2017:
0.67 Alvaro (30)
0.64 Mannah (37)
0.64 Vave (30)
0.62 Terepo (37)
0.58 K. Pritchard (71)
0.58 B. Scott (44)
0.50 Brown (60)
0.46 Matagi (44)
0.39 O'Brien (17)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Paulo has only played 2 top 8 sides (Cronulla and Brisbane) and made 72 and 97m.....I was upset to lose him to a point, but holy shit some blokes overrate him on here.

he made 211m against the Titans, but I reckon Gary could make 100 odd against them. He's the David Warner of prop forwards.
Paulo spends half the game out wide running at halfbacks and the other half strolling around in defence watching his mates tackle. Of course, the average fan never notices what players aren't doing. They just remember a big run every four minutes or so. The blokes doing all the defensive work for these f**king slugs get labelled with a snide 'he's just a toiler'.

Without developing those players and paying overs to keep them, you will not get them. They are rare as hens teeth.

Matagi, Vave, and Evans can play that role but you need to manage them. As I said like one post ago, you have big minutes from Brown and Tolman and Mannah, who are three players who always make metres, and that allows you to play Matagi and Vave and Evans for less minutes, which means they can all go nuts.

Are you aware that Tolman made 200m twice as many times last season as Junior Paulo has in his entire career?

Stats will get you a reputation like Pou!! Lol you don't want to go there!!! Tuamalolo had also broken the 200m gains as well. Does that mean Tolman is as good a player Tuamalolo? No, he is not even one tenth the player.

Latest posts