What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock up McInnes

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
In these chaotic contractual times, its time to focus on the premiership winning combo over the next 2-3 years..
I suggest we should look to extend the contract of Cam Mcinnes out until 2020 as a key part to this. This then would settle 75% of our spine with Widdop and Hunt over the coming years whilst we determine the best number 1 from potentially Dufty or Field or outside.
Otherwise we risk another bidding war next year, and we know how well we perform in those..

Frank Facer

First Grade
In these chaotic contractual times, its time to focus on the premiership winning combo over the next 2-3 years..
I suggest we should look to extend the contract of Cam Mcinnes out until 2020 as a key part to this. This then would settle 75% of our spine with Widdop and Hunt over the coming years whilst we determine the best number 1 from potentially Dufty or Field or outside.
Otherwise we risk another bidding war next year, and we know how well we perform in those..
Yes, I agree that we should sign McInnes up long term. He could be NSW number 9 by next year and then his value could skyrocket .

possm

Coach
If you extend McInnes's contract now, it will mean upgrading his salary for next year. I doubt Millward has budgeted for that. I think it best to extend after this season and before the start of the 2018 season for 2019 and beyond.

Millward has Robson coming through and no doubt will be wanting to bring him into first grade in 2018 on the bench to assist McInnes.

The urgent thing to do now is to replace Dugan with a marquee fullback and replace Packer with a hard nosed prop. After doing this we still need to add speed to our backline.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Silly idea.

He's not really suited to playing lock.. he's a better hooker..

Frank Facer

First Grade
If you extend McInnes's contract now, it will mean upgrading his salary for next year. I doubt Millward has budgeted for that. I think it best to extend after this season and before the start of the 2018 season for 2019 and beyond.

Millward has Robson coming through and no doubt will be wanting to bring him into first grade in 2018 on the bench to assist McInnes.

The urgent thing to do now is to replace Dugan with a marquee fullback and replace Packer with a hard nosed prop. After doing this we still need to add speed to our backline.
I want us to have an 80 minute hooker. McInnes plays 80 minutes. I think having that same number 9 throughout the game provides stability. I am happy with McInnes, but I have not seen Robson play, so I do not have an opinion of him, but I am aware that he has some pretty big wraps on him.

possm

Coach
I want us to have an 80 minute hooker. McInnes plays 80 minutes. I think having that same number 9 throughout the game provides stability. I am happy with McInnes, but I have not seen Robson play, so I do not have an opinion of him, but I am aware that he has some pretty big wraps on him.
In the same way that Millward announced Field as our long term fullback even though Dufty was next in line and Dugan was still at the Club, he also announced Robson as our long term hooker. Add to this, he signed Aitken up for 3 years ahead of securing Dugan, Lafai, Milne and Mann, who can see the trend. Millward has his pet juniors all mapped out on his whiteboard and won't deviate from this plan unless something seriously goes wrong.

I hope Millward does lock up McInnes, he is the best hooker we have had in years and he is young. McInnes, Hunt and Widdop will form an awesome combination in 2018. We need a grand final winning fullback to complete our top line spine.

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
back to my point, if we secure McInnes to go with Widdop and Hunt out until 2020 we start to get a Melbourne like stable spine to set us up for a premiership in the next 2-3 years.. the fullback being the last piece of the puzzle. Which in all honesty at $1M per season Dugan was not

possm

Coach
back to my point, if we secure McInnes to go with Widdop and Hunt out until 2020 we start to get a Melbourne like stable spine to set us up for a premiership in the next 2-3 years.. the fullback being the last piece of the puzzle. Which in all honesty at $1M per season Dugan was not
I take your point and agree with you. Do you think Millward would agree with you about McInnes?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Michael Ennis on FOX is talking highly of MCinness. Spoke highly of him attitude and commitment wise at City Camp. Time to sign him long term.

Smack

Coach
Why would we secure a hooker with a bright future when we can pay overs for an injury prone Dugan?

#simplescience

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What a huge upgrade to Rein he is fellas. Seriously, can't believe Saints put up with his rubbish for so long. McInness looks settled in the red V. I am sure they will lock him up but I hear Robson is another gun player. I think Haviili's time is up after 2017..

FlameThrower

Bench
Why would we secure a hooker with a bright future when we can pay overs for an injury prone Dugan?

#simplescience
Agree we picked him up with a barrage of angst as he was a dud at Souths! We took the bet and it's paid off- so extend him for 2 years at a fair price.
Vaughn was also a great signing and club has locked him up long term too. Once again lots of frothing at the mouth about his initial signing too.

Last edited:

Kuro

Juniors
Well now what do YOU think?

Tongue in cheek mate :p I think you're wasting too much of your energy focusing on Millward here. I do enjoy generally enjoy your posts overall though.

I think Millward is doing a passable job, made some decent signings but also losing a few of our top line players. I don't think the end result will be as bad as some here make it out to be and am putting some faith in our juniors to step up.
However, I am the type to embrace change, which I feel the club is doing at the moment after being fairly stagnant and stale for a number of years.

Overall, this has been a positive year thus far.

possm

Coach
Tongue in cheek mate :p I think you're wasting too much of your energy focusing on Millward here. I do enjoy generally enjoy your posts overall though.

I think Millward is doing a passable job, made some decent signings but also losing a few of our top line players. I don't think the end result will be as bad as some here make it out to be and am putting some faith in our juniors to step up.
However, I am the type to embrace change, which I feel the club is doing at the moment after being fairly stagnant and stale for a number of years.

Overall, this has been a positive year thus far.
What bugs me is that Millward has had a few positions at the Club and has not done well at any. He got this job via a re-structure of the head coach position and of course the influence of his father who is a power broker at the Club.

As a fan for 60 years - I was apparently mad about the Dragons when I was 3 years old - and I'm a full voting member of the Club. I'm just sick and tired of seeing unprofessional people weighing down our Club's success through greed and nepotism.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
What a huge upgrade to Rein he is fellas. Seriously, can't believe Saints put up with his rubbish for so long. McInness looks settled in the red V. I am sure they will lock him up but I hear Robson is another gun player. I think Haviili's time is up after 2017..

Spot on slippery
Robson will be pushing very hard at some stage next year.

denis preston

First Grade
What bugs me is that Millward has had a few positions at the Club and has not done well at any. He got this job via a re-structure of the head coach position and of course the influence of his father who is a power broker at the Club.

As a fan for 60 years - I was apparently mad about the Dragons when I was 3 years old - and I'm a full voting member of the Club. I'm just sick and tired of seeing unprofessional people weighing down our Club's success through greed and nepotism.

A lot of forum members disagree with you on Millward and i am one of them. Your fixation with him appears personal and you are entitled to your opiion but you should at least acknowledge the positive things he has achieved in the position such as player retention , player acquisition and not blindly paying players what their managers demand . The Dragons don't have the endless supply of money some clubs do and I believe that at last they have a plan and they are sticking to it. I only hope ( along with you I think ) that this plan does not include McGregor, Hornby & Young .