What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Crush

Coach
Widdop is 10/10 this game and 9/10 for the YTD just excellent and it is so good for the entire team and its ongoing morale.
So where is Glenn 01, loveoursaints, Capital and the wanker from NZ?
You dished out plenty of hate to Widdop and at the first sign of Widdop being "marquee" just like the cockroaches you are you have crawled back under the closet Vas hides in .
Come out and just admit for once in your lives you got this entirely wrong and that Widdop is playing very good footy and doesn't miss Benji or Rein one little bit.
Surely there is more than enough evidence now for you to come back into this thread and be decent, admit your error and then we can close this thread down once and for all.
Or will you wait in the dark until Widdop makes and error and then try and triumphantly take your place as the "I told you so Widdop baggers".
Your silence in this thread is now deafening.
Exactly the same thing could be said for the Paul McGregor bashers.
I don't see alot of them coming out and admitting that they may have been harsh.
They too are just sitting quiet waiting for a string of losses to say told you so!

j0nesy

Bench
Rumour in UK that Widdop might sign for Leeds in ESL in 2018, any truth in this rumour?
Don't know, although some people are saying he's keen on returning to UK. I don't listen to much of it, all these rumours are probably started by player agents to create competition and push up price.

possm

Coach
It's time for the Dragons to make some important decisions regarding our 2018 squad. Widdop has shown his quality however, now he would be in demand because of this form.

Either sign him or sign an experienced five-eighth. Make a decision on Dugan or otherwise, we could lose both with no suitable replacement.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons set to retain Gareth Widdop as Wests Tigers turn to Josh Reynolds
MICHAEL CHAMMAS
21 Apr 2017, 5:40 p.m.
r0_0_3740_2493_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Staying: Gareth Widdop. Picture: Getty Images

GARETH Widdop looks set to remain at St George Illawarra after the Dragons significantly bumped up their original offer and extended the duration of their skipper's deal by another year.

It comes as the Wests Tigers ruled out off-contract Dragons fullback Josh Dugan as a replacement for the departing James Tedesco, leaving Dugan's future in limbo given the internal squabble at St George Illawarra over his best position.

Widdop had informed Dragons officials his asking price was far greater than the original offer that was on the table, and also requested his contract be increased from a three-year deal to a four-year deal.

Given the irresistible form of the 28-year-old this season and the threat of the circling Wests Tigers and Melbourne Storm, the Dragons came to the party and satisfied Widdop's requests this week to table a lucrative contract until the end of 2021.

The Tigers had identified Widdop as their No.1 target to replace the Parramatta-bound Mitchell Moses next year, however the club is now resigned to missing out on his signature given the Dragons' increased offer.

While Jarryd Hayne is also open to negotiations from rival clubs, Fairfax Media understands the Tigers are reluctant to move on both he and Dugan amid fears of cultural ramifications at the club.

The Tigers have all but given up hope of their ambitious desire to lure Shaun Johnson from across the ditch, now turning their attention to Canterbury No.6 Josh Reynolds as a potential halves partner for the lone survivor of the "big four", Luke Brooks.

Sydney Roosters utility Connor Watson has also been identified by the Tigers, who now have close to $4 million to spend on players for next season given the forthcoming departures of Moses, Tedesco and Aaron Woods.

Warriors prop Ben Matulino, who returns from injury this weekend, is expected to be one of them. Dragons prop Russell Packer also looks like reuniting with Cleary and Matulino given St George Illawarra's extra investment into Widdop.

Johnson also played with Matulino and Packer under Cleary at the Warriors, however he admits he is close to re-signing with New Zealand.

"I have obviously been in talks with the club for a while now and we're getting close," Johnson said.

"It is hopefully going to be sorted soon. I think walking away – a lot of people have said it is probably what I should do to take my game to a new level at a different club – but it doesn't make sense to myself. I wouldn't be satisfied with that I don't think. Hopefully we can agree on some good terms to stay here and I can achieve what not only myself, but this club and organisation wants to achieve.

"It is a challenge, but as footy players that's what you live for. You don't want to walk into a system where it is all set up for you and you can just be another name on the wall at a club that has already won a comp and achieved all there is to achieve in this game. It's always a challenge.

"We have our challenges here like every other team does. The thrill of knowing what this team can do to rugby league in New Zealand – I really want to be a part of. That's what I have said all along. I have said that to Jim [Doyle], I have said that to Mooks, I have said that to the coaching staff here. I am sure we will have it settled soon."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ragons-leaving-dugan-future-in-limbo/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Let's wait for an announcement from the Club. Widdop is playing very well and it is obvious the Club rates him very highly.

BrissyRedV

Bench

Widdop re-signs with Dragons

Sat 22nd April, 09:30AM

DTV Signing Gareth Widdop
Captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the Dragons for a further four seasons.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Widdop re-signs with Dragons

Sat 22nd April, 09:30AM

DTV Signing Gareth Widdop
Captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the Dragons for a further four seasons.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Now for the rest of the cavalry to re sign, Duges, Packer, Lafai , Mann, Milne.
It would be great to keep all of this crew together and give us the depth that the great Dragons teams of the past all had and made us the envy of the league.
We don't need any outside recruits, let all those overrated overpriced Prima donnas go to the Rorters and Bullgrubs and Shonkies.
Come on boys let's create another dynasty!!

Rocket Rod

Juniors
On topic with this thread, with almost a third of the season done I believe that Widdop is by far the form 5/8 of the comp.
He has consistently scored dally m points, way ahead as individual point scorer, second top try scorer and still at 28 years of age should hopefully only get better as most halves get better and better with time.
He has deceptive pace and elusiveness and is durable. At 900k a year he could prove to be a bargain !

Dragons 09

Juniors
Myself, BrissyRedV and BennyV clashed repeatedly over the offseason about the merits of moving Dugan from fullback to accommodate Kurt Mann. Now that has been settled and Kurt Mann is in fact as I said he was, a NSW Cup standard player, it’s time to move on.

Of course someone also has to answer for the recruitment of such a player. I have been a solid supporter of Mary but really, he is starting to come across as an idiot. Signing Mann, leaving Aitken out, choosing Widdop as captain even though Dugan wanted it….. patently ridiculous!

Of course Lafai wasn’t “bad” against Souffs (which doesn’t mean “good”) but if that was close to his best, he is a NSW Cup standard center, as myself and Objective View have said consistently.

Rein was outstanding against Souffs. If he can play 80min and doesn’t throw bad passes out of DH or try to kick, there is no reason he can’t play like that every week. I still hope Robbie Farah comes back and the Tigers play terribly and they come to the conclusion he must go even if they have to pay a large % of his salary for the next 2 years.

Now we come to my pet-peeve. Gareth Widdop! I posted a long message on the “most overrated” thread but the entire thread was deleted in response. Just more evidence that there is something really weird going on with Gareth Widdop and this forum. Is he using his massively inflated supercoach Price era salary to pay people off to stifle criticism?

Anyway, on this thread, just so homies can’t whine about “saying the same thing on every thread”, I want to rate Gareth Widdop.

I still get a kick out of reading this even though it's more than a year old..........he sure was a funny little fella was our Vas.:rolleyes:

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop re-signs with St George Illawarra Dragons
Andrew Parkinson
24 Apr 2017, 9:40 a.m.
r635_347_3658_2397_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Happy to be here: St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the club for a further four seasons. Picture: Chris Lane

Another piece of St George Illawarra’s recruitment puzzle has fallen into place after the club announced captain Gareth Widdop has signed a four-year contract extension.

The England international will be at the Dragons until the end of the 2021 season and, along with new signing Ben Hunt from Brisbane, seemingly have their long-term halves combination locked in.

Widdop has played 79 games in the Red V since arriving in 2014 and recently became the club’s second highest point scorer behind Jamie Soward.

The 28-year-old said it was a big decision but was happy to be staying at the club.

“The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that,” Widdop said.

“At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.”

The club’s director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward said the club had shown confidence in Widdop by making him their long-term leader.

“We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth,” he said.

“Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed.”

The club will turn their attention to retaining Australia and NSW representative Josh Dugan and coach Paul McGregor after their blistering start to the season.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4615493/widdop-re-signs-with-red-v/?cs=3833

Latest posts