What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Budget for new players

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We have a shit load of talent coming through time to start grooming the Duftys, Kerr , Field, Luciano's but first we need someone who can bring them to their potential

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
should we lock down Lafai, Milne and Mann first or are people happy for them to go... forward depth, that Brenton Lawrence from Sea Eagles might suit our 17 and not be too expensive

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd be looking at Nelson Asofa-Solomona to replace Packer. He's an animal. He's got that much potential that i'd offer him the contract they offered Packer.

As for Dugan's replacement, Mitchell or Cody Walker would be my targets if they become available. Perhaps even Michael Gordon just for the year.
Yeah, Asofa and Mitchell would be my top 2 targets right now too, Walker would be my next choice after Mitchell for fullback too.

Frank Facer

First Grade
should we lock down Lafai, Milne and Mann first or are people happy for them to go... forward depth, that Brenton Lawrence from Sea Eagles might suit our 17 and not be too expensive
I would be re-signing Lafai and Milne right now. I would be looking to sign them for 2 years.

possm

Coach
We have a shit load of talent coming through time to start grooming the Duftys, Kerr , Field, Luciano's but first we need someone who can bring them to their potential
First things first.
Find a marquee fullback - sign Hayne
Find a hard nose forward - sign Asofa
Blood our young guns - Kerr, Lawrie, Host, Sele and Luilua
Stack the Club storeroom with Crownies - Thanks to Packer and Dugan.

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
I think we should also look to extend McInnes if possible for another 2 years, as he is only on a 2 year contract at present. This will secure our positions 6,7,9 for 4 years and excellent stability..
Otherwise we may end up in another bidding war for him next year... and we have shown recently how great we are at bidding wars....

mickeylane

Bench
Kasiano and Nate Myles off to Storm, Darcy Luscik to be available from Manly - could be a good Prop replacement for Packer!

SaintPauli

Juniors
First things first.
Find a marquee fullback - sign Hayne
Find a hard nose forward - sign Asofa
Blood our young guns - Kerr, Lawrie, Host, Sele and Luilua
Stack the Club storeroom with Crownies - Thanks to Packer and Dugan.
POSSM - I really believe from Kerr, Lawrie, Host, Sele and Luilua
there is a capable replacement for Russell Packer. Save the coin and use it for Quality Backs.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I agree we should be aiming to secure a backline as good as our 2010 Grand Final backline:-
Boyd
Morris
Gasnier
Cooper
Nightingale
Soward
Hornby
Do not waste money on forwards when our backs are the achilles heel!

SGMax

Juniors
I think we are already a prop short this year, just lucky injuries have been light.
If the younger forwards were as good as Packer or the other props, they would be selected already.
Kerr, Lawrie, Host, Sele and Leilua will need to play a support role for a couple of years yet, plenty of time for them to shine in the future.
We need to replace Packer with a tough hard running established prop or two....not divert funds to the backline.

Same for Dufty, Field, Robson, Herbert etc,,,.. they need to develop in their own time.
They are not being selected because they aren't as good as the current first graders.....yet.

Confused with KFFL leapfrogging into the top 13 though.

There is a point where the Dragons have to stop re-building and have a tilt at the title by assembling the strongest team possible regardless of whether they have been developed in house or bought..
Depending on the junior squads too much too soon will set us back a few years.

A top line fullback to tide us over a couple of years till Marsters is ready would be nice.
Dragons need to make it a priority to win titles by whatever means.....get tough and compete for the best talent available.

possm

Coach
I think we should also look to extend McInnes if possible for another 2 years, as he is only on a 2 year contract at present. This will secure our positions 6,7,9 for 4 years and excellent stability..
Otherwise we may end up in another bidding war for him next year... and we have shown recently how great we are at bidding wars....
Yes but we need to learn from our current mistakes. Best to ensure that everyone isn't coming off contract at the same time.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We are not diverting funds to our backline. The point is that I suggest that we replace Packer from within and sign up the other half of our backline
which is currently unsigned. Millward
through his stupidity has set us back
many years. You need quality players in positions 1 to 5 not just not just 6 to 17. Our backline is poor in attack and defence and under the high ball and things will get worse because Hutchison, Lafai, Mann and Milne look likely to leave. There is littlle backup for these promising players and we will pay overs to recruit externally.Millward has us in a crisis mode and should be sacked. The non-retention of a significant number of the current squad will also affect the morale of our Top 17 and I can not see us making the Top 8 as our form is waning. Prepare for more thrashings similar to that received from Parramatta and the Storm. I was quite confident a month ago but our hopes are quickly going down the drain due to Millward's
stupidity.

possm

Coach
We are not diverting funds to our backline. The point is that I suggest that we replace Packer from within and sign up the other half of our backline
which is currently unsigned. Millward
through his stupidity has set us back
many years. You need quality players in positions 1 to 5 not just not just 6 to 17. Our backline is poor in attack and defence and under the high ball and things will get worse because Hutchison, Lafai, Mann and Milne look likely to leave. There is littlle backup for these promising players and we will pay overs to recruit externally.Millward has us in a crisis mode and should be sacked. The non-retention of a significant number of the current squad will also affect the morale of our Top 17 and I can not see us making the Top 8 as our form is waning. Prepare for more thrashings similar to that received from Parramatta and the Storm. I was quite confident a month ago but our hopes are quickly going down the drain due to Millward's
stupidity.
Go on and say it. We are in a mess, a Millward mess.

Bench
I was thinking that if the club does not give a pathway to our young guns we could end up with another Bird situation.
Sign them up and give them the incentive for first grade and/or the bench

Gm5

Juniors
Chuck the bank at finding a way to field a team of Nightys when he was in his prime

Overseas dragon

Juniors
we don't need new players we have many many many very good young players go out and watch them you guys who want to pay extra for other teams cast off .what we need is a coach.let me say it again we need a coach.something we haven't had since WAYNE went North we had a very good prospect called Jason Demetriou who we were happy to give to the broncos .maybe we need a new front office as well

possm

Coach
we don't need new players we have many many many very good young players go out and watch them you guys who want to pay extra for other teams cast off .what we need is a coach.let me say it again we need a coach.something we haven't had since WAYNE went North we had a very good prospect called Jason Demetriou who we were happy to give to the broncos .maybe we need a new front office as well
JD was a threat to the old boy system. It would have been great to see what he would have done with our side this year.

mickeylane

Bench
In predicting we will sign Akex Johnston plus one prop - now that Lusick is free maybe it's him - he's a monster and mean!

1. Johnston/Field
2. McDonald
3. Lafai
4. Milne
5. Nightingale /Johnstone

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Simms
8. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzel
12. Thompson