What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Adam Reynolds is 6 months younger, is a premiership winning halfback and deserved State of Origin rep. He has earnt his $700k contract.
Cody Walker signed a new deal late last year but on the back of some good form in the opening month or two of the season wants more and now appears disinterested. Who's to say he isn't this seasons Moses M'Bye?
Maybe he does deserve more but based on his current form and seemingly questionable attitude since the news broke, i wouldn't be in a hurry to renegotiate a new deal when he is less than 12 months in to the current one.
He can play fullback very well, we saw that last season when he was put back there, so the "out of position" claims don't hold much chop. It's not like he's been shunted to the wing or been put at hooker. FB and 5/8 are not to dissimilar from each other, hence why you see guys who are capable of playing both at an NRL standard.
It's not like he was carrying us when in the halves anyway. In his time at the club we've been a losing side, he disappeared against Bulldogs and was nonexistent when we played the chooks and i don't think he's had a true 80 minute performance playing at 6 or 7.
If he wants a raise, he needs to show us why he deserves one with results on the park. Otherwise there are plenty of other guys at the club who probably already deserve more than they're currently getting

Tbh there's 3 things wrong with your post

1. There are no better 5/8ths than Cody Walker on the current market if there were they would be well above 700k asking price.

2. Fullback and 5/8 are completely different positions. If they are the same then why can't john Sutton play at fullback? Fullbacks are required to do a lot more "off the ball work" than 5/8s. Kick returns are vital and Cody is quite terrible at them because he hasn't had much practice in positioning for kick returns this year. He will often let the ball bounce which is what rookie fullbacks do. 5/8s are also 1st receivers from the dummy half on set plays. This last part is so crucial in regards to Cody's form because Sutton and AR are too f**kING slow in getting it to Cody. Cody is a player that thrives off open space and time which is how he makes his creative plays work yet very often in games Sutton and AR will take too long to get the ball to him and he has very little space to run the ball with making him significantly less dangerous.

3. Adam Reynolds has been one of the worst halves in the competition this year. Only player worse than him would definitely be Sezer. If I was Cody and I had been playing out of my skin every game racking up try assists and tries and I saw Adam Reynolds playing not even half as well me I would be pissed off. Personally if I was Cody being paid peanuts and seeing Adam who gets paid triple my salary I would be asking questions about my salary as well. The most unfair part of these accusations as well is the fact that Cody didn't ask for the upgrade himself it was his new manager.

Personally the only people I have seen this year at Souths that deserve pay rises besides Cody are Crichton, AJ.. woops that's it.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I also find it funny that people are forgetting when Cody had every opportunity to ditch us and go to a much better, successful team in the Brisbane broncos. He also had the opportunity to play under Bennett which is basically what every NRL player loves to do. He stuck with Souths with a low wage but nah let's kick one of our best players to the curb because he asked for more money. I wonder how Cronulla feel about Maloney or how Newcastle feel about Nathan brown?

doyen

Bench

1. There are no better 5/8ths than Cody Walker on the current market if there were they would be well above 700k asking price.

2. Fullback and 5/8 are completely different positions. If they are the same then why can't john Sutton play at fullback? Fullbacks are required to do a lot more "off the ball work" than 5/8s. Kick returns are vital and Cody is quite terrible at them because he hasn't had much practice in positioning for kick returns this year. He will often let the ball bounce which is what rookie fullbacks do. 5/8s are also 1st receivers from the dummy half on set plays. This last part is so crucial in regards to Cody's form because Sutton and AR are too f**kING slow in getting it to Cody. Cody is a player that thrives off open space and time which is how he makes his creative plays work yet very often in games Sutton and AR will take too long to get the ball to him and he has very little space to run the ball with making him significantly less dangerous.

3. Adam Reynolds has been one of the worst halves in the competition this year. Only player worse than him would definitely be Sezer. If I was Cody and I had been playing out of my skin every game racking up try assists and tries and I saw Adam Reynolds playing not even half as well me I would be pissed off. Personally if I was Cody being paid peanuts and seeing Adam who gets paid triple my salary I would be asking questions about my salary as well. The most unfair part of these accusations as well is the fact that Cody didn't ask for the upgrade himself it was his new manager.

Personally the only people I have seen this year at Souths that deserve pay rises besides Cody are Crichton, AJ.. woops that's it.

I agree that Cody is a must at 5/8---JS there;SERIOUSLY!!!

I have always felt that AR has a game far too reliant on kicking with hardly anything else to offer!! Now that his kicking has gone off he's not worth two bob!!

Cody,IMO,is a far better player than AR.

AJ should be at FB ,NOW; & kept there until season's end---he has lots to learn,of course,& he'll learn best if he plays there consistently.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Don't bother with the don't knowers. They are a waste of time and a waste of your breath!!!!!!!

I am on the floor laughing at the comment there are many players over Cody that deserve pay rises!!!! Geez it's comedy in here tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

Your sensed doesn't belong here Souths til I die. Not many can comprehend your knowledge!!!!!

Also they are dreaming if they think Connor Tracey is the answer!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

I have always felt that AR has a game far too reliant on kicking with hardly anything else to offer!! Now that his kicking has gone off he's not worth two bob!!

AJ should be at FB ,NOW; & kept there until season's end---he has lots to learn,of course,& he'll learn best if he plays there consistently.
Problem is we are missing about 4 outside backs so there isn't much else to put out there.

We would have restrictions on our 2nd tier cap as well!!!!!

Just for the moment Cody has to remain at fullback.

When Gray and Hunt return then we could change it up and move Cody back to 6.

Travitoh

First Grade

In response...
1. Cody Walker isn't on the market. He is after an upgrade like James Maloney is rumoured to be.

2. It does come down to the individual of course but when you see guys like Matt Moylan, Anthony Milford, Greg Inglis, Cameron Munster and Clint Gutherson make the transition between positions with ease and at a high standard, there is no reason why Cody can't do the same when he has all the attributes to do so.

3. Cody hasn't been playing out of his skin every game, not sure if even half of our games this season. He performed well against a few weaker opponents and disappeared when it came to the tougher opponents.

Fuimaono and Hunt are two others I'd put more effort into re-signing than Cody at the moment.

The truth is that with Sutton at 6 we are a better side. Our worst performance was a single digit loss to Parra 5 days after a wet slog in Perth. With Cody at 6 there's Manly, Roosters and Bulldogs. Cody doesn't have the control and leadership that good halves need to be successful. Nor does he have the consistency.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

JS has been doing my head in consecutive weeks. If his gonna play 5/8th just let him run not do the fairy dance that he always does when he gets the ball.

I agree AR relies way too much on his kicking game which has been WAY down as well. Souths have one of the worst kicking efficiencies in the competition. Worse than the Newcastle knights. If we didn't have Cody this year we would of gotten the spoon.

doyen

Bench
Problem is we are missing about 4 outside backs so there isn't much else to put out there.

We would have restrictions on our 2nd tier cap as well!!!!!

Just for the moment Cody has to remain at fullback.

When Gray and Hunt return then we could change it up and move Cody back to 6.

But who are you going to play at 5/8?? Surely we have another 5/8 somewhere in our club!!!

Cody needs to be back at 5/8 post haste!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
JS has been doing my head in consecutive weeks. If his gonna play 5/8th just let him run not do the fairy dance that he always does when he gets the ball.

I agree AR relies way too much on his kicking game which has been WAY down as well. Souths have one of the worst kicking efficiencies in the competition. Worse than the Newcastle knights. If we didn't have Cody this year we would of gotten the spoon.
I must say I thought Sutto did a very good job on Friday night. I thought he didn't give Cody some more of the ball in space which was good to see. Sutto was better than AR the other night.

AR was very hesitant!!!!! He's just so out of sorts I think he's injured and down on confidence plus who knows what's happening in his personal life and he has 5 kids I think!!!!!!!

If we didn't have Cody or Sam we'd be wooden spooners. The don't knowers are happy to cull these 2 though!!!!!! No fugging clue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travitoh

First Grade
I'd be tempting the Sharks to release Maloney by offering them Cody in return. That way we get a quality 6 and Cody will get his raise.

Rabbits20

Immortal
But who are you going to play at 5/8?? Surely we have another 5/8 somewhere in our club!!!

Cody needs to be back at 5/8 post haste!!
Unfortunately we have to stick with what we have currently.

Kelly is woeful and isn't an option.

I think Madge will stick with Sutto at 6 for at least the next 3-4 weeks.

Sutto was better the other night so let's see how he goes against Penrith.

doyen

Bench

Cody has probably been the major player in all of the comp points we've scored so far-----his stats superlative at 5/8--he'll do good things wherever he plays but 5/8 is his best spot for team success!!

Having JS at 5/8 is such unprogressive,shy thinking!!!

Yeah--what is going on there with JS's "fairy dance?"

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
In response...
1. Cody Walker isn't on the market. He is after an upgrade like James Maloney is rumoured to be.

2. It does come down to the individual of course but when you see guys like Matt Moylan, Anthony Milford, Greg Inglis, Cameron Munster and Clint Gutherson make the transition between positions with ease and at a high standard, there is no reason why Cody can't do the same when he has all the attributes to do so.

3. Cody hasn't been playing out of his skin every game, not sure if even half of our games this season. He performed well against a few weaker opponents and disappeared when it came to the tougher opponents.

Fuimaono and Hunt are two others I'd put more effort into re-signing than Cody at the moment.

The truth is that with Sutton at 6 we are a better side. Our worst performance was a single digit loss to Parra 5 days after a wet slog in Perth. With Cody at 6 there's Manly, Roosters and Bulldogs. Cody doesn't have the control and leadership that good halves need to be successful. Nor does he have the consistency.

The difference between Walker and Maloney though is the fact that Maloney is asking for a mil a season and Cody would just be wanting more than 200k... the fact that there's people around here that don't want Cody because he's a spoilt brat but would take Maloney even though he's technically doing the exact same thing is biased as f**k..

People can make those transitions if they've been switching from those positions throughout their footy career. Cody has always been an out an out 5/8th and is why fullback is so unfamiliar to him. The odd thing is his defensive game at fullback is much better than AJ's.

You can argue that Cody isn't putting together 80 minute performances but then I could just argue straight back and say AR isn't putting in 10 minute performances so why should he be on triple Cody's salary?

Only reason the side looks better with Sutton at 6 is the fact that AJ is back at wing and we have our outside backs back. We have some class out wide which we didn't have when Cody was 5/8th. The proof is in the pudding without Cody we're a wooden spoon team.

Travitoh

First Grade
If Cody joined the Broncos, he'd be used as Origin depth. Milford and Nikorima would remain ahead of him in the pecking order

Rabbits20

Immortal
Maloney on 900k would be wasting a lot of our spare cap space.

We need at least 1 more good back, preferably 2.

Connor Tracey is so injury prone that I'd want another back up half like Mortimer for example.

We need at least 1 good prop signed.