What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston!!

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
Souths fan lament AJ is not a Fullback..Since the outing of Inglis.. Moved back to winger on the weekend and scored a couple of tries...Can't say I watch many of there games however..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hearing if Packer goes which is most likely and will be done this week, Dugan will stay. Saints will up the offer and keep him. THe can use some of the money they were offering Packer to lighten the blow.

This would be worst case scenario.

Johnston is a great winger, but he's NOT a fullback.
Horrible defensively, same issues with Dugan (poor passing ability), gets caught out of position too often.

I'd be furious if this happened.

Can confirm this to be correct. Johnston is essentially Nathan Merritt 2.0. Lightning fast and very safe hands but can't make or break a tackle and can't throw a pass.

I heard the Tigers were after him but wouldn't be surprised if the Dragons got him as a Dugan replacement. Wants to play fullback but has been rubbish there for us. Still young and could develop further but wants spine money and we just don't see him as anything other than a winger.

It's no co-incidence that we looked a 10 x better team on the weekend with Johnston being shifted back to the flank and out of fullback.

Johnston for Dugan would be a big downgrade imo.

mobels

Juniors
I'd be absolutely furious if we signed him to play fullback, he's absolutely terrible in every aspect back there. However if we signed him as a Nightingale replacement on the wing if he did retire, I'd have no issues.

Lethal25

Juniors
Has anyone seen him play a good game at FB?

I for one have not but I don't watch all Souths games. Every game I've seen him at FB I've thought he's very average in that position.

I'd rather sign Michael Gordon for a season and see how things go with Dufty/Marsters for 2019

mickeylane

Bench
Dragons have been tracking Johnston for weeks - I posted this 3 weeks ago! i like Johnston at FB...he HAS great hands, great link person from fullback and is lightning...yes to Johnston if Dugan walks! Gagai is about to be announced by Rabbitohs! so he's out of the question....

St Georgio

Juniors
Would much rather just keep Dugan however if he goes I'd rather run with what we have for a year (Mann / Field / Dufty not Flo)and then if need be make a big offer for the best we can get from outside.
Forget journeymen or so called safe options.
With Hunt/Widdop and McInnes I don't think there is need to panic, I am sure one of our own can cover FB, I agree we don't need journeymen , but f**k I hope Duges stays!

mickeylane

Bench
Can confirm this to be correct. Johnston is essentially Nathan Merritt 2.0. Lightning fast and very safe hands but can't make or break a tackle and can't throw a pass.

I heard the Tigers were after him but wouldn't be surprised if the Dragons got him as a Dugan replacement. Wants to play fullback but has been rubbish there for us. Still young and could develop further but wants spine money and we just don't see him as anything other than a winger.

It's no co-incidence that we looked a 10 x better team on the weekend with Johnston being shifted back to the flank and out of fullback.

Johnston for Dugan would be a big downgrade imo.
Thats what you guys were saying about Mciness - Johnston is a gun attacking machine - running off Hunt and Widdop he will be NRL top try scorer in 2018!

blacksafake

First Grade
Without his speed there aint much else there.As a fullback NO but as mentioned previously if as a winger i can live with this.

mickeylane

Bench
Without his speed there aint much else there.As a fullback NO but as mentioned previously if as a winger i can live with this.
IMO he hits a hole better than Dugan,
Chimes into a backline a lot sweeter than clunky Dugan
3 times quicker,
3 years younger
plus if Field does come along in future years to move to FB Johnstone still a gun winger!!
All this happens if Dugan moves

possm

Coach
IMO he hits a hole better than Dugan,
Chimes into a backline a lot sweeter than clunky Dugan
3 times quicker,
3 years younger
plus if Field does come along in future years to move to FB Johnstone still a gun winger!!
All this happens if Dugan moves
Johnstone wants fullback money, that's why he would move. We don't want a winger on fullback money. A two year deal with an option in the clubs favour at max 500k.