What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
What would really annoy the fans though is if Moylan doesn't even get a chance to play 5/8. No one can really fully evaluate it until then.

No doubt TMM is a better denfender, but that's not in the top few things I'd look for in a 5/8. Right now I'd say Moylans hands & passing vision are superior.
Moylan is a better defender than Maloney. God alot of the great halves couldnt tackle for shit.

But if they're good enough at playmaking it's not that bad and in the line they have help. At fullback every missed tackle is nearly certainly a try. But its even worse when your fullback is nowhere to be seen on grubbers in goal.

Edwards is the best man for tidying up at the back. I would drop Moylan altogether for him if he cant make it at 5/8th. Edwards is the better fullback.

martielang

Bench
Just part of the reason Griffin is the wrong coach.

If he can't see Moyaln's inadequacies at fullback we have a massive problem, because he likely can't see other players inadequacies.

Maybe its not a matter of him thinking Moylan can't play 5/8th, but more the fact that he wants Cleary, TMM & Moylan in the same 13 as he believes it gives us the best chance of winning? Pretty sure we all thought the same.

FFS they've been playing together for 7 weeks, i'm pissed off too but a new combination is gonna take time and it probably shows why he didn't put TMM straight in last year when he was fit. Doesn't help our or Griffins or Cleary & TMM's cause that Moylan (arguably our best attacking option) has been extremely ordinary thus far.

Maybe its not a matter of him thinking Moylan can't play 5/8th, but more the fact that he wants Cleary, TMM & Moylan in the same 13 as he believes it gives us the best chance of winning? Pretty sure we all thought the same.

FFS they've been playing together for 7 weeks, i'm pissed off too but a new combination is gonna take time and it probably shows why he didn't put TMM straight in last year when he was fit. Doesn't help our or Griffins or Cleary & TMM's cause that Moylan (arguably our best attacking option) has been extremely ordinary thus far.

Then why didn't he give Moylan a run at 5/8 when TMM was injured?

We had several players who could've played fullback.

Besides I would argue combinations & positional play are far more important than shoehorning the best available players into the 13.

I also question the wisdom of playing two such young halves together, only time I can remember this working is DCE/Foran at Manly. Even then DCE had two years experience in the QLD Cup.

mxlegend99

Referee

Moylan has been ordinary because he is an ordinary fullback. With TMM in the team he is now stuck sharing the area of the game he excels in... playing as a half in attack. Tmm and Moylan are both great players that are suffering as the other is trying to play the same role in attack.

You take his playmaking away (which happens when he and TMM are fullback and 5/8th) you are left with a fullback who is ineffective on kick returns, poorly positioned, weak in defence, doesnt support his players up the middle and doesnt really excel in any area. You take his wingers away and we are stuck on our own line.

Moylan looks better when he plays 5/8th in attack and theres no one else trying to do the same.

Also 7 weeks is plenty... carty slotted in and Moylan and Cleary instantly clicked as halves. Only failed when Carty tried too hard.

Then why didn't he give Moylan a run at 5/8 when TMM was injured?

We had several players who could've played fullback.

Besides I would argue combinations & positional play are far more important than shoehorning the best available players into the 13.

I also question the wisdom of playing two such young halves together, only time I can remember this working is DCE/Foran at Manly. Even then DCE had two years experience in the QLD Cup.
They also had Lyon and G.Stewart running a lot of the plays

mxlegend99

Referee
Hiku
Tamou
& Whare on a 5 year deal.

Some of our recruitment & retention hasn't been the best recently.
Hiku was a 3 year deal wasn't it? I swear i was the only one at the time pissed off about it. And not because I thought he was a bad player. But because i was convinced Waqa Blake would be a better player.

I also believed that having Moylan, Mansour, Hiku, Whare and DWZ locked up would mean we would lose all our depth. Which aside from Blake we did lose all of them. Not that it mattered much... they were all injury prone or shit. We kept the one we needed (Blake)

James Tamou wasnt a signing that excited me. I have never really believed the hype with him. Good player but not an elite prop. Not worth half what we paid him. Knowing the Dragons got Vaughn for a shitload less really rubs salt in the woubd. Like Hiku we paid a lot of money for a rep player who really isnt rep quality.

Dean Whare... 5 years. Just ridiculous. But I can only assume we got him super cheap and he miggt one day become depth at best. I cant imagine we give a 5 year deal to an injury prone player we dont really need unless it was a bargain.

age.s

First Grade
Are there salary cap discount considerations with the Whare deal? He'll have been here 9 years by the time his contract is up.

Big Mick

Referee
But I can only assume we got him super cheap and he miggt one day become depth at best. I cant imagine we give a 5 year deal to an injury prone player we dont really need unless it was a bargain.

I think you'll find you are correct. We got a lower rate due to length of the deal. From what I was told it was a win-win deal which you don't really get these days. Usually extreme one way or the other. lol.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watch more than the numbers players wear

Trust me I watch. Sadly too much. I truly wish I hadn't wasted the time and money to go to the Eels game. Stayed at nearby hotel as well so we could have a few drinks to celebrate (not at it turned out).

Moylan like Merrin is clearly suffering from hangover from the Kangaroos tour of the UK. There is no other explanation for there poor form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts