What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City-country

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Imagine my shock opening this thread and seeing ECT with sweeping generalisations about the opinion of every fan.

Yeah, everyone is a moron or f*cktard for not falling into line on his opinion.

Its a great way to get people to change their views.....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah, everyone is a moron or f*cktard for not falling into line on his opinion.

Its a great way to get people to change their views.....
I reckon most fans on here probably agree with him that nowhere near enough is done for the game in the country or at an international level, but I don't really see any solutions - at least not the way the NRL is governed.

Sadly any attempt to communicate that seems to unleash a torrent of f-bombs?

Timmah

Staff member
Surprise surprise, Canterbury are getting special treatment that wasn't extended to other teams:

It's even a little worse than the article states as the Penrith game was in Bathurst.

Greenberg giving the Dogs special treatment, who woulda thunk it.
Geez that little article really is splitting peas about it being "harder".

The point still remains there's no reason for a Thursday game after a rep weekend.

I don't give a f**k if Sydney merkins change their view or not. They can be wrong as long as they like. If they think removing City-Country is a good thing for the game they really don't have a clue. You can't combat that kind of ignorance.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I don't give a f**k if Sydney merkins change their view or not. They can be wrong as long as they like. If they think removing City-Country is a good thing for the game they really don't have a clue. You can't combat that kind of ignorance.

Well, you sorta do "give a f*ck" otherwise there would not be a massive vein protruding from your forehead as you froth at the mouth about the topic.

But I admire your passion for grass roots footy, I really do.

Well, you sorta do "give a f*ck" otherwise there would not be a massive vein protruding from your forehead as you froth at the mouth about the topic.

But I admire your passion for grass roots footy, I really do.
I'm fully aware the dicks who bag off city-country year after year don't get it and never will. That doesn't mean country people shouldn't continue to make some noise about it. And plenty are. It's only the CRL that is bending over and taking it from the NRL, for reasons unknown.

Timmah

Staff member
This infers that having Country-City as a game is the only solution to a larger issue and that seems absurd to me.

Top-flight rugby league needs to do better in the bush - Penrith's Bathurst deal is a good start but doesn't begin to scratch the surface - but I don't see Country-City being the answer. Multiple NRL clubs visiting throughout the year to different regions is surely a better alternative - someone at the NRL just needs the cajones to push the clubs to do it.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

skeepe

Immortal
Geez that little article really is splitting peas about it being "harder".

The point still remains there's no reason for a Thursday game after a rep weekend.

You don't think travelling Canberra to Bathurst, then Bathurst to Canberra, Canberra to Tamworth, Tamworth to Canberra and Canberra to Sydney is tougher than travelling Sydney to Mudgee and back?

Sure thing pal.

The point remains that the NRL are giving the Bulldogs special treatment that was not available to other clubs who also had to play the Thursday after rep round.

Timmah

Staff member
You don't think travelling Canberra to Bathurst, then Bathurst to Canberra, Canberra to Tamworth, Tamworth to Canberra and Canberra to Sydney is tougher than travelling Sydney to Mudgee and back?

Sure thing pal.

The point remains that the NRL are giving the Bulldogs special treatment that was not available to other clubs who also had to play the Thursday after rep round.
The NRL aren't doing anything, the Bulldogs have made the decision. I doubt the NRL can 'force' them to do anything.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The NRL aren't doing anything, the Bulldogs have made the decision. I doubt the NRL can 'force' them to do anything.

hahaha of course Toddy isn't going to do anything.

Everyone knew that would be the case as soon as Dessie declared his decision.

Timmah

Staff member
Do you genuinely think if another club had a Thursday game like we do and that club made the same decision, the NRL would exercise any sort of power to stop them?

This "Todd favours the Bulldogs" rubbish is just that. Bullshit

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Do you genuinely think if another club had a Thursday game like we do and that club made the same decision, the NRL would exercise any sort of power to stop them?

This "Todd favours the Bulldogs" rubbish is just that. Bullshit

I genuinely do.

100%

undertaker

Coach
It's interesting that John Grant says that the ARLC don't have the power regarding clubs prohibiting their players to play in the CC game, yet I distinctly remember a Steve Mascord column over the past few years stating that players who chose not to play (rather than being ruled out injured) were facing a suspension.

So, which one is it? Or is it no coincidence that 'Bulldogs' Greenberg has turned a blind eye to this stance since Des Hasler came out publicly about his view on City-Country? Now that Ricky Stuart has jumped on the bandwagon directly as a result from the precedent set by Dessy boy (come on, lets face it, Ricky wouldn't have had the balls to go public with his stance in the past few hours if someone else didn't do it before him), it will be interesting to see what happens if more NRL coaches prohibit their players from playing on Sunday week. This whole fiasco has descended into a complete farce that not even Matt Cooper could match during his time at the Dragons (when he was ruled out 'injured', only to play for the Dragons 24-48 hours later).

Regarding Jamie Lyon, I do find it laughable when I think of the State of Origin selection controversy involving him a few years ago. I mean, if the guy didn't want to play for NSW, WHY THE HELL PICK HIM? Pick someone else who wants to wear the Blues jersey and is capable of matching it with the Maroons. It's just plain moronic selecting someone who doesn't want to play in the team. And to then suspend him from the NRL simply because he didn't want to play for NSW, yet players like Johnathan Thurston can swear at referees and boot players in the face in an Origin match and not get suspended???? The proposal to suspend Lyon reminds me a lot of this Shaun Micallef mock interview on Full Frontal:

Last edited:

Latest posts