What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 rd 10 vs Tigers

themacemaceman

Juniors
I commented a few weeks ago that Crichton was a bolter for origin and few agreed.
I think he could handle it but there is lots of good backrowers getting around so probably not this year.
I'm flabigasted though ( Rex Mosop style) that he didn't get a start in city country.

greg jay

Juniors
Nobody ever claimed that Talakai was better than Hunt or Gray and we all know that he was playing because at least one of the two were unavailable. Give it a rest.
Why on earth should I "give it a rest"??? Dont know about you but I like WINNING. Its win or perish on the field. Coaches will play themselves out of a team if they continually play guys they cannot win with. Fuimaono was available during the absence of Hunt and Gray yet Maguire STUBBORNLY refused to play this promising young man. As a sidenote I spoke to Peter Tunks on radio 2SM "Talking Sport" last Wednesday for several minutes and pushed strongly for Maguire to axe Talakai and to promote young Fuimaono. Speaking with Tunksie on Air obviously had an impact and someone of note was listening.

Travitoh

First Grade
Why on earth should I "give it a rest"??? Dont know about you but I like WINNING. Its win or perish on the field. Coaches will play themselves out of a team if they continually play guys they cannot win with. Fuimaono was available during the absence of Hunt and Gray yet Maguire STUBBORNLY refused to play this promising young man. As a sidenote I spoke to Peter Tunks on radio 2SM "Talking Sport" last Wednesday for several minutes and pushed strongly for Maguire to axe Talakai and to promote young Fuimaono. Speaking with Tunksie on Air obviously had an impact and someone of note was listening.

So your solution to having a young back rower deputising in the centres is to replace him with another young back rower? Your logic is flawless.

Who else would've thought that when Gray returned to the side it'd be at the expense of Talakai? I'm sure i speak for all South Sydney supporters when i say thank you for your call to talkback radio that was the key factor to our win on friday night.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
I'm glad fui debuted in the second row. That's where his future lies with us anyway.

He looked class. I've always liked seeing a strong forward who can keep pumping his legs in a tackle and pinching an extra metre or so instead of being taken straight to ground. I thought similar of Crichton last year too. It shows great base strength and the best have it.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He looked class. I've always liked seeing a strong forward who can keep pumping his legs in a tackle and pinching an extra metre or so instead of being taken straight to ground. I thought similar of Crichton last year too. It shows great base strength and the best have it.

Yeah exactly. His edge running will be deadly in a few years just like Crichton and it's vital we keep them both.

alien

Referee
I'm fairly confident Fui would have done better in the centres than Talakai, but now that AJ is back on the wing, and Gray is back, I'd have Fui on the interchange and come on as a second rower. Fui can play centre if there is an injury to one of our outside backs during the game.

greg jay

Juniors
Fuimaono from a simple glance appears to be an athlete, and a potential beast. Powerful, stout athletic body. I notice that Johnny Gibbs on ABC last Friday evening in his Post Match comments remarked that Fuimaono was "aggressive and damaging". If I were Maguire I would use Fuimaono where he is needed off the bench and that includes in the backline.

greg jay

Juniors
So your solution to having a young back rower deputising in the centres is to replace him with another young back rower? Your logic is flawless.

Who else would've thought that when Gray returned to the side it'd be at the expense of Talakai? I'm sure i speak for all South Sydney supporters when i say thank you for your call to talkback radio that was the key factor to our win on friday night.
What sarcasm!! Gee dude you have an encore aussi/tambien?? Let me ask you this: Would YOU select Talakai OR Fuimaono in the centres if the team was sans Aaron and Hymel again??? Fact is the team cannot score points with the former but SANS lui the team averages around 28-30 ppg. You do not require "logic" here merely use the eye test as Bill Parcells always said. I'm on record for weeks stating the case for Fuimaono over Talakai [as I note others on this forum were too] and if my discussion with Peter Tunks shifted Maguire's decision making then I feel good for the team who badly needed to find form and points. Personally I care little for you or any fan. Rien.

Travitoh

First Grade
What sarcasm!! Gee dude you have an encore aussi/tambien?? Let me ask you this: Would YOU select Talakai OR Fuimaono in the centres if the team was sans Aaron and Hymel again??? Fact is the team cannot score points with the former but SANS lui the team averages around 28-30 ppg. You do not require "logic" here merely use the eye test as Bill Parcells always said. I'm on record for weeks stating the case for Fuimaono over Talakai [as I note others on this forum were too] and if my discussion with Peter Tunks shifted Maguire's decision making then I feel good for the team who badly needed to find form and points. Personally I care little for you or any fan. Rien.

There is a reason as to why Talakai was preferred over Fuimaono in the first place and if you were to look back to the pre-season, most Souths fans were singing his praises as a centre.
If it were to happen again, I'd pick Talakai at centre again as i would prefer to play Fuimaono closer to the middle.