What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NRL commentators

Worst NRL commentator

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King hit

Coach
I know this is the "worst" thread, but listening to Cronk yesterday, he offers a much better explanation of why a play or player is getting something right, or getting something wrong, than most commentators. I would imagine he has a good future at Fox if he wants it.

I guess it is not surprising that Cronk, a clever half back, shows more insight than Blocker
, who just tells us banal things like "their forwards need to get on top", but why Walters, himself a clever half and a coach, can't offer a bit more insight is beyond me.

Cronk has always struck me as a thinking man type of player so it doesn't surprise me that he offers insight into the game and you can learn from him like you do with Sterlo. I think Cronk could make it as a coach because of this.

I love Blocker but he offers no insight and Walters is a nice guy but he is useless as a commentator plus his redneck voice doesn't help. The reason why those guys offer so little is that they just relied on personal talent when they played rather than tactical nous.

wibble

Bench
Yeah, Cronk comes across in his play as clever, and Sterlo was a clever player and is a clever commentator.

But I still think the level of insight in commentary is pretty dreadful.

I like Blocker, and Walters. I liked them as players, and I like their passion for the game, and agree with a lot of their views outside of commentary. But they don't offer anything as commentators, and it's not just them.

I don't know if you watch the Super League, but Jon Wells (in particular, often with Brian Carney) does an outstanding job of dissecting a play. Those guys were both wingers and didn't strike me while playing as particularly clever players (not trying to dis them, they were fine players, but didn't rely on insight).

They get players on after the game to dissect plays with them, and almost without exception they show similar good insight, especially compared to the commentators we are bagging in these posts.

This is regardless of the player's position, from winger to half to prop, and their relative skill, from international to ok at super league (sometimes guys who are reserve standard in the NRL before going to Super League).

Before a game, Fox interviews some players about plays that might appear in the game, like Blake Green this week, and I've seen Cronk and Lewis do it in the past, and I always learn something interesting from these.

Players, and therefore commentators who have usually been through 10+ years at a professional level, spend many hours a week dissecting and analysing their own, and their opponent's games. They know plenty about the game other than just "hold the ball" and "whichever pack gets on top will win".

I speak to junior coaches, who have never coached above kids levels, about NRL, and they talk about specific players in the NRL, where they line up on the field, where their weak tackles or tackle busts, or offloads, or dominant tackles etc are likely to happen and why. They talk about game management and setting up for 2 plays ahead, about conserving energy, about controlling tempo. And they tell me their kids know this stuff.

You can't tell me that most commentators don't know an enormous amount about football, but except for Sterlo and Cronk (Ennis, Parker, some of the newer commentators do alright at this), they don't talk about it during the game.

It might be hard to do a Matt Elliot "Break down" (also excellent) in the middle of a game, but just some better insight than "their forwards are getting on top" would be appreciated. I think the standard is improving (with some newly retired players, as I mentioned, helping), but it is not good enough.

The issue with commentators being "too biased" would also largely disappear I think if they were devoting their thoughts to analysing play, rather than just expressing their feelings for a player/game. I could do the latter, experienced rugby league commentators need to impress us more with their thoughts, than with their egos.

>zuzu<

Juniors
The channel 9 crew, at least I feel, are showing signs of senility... in fact they've been there for the last few years. The amount of times a referee has made the wrong call (and sometimes in fact the right call, but they just hate the rule that is being enforced), and it is still being discussed 15 minutes after the incident is growing. Just get over it!

Yes they bicker and argue and have a laugh about it now and again and it makes for "OK" television. What irks me about it as well, is that even the great Peter Sterling (whose input is always warranted and has merit) gets in on the act and continues to sook about pet peeves or certain rules of the game that they dislike. They harp on a great deal of negativity.

That and Ray Hadley is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Bloke is a pure dribbler. And Anasta is a complete moron. Probably the worst ex-player to jump onto the Fox bandwagon for some time.

On that note - votes for best commentator would have to go to either Dan Ginane, or Vossy.

Last edited:

Seage

Juniors
And Anasta is a complete moron. Probably the worst ex-player to jump onto the Fox bandwagon for some time.

On that note - votes for best commentator would have to go to either Dan Ginane, or Vossy.

Did you only get television after the Fox careers of Whiz Freeman, Germ Woolford and Buckets O'Neill ended?

You are right on one account - Vossy is the best by a mile.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Noone could do a "tiring Warriors forwards" like the whiz. Could be the 2nd minute of the game and they would already be tiring

Timbo

Staff member
God, Whiz. I remember a game at Leichhardt where literally the only commentary he offered for the first 25 minutes is 'why isn't Dane Laurie on the field yet'.

forward pass

Coach
Speaking of commentators - did everyone catch Warren Smiths classic line on Monday?

Eels players tried to drag a tigers player over the sideline and Warren Smith comes out with " He must felt like a United Airlines customer then - they were dragging him up the aisle"

Well played !

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Speaking of commentators - did everyone catch Warren Smiths classic line on Monday?

Eels players tried to drag a tigers player over the sideline and Warren Smith comes out with " He must felt like a United Airlines customer then - they were dragging him up the aisle"

Well played !

On the professors 2nd year syndrome they implanted that Asian doctors head on Brett hogdson in the infamous Tallis ragdoll...Tallis working for United Airlines lol

ed-grimley

Bench
Commentators shouldn't be afraid of "dead air" -- after all we are not idiots and we do have the benefit of pictures. If they can't add to what we are seeing in some way they should STFU.

Scorpio30

Bench
I must admit to not being to bothered by Anasta in his studio role's...But tonights effort at Can v Man rates as one of the worst performances Ive ever heard.

My fave from Braith tonight..."The most difficult conversions are the ones between the posts and the sideline".

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Walters was so bad he made Roach Sterlo like.

And roach was shit, his attempt at humming the superman theme was cringe worthy.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
And the old 'whooshka' is back from roach too.

Needs shooting, how they'll dispose of the carcass is the problem.

gregstar

Referee
mute is the best commentator by a long, long, loooonnnnnggggg way.

in fact mute has been the leading commentator for almost 25 seasons.

Latest posts