What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Gareth widdop returns

j0nesy

Bench
My team.1 Dugan 2 MacDonald 3 Milne 4 lafai 5 the legend 6 widdop 7 Mann the forwards pick themselves Sele starting to look very good.
Agreed, but it will be Mccrone at 7. Mary really rates him and Widdop has stated he likes playing alongside Mccrone.

mickeylane

Bench
McCrone will become one of our best players in the backend of the season when Widdop comes back!
He will be totally relieved from having to steer the team around and having the kicking duties that he will just enjoy the freedom of a simple game plan.. He would have learned a lot from the past 4 weeks - he said himself last week was his worst half of football in his career.. Funny thing is when he runs the ball he's quite dangerous and can set up a try or two as witnessed last night..

Mann is not the solution at 7..

possm

Coach
My team.1 Dugan 2 MacDonald 3 Milne 4 lafai 5 the legend 6 widdop 7 Mann the forwards pick themselves Sele starting to look very good.
McCrone will become one of our best players in the backend of the season when Widdop comes back!
He will be totally relieved from having to steer the team around and having the kicking duties that he will just enjoy the freedom of a simple game plan.. He would have learned a lot from the past 4 weeks - he said himself last week was his worst half of football in his career.. Funny thing is when he runs the ball he's quite dangerous and can set up a try or two as witnessed last night..

The description of McCrone's duties when Widdop comes back sounds very much like the way Mary's duties were stripped back. Now I understand why Mary is so much in the tank for McCrone.

RedVDave

First Grade
We have been good without Widdop in the team however when he comes back we will be a great team! McCrone is a great defender and has a fantastic passing game his kick game however is extremely uninspiring,

Reactions: Qdf

hazzbeen

Bench

Mickey , I dont know whether Mann is the solution at 7 or not all I know is he has to be in the team somewhere . Yea McCrone is tough willing and really not going that bad , so you might be right it might be to late to try someone in the 7 . I would have liked to see someone else given a go at 7 but like you say he defiantly has a go ....

mickeylane

Bench
Mickey , I dont know whether Mann is the solution at 7 or not all I know is he has to be in the team somewhere . Yea McCrone is tough willing and really not going that bad , so you might be right it might be to late to try someone in the 7 . I would have liked to see someone else given a go at 7 but like you say he defiantly has a go ....
I think our biggest problem is our right edge defence - i dont understand why more teams dont attack us out there...We saw Milne do a kamikaze rush in and leave 30 meters of uncovered space for Warriors to stroll in last night...i know that someone like Mann or Dugan on the right said would sew up any gasp..maybe someone needs to tell McGregor that Dugan at RC is not a bad move for the sake of the team...I know Mann is a gun defender and very disciplined so maybe at right centre is his calling as well...

hewi

Bench
I think our biggest problem is our right edge defence - i dont understand why more teams dont attack us out there...We saw Milne do a kamikaze rush in and leave 30 meters of uncovered space for Warriors to stroll in last night...i know that someone like Mann or Dugan on the right said would sew up any gasp..maybe someone needs to tell McGregor that Dugan at RC is not a bad move for the sake of the team...I know Mann is a gun defender and very disciplined so maybe at right centre is his calling as well...

U r correct, however unlike Aitken I think he only did it once. Mann is the goods, IMO one day he will be a superstar . Don't lose him.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The last game and a half that Mann has played, he has by far been our most dangerous half. His passing game is good, great right foot step and has pretty good vision. I wish he would take more of the kicking responsibility to demonstrate whether he is effective or not, but I assume McGrone does most of the kicking as that is the instructions from Mary. If he is to maintain his position anywhere in the 13, it will most likely be at right centre whilst Aitken is out, but I would like to see him get another proper crack at the 1.

hazzbeen

Bench
The last game and a half that Mann has played, he has by far been our most dangerous half. His passing game is good, great right foot step and has pretty good vision. I wish he would take more of the kicking responsibility to demonstrate whether he is effective or not, but I assume McGrone does most of the kicking as that is the instructions from Mary. If he is to maintain his position anywhere in the 13, it will most likely be at right centre whilst Aitken is out, but I would like to see him get another proper crack at the 1.
Brissy Mann is the real deal , you can see it I can see it and most members here see it , but do our coaching staff see it ? Mann is here with us lets not loose him , it will be hard to find a player that can fill in anywhere in the back line ....

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whem Widdop returns he will do most, if not all the kicking, so McCrone will stay at 7. McCrone sort of compliments Widdops game.
I'd have Mann at right centre or at full back and move Dugan to centre.
Nighty back to the wing which means the unfortunate one to miss out is Milne.
I'd still keep Field on the bench as he would provide cover for the entire backline without too much shuffling.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Brissy Mann is the real deal , you can see it I can see it and most members here see it , but do our coaching staff see it ? Mann is here with us lets not loose him , it will be hard to find a player that can fill in anywhere in the back line ....
Indeed he is and IMO is being wasted the way Mary has used him thus far. The use off the bench for minimal game time and when he does finally get a crack at one of his preferred positions, he is the first shifted in the case of injury. He is also being hamstrung in instructions as well with the obvious ploy to use McGrone as our sole kicker. Last night was also his first full game in a single position since he played centre in round 4 or 5? If that is stuffing around a player I do not know what is.

possm

Coach
Trouble is that we had so many right centre options: Dugan, Milne, Aitken and Herbert. And there are some very talented young backs coming through from NYC. We should always select the form player so for now it is Dugan but could be Milne if Dugan stays at fullback.

possm

Coach
You can see it, many on here saw it months ago. Do Dragons management and coaching staff see it?

possm

Coach
Whem Widdop returns he will do most, if not all the kicking, so McCrone will stay at 7. McCrone sort of compliments Widdops game.
I'd still keep Field on the bench as he would provide cover for the entire backline without too much shuffling.
Yes given the circumstances, right now I'd have:
1. Mann on trial sign him
2. Macdonald
3. Dugan but sign Milne and let him know he is in the frame for right centre.
4. Lafai sign him
5. Nightingale sign him
6. Widdop
7. Field
17 McCrone hooker/half

kenz272

Juniors

Crush

Coach
Indeed he is and IMO is being wasted the way Mary has used him thus far. The use off the bench for minimal game time and when he does finally get a crack at one of his preferred positions, he is the first shifted in the case of injury. He is also being hamstrung in instructions as well with the obvious ploy to use McGrone as our sole kicker. Last night was also his first full game in a single position since he played centre in round 4 or 5? If that is stuffing around a player I do not know what is.
I would like to see Mann 6 Widdop 7.
Or as Dugan is leaving next year, WHEN he gets his next injury this year and is on the sidelines for another month I wouldn't mind seeing Mann trailed at 1 to see if he is a suitable replacement.
I must admit, he looks dangerous when he runs the ball. He did push the pass a couple of times last night and doesn't look to be a natural kicker but he played very well. Great vision as you said.

Latest posts