What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Pro Dragons

Juniors
We have lost Packer and probably Dugan right when the team has turned the corner and started to look like a possible top 4 side. Who is on the market that can replace these 2 important players? These 2 players have played a big part in getting the mighty RED V back on track. Other teams can't believe that we are paying players by what position they play and not on their talent and what they produce on the field.The Dragons player payment rules an established Australian winger that is a great finisher who knows how to get to the try line and is the NRL leading try scorer would be a ordinary half back who would be paid more than the Australian winger.

emack

Juniors
We have lost Packer and probably Dugan right when the team has turned the corner and started to look like a possible top 4 side. Who is on the market that can replace these 2 important players? These 2 players have played a big part in getting the mighty RED V back on track. Other teams can't believe that we are paying players by what position they play and not on their talent and what they produce on the field.The Dragons player payment rules an established Australian winger that is a great finisher who knows how to get to the try line and is the NRL leading try scorer would be a ordinary half back who would be paid more than the Australian winger.
Mate, I'd hate to see how you balance your families budget?! Have you heard of the salary cap by any chance? We can't have it all and unlike other teams, WE play by the rules.............we don't have a "sombrero" for a salary cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saintsified

Bench
Mate, I'd hate to see how you balance your families budget?! Have you heard of the salary cap by any chance? We can't have it all and unlike other teams, WE play by the rules.............we don't have a "sombrero" for a salary cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah but we dont necessarily need to wear a Jewish cap (kippah) either. We are f**king up, Bellamy is begging Slater not to retire as Cronk is leaving, saying 2 stars in same year can be devastating and we let two internationals walk out the door lol f**k me.
basic-kippah.jpg

emack

Juniors
Yeah but we dont necessarily need to wear a Jewish cap (kippah) either. We are f**king up, Bellamy is begging Slater not to retire as Cronk is leaving, saying 2 stars in same year can be devastating and we let two internationals walk out the door lol f**k me.
basic-kippah.jpg
Nice one............................but just a quick question.................I totally understand the logic/motivation for a club to cheat and try and spend over the cap to assemble a bunch of franchise players to shorten their odds of winning the title....................but can you just shed some light on why any club would intentionally under spend against the salary cap - hence the kippah?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The most disappointing thing in the Dugan saga for mine, has been the carry on by some in here.

Seeing the attitude shift from 'must re-sign him' to unimaginative posts about tattoos/cruisers/injury once negotiations have turned shows a lack of class in my opinion.

Duges has been a great signing for us. He's obviously matured considerably since joining the club and has always put his body on the line. Yeah he might stay down from time to time, but he plays it tougher than most.

If he stays, great. But if he leaves, he deserves a bit of respect. If the figures are true with what Cronulla have offered, I'd like to see how many here would leave the $1 million difference on the table.

Come on mate, this is a forum for friendly banter and letting off steam.

I've been a big fan of Dugan from day one and have made numerous posts about his continued efforts.

I don't like how he has dragged this contract saga out. I do blame him and his manager for it cause at the day, no one player is bigger than the club.

If a player decides he wants to play for the team with the big red V, l'll support him big time.

If a player decides he's going to leave us, l bag him for likewise.

He's still a very good player but if it affects my team / club, to me, that come first.

It seems some of you may have been offended by my post .... sorry, that wasn't my intention.

Footnote- Sometimes l do make serious posts but many of my posts are a light-hearted take on what's happening on a thread.

Have a good day people.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
There's a whole heap of people on this forum who'll probably achieve nothing of significance in their lives who are really quick to bag a guy who has one very short period of his life to set himself up financially for making a business decision.
I'll miss the Duges but if he moves on the decision is personal and makes perfect sense for him.
I suspect there's a lot of people on here with dead end jobs who are more than a tad envious that footy players with a ten year career full of risk earn more money in that ten years than they will in their entire lives.

giboz71

First Grade
The clubs invested in youth. Field and Dufty are 2 of our most prized rookies. Lawrie and Sele are also highly regarded.

How can these guys ever get a go if we hold on to everyone? I knew one of Widdop and Duges would be set loose with the arrival of Hunt. One of them leaving is really not a surprise. But like most people, I thought Widdop would have been the one we'd let leave.

All remains to be seen if it's the right decision.

St Georgio

Juniors
There's a whole heap of people on this forum who'll probably achieve nothing of significance in their lives who are really quick to bag a guy who has one very short period of his life to set himself up financially for making a business decision.
I'll miss the Duges but if he moves on the decision is personal and makes perfect sense for him.
I suspect there's a lot of people on here with dead end jobs who are more than a tad envious that footy players with a ten year career full of risk earn more money in that ten years than they will in their entire lives.
Digusting Post by a Pee head whos only measure of success is passing a football, I see people raising children to grow up as good people just as successful, there are many great Rugby league players that are complete f**kwits off the field!

Belta

Juniors
Unfortunately with time comes change, what was once a game where a child could go to bed dreaming of playing for their club, idolising there heroes who were as loyal as they were hard. Money has changed the game, they players now realise they can set themselves and their families up and they would be crazy to do otherwise

Gareth67

First Grade
Unfortunately with time comes change, what was once a game where a child could go to bed dreaming of playing for their club, idolising there heroes who were as loyal as they were hard. Money has changed the game, they players now realise they can set themselves and their families up and they would be crazy to do otherwise

Yes , ever so much , it is a man's responsibility to do just that , the very best that he possibly can for his love ones , but nobody here needs to hear that from me .

Speaking for myself , the most annoying aspect of these negotiations , were that they went on and on and . . . I believe that we are all over it now and merely wish a decision be made , so as the club can move forward and get our season back on track .

Should the Duges go , we will miss his services but there are younger players that shall take up the gauntlet , we will still be cheering for the Dragons whomever is there .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan has been exemplary and a great ambassador during his time at our club.
He has tried to achieve an outcome and the club has said they can't accommodate that situation.
A commercial arrangement that could not be concluded as simple as that.
IMO we should have tried to do the deal with him last year before the Hunt signing maybe we did maybe we didn't but I suspect the Hunt money was the turning point and subsequent breakdown.
Supporters that turn sour so quickly need to have a think about what their motives are.
If you believe he will not be a loss then fine of he goes but at least acknowledge his on field efforts and good behaviour and don't make stupid comments, if you believe you wanted him to stay but for less money or time than he could achieve elsewhere then you are being selfish for your own outcome whilst saying Dugan is being selfish for securing his own financial future.
If Dugan does leave I for one will miss him, wish him well for his future and would gladly shake his hand anyday and say thanks for the way you played for us.

giboz71

First Grade
He has tried to achieve an outcome and the club has said they can't accommodate that situation.
IMO we should have tried to do the deal with him last year before the Hunt signing maybe we did maybe we didn't but I suspect the Hunt money was the turning point and subsequent breakdown.
Supporters that turn sour so quickly need to have a think about what their motives are.
If you believe he will not be a loss then fine of he goes but at least acknowledge his on field efforts and good behaviour and don't make stupid comments, if you believe you wanted him to stay but for less money or time than he could achieve elsewhere then you are being selfish for your own outcome whilst saying Dugan is being selfish for securing his own financial future.
If Dugan does leave I for one will miss him, wish him well for his future and would gladly shake his hand anyday and say thanks for the way you played for us.

I'll be sad to see him go as well. I would have thought Widdop would have been the one set loose at the beginning of the year, but his form over the last 8 rounds was difficult to ignore. We'd have the same people blowing up if Widdop was the one to leave.

End of the day, I think we always had to lose one. Ben Hunt is arriving and our young guys will be just about ready come next year. Widdop and Duges as a combination and as our 2 prized recruits have had their chance the last 3-4 years. In those years, we finished 14th, 11th, 8th and 11th.

Hardly inspiring stuff. Time for a change.

possm

Coach
Last year was the F.ckin Farrah circus and this year it's become the Dugan drag out circus. It's literally become boring and a pain in the arse for RL supporters. Is it any wonder people in the real world are losing interest in the once great game.
Millward could have pulled the offer to Dugan off the table in February and gone after Tedesco, Hayne or Mitchell. He didn't because for him it is not a priority to win games, his priority is to slot players into first grade.

Millward has declare that he wants Field at fullback in 2018 however, Mary does not want to test Field at fullback. Now we have the funds to sign Hayne and there is no movement in that area.

God give me strength!

possm

Coach
The answer to this puzzle is the answer to this question; Why did Dugan's manager want Dugan's contract settled before a deal with Packer? Why did Millward agree to this ridiculous request?

cussy

Juniors
Millward could have pulled the offer to Dugan off the table in February and gone after Tedesco, Hayne or Mitchell. He didn't because for him it is not a priority to win games, his priority is to slot players into first grade.

Millward has declare that he wants Field at fullback in 2018 however, Mary does not want to test Field at fullback. Now we have the funds to sign Hayne and there is no movement in that area.

God give me strength!
Mate pull your head in with your vandetta against Millard. It's getting f**king boring. At the end of the day it's the managers job to get top dollar and the team to get the best price that fits the cap. If you are buying a car you have a budget for what you want and need. Dugan is good reliable but not worth top dollar for his position.

possm

Coach
Mate pull your head in with your vandetta against Millard. It's getting f**king boring. At the end of the day it's the managers job to get top dollar and the team to get the best price that fits the cap. If you are buying a car you have a budget for what you want and need. Dugan is good reliable but not worth top dollar for his position.
It's absolutely clear to all that Millward's recruitment/retention and negotiations skills did not delver a positive result when it comes to the retention of Dugan and Packer. A serious matter when you consider these two players wanted to stay and are key first grade players at our Club. What is worse is that it seems he does not have a plan B. To revert to play untested juniors in these two key positions is madness and a step backwards in the team's development.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would rate Graham, Langlands, Goodwin, Johnson, Potter and Boyd and maybe Preston better fullbacks than Dugan. I also think that Dufty is a highly promising fullback who should have been given a go by now. He scored well in the last NSW Cup match and seems to be adjusting to a higher level.

Old Timer

Coach
In your opinion but others see it differently.
Many think Dugan is worth every penny.
IMO Hunt isn't worth what we paid but if that's what it took to get the deal done so be it.
Re Millward he stuck his nose into an area which created turmoil so f**k him he deserves criticism.
We paid overs for Hunt and we offered under's for Dugan and Packer and resigned a few juniors who can't get a run over KFFL and Mc Crone so some good, some bad but nothing there for me to have glowing adoration for his efforts.
Anyway we will only know the answers next year.