What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Bests, Completed Goals, Milestones and General Achievement Thread

thorson1987

Coach
Pre 1st March 2017 I was sitting somewhere between 135 and 140kg.

Weighed in on Friday 2/6/17 at 113.1kg.

Decided to go on the Man Shake and actually give the gym a proper go this time.

Actually seeing the results and having people commenting on it has made it so much easier to do.

GAZF

First Grade
Pre 1st March 2017 I was sitting somewhere between 135 and 140kg.

Weighed in on Friday 2/6/17 at 113.1kg.

Decided to go on the Man Shake and actually give the gym a proper go this time.

Actually seeing the results and having people commenting on it has made it so much easier to do.
Well done. Dropping that kind of weight is no mean feat.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Started training for the auckland marathon about 8 weeks ago. 125.2kg down to 117.2. Struggling to finish 5km to cutting 90 seconds off a 7.5km run done a few times a week. Move it up to 10km soon

GAZF

First Grade
Took awhile, managed to squat 200kg for a double. Was quite happy about that :)
Very impressive. I've been stuck at 180 for a while, following repeated adductor strains. How long did it take, if you don't mind my asking?

Work has kept me down to a day a week at the gym, so I've been hitting nothing but heavy deads for the last 2 months. Worked my way up to 230 for a single, 220 for a double, and 210 for a triple over that period. Looking forward to dropping the weight, and not turning up to work every Monday with a face full of burst blood vessels.

Snoochies

First Grade
Very impressive. I've been stuck at 180 for a while, following repeated adductor strains. How long did it take, if you don't mind my asking?

Work has kept me down to a day a week at the gym, so I've been hitting nothing but heavy deads for the last 2 months. Worked my way up to 230 for a single, 220 for a double, and 210 for a triple over that period. Looking forward to dropping the weight, and not turning up to work every Monday with a face full of burst blood vessels.

Those are some impressive lifts there man.
I'm following the 5/3/1 template and I nearly got to 200kg pre covid. I dropped it all back again and worked my way up. On the last week of the cycle where you lift your heaviest weight for a minimum of 1 rep I ended up doing 10 so I readjusted the percentages and the program put me at 200kg for a single but managed the double. Think its just consistency but check out the Wendler 5/3/1 program if you haven't already. Everything is calculated for you and you just do what is says. If its too easy you can adjust up or down to suit.

GAZF

First Grade
Those are some impressive lifts there man.
I'm following the 5/3/1 template and I nearly got to 200kg pre covid. I dropped it all back again and worked my way up. On the last week of the cycle where you lift your heaviest weight for a minimum of 1 rep I ended up doing 10 so I readjusted the percentages and the program put me at 200kg for a single but managed the double. Think its just consistency but check out the Wendler 5/3/1 program if you haven't already. Everything is calculated for you and you just do what is says. If its too easy you can adjust up or down to suit.
Great that you're seeing success on 5/3/1. Ten reps on your top set is nuts, it sounds like your ceiling is considerably above 200 kg if you're still making that kind of progress.

I did 5/3/1 for around 3 years - its a great program, and a solid intro to periodisation. Gave it away at the end of last year though as the lower reps in the program, and my knack of delaying workouts due to work, meant that I wasn't getting enough volume each week to progress further. I made a lateral move to The Bridge which is higher volume and RPE based and had interrupted success with it. Consistency always seems to be the hard part.

Snoochies

First Grade
Great that you're seeing success on 5/3/1. Ten reps on your top set is nuts, it sounds like your ceiling is considerably above 200 kg if you're still making that kind of progress.

I did 5/3/1 for around 3 years - its a great program, and a solid intro to periodisation. Gave it away at the end of last year though as the lower reps in the program, and my knack of delaying workouts due to work, meant that I wasn't getting enough volume each week to progress further. I made a lateral move to The Bridge which is higher volume and RPE based and had interrupted success with it. Consistency always seems to be the hard part.
I'll go check that program out.

They say the best program is the one you stick to which is probably why 5/3/1 works for me, plus I'm getting older and the deload week is always welcome lol.