What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston out for the remainder of season!

Snoop

Coach
For whatever reason the last time DCE played Origin he and Cronk just didn't gel together well. Good club form this year with Green at the club but he may have a red mark against his name in the minds of selectors.

The Beaver

Juniors
For whatever reason the last time DCE played Origin he and Cronk just didn't gel together well. Good club form this year with Green at the club but he may have a red mark against his name in the minds of selectors.

Didn't he replace Cronk and play with Thurston?

BennyV

Referee
Yes and instead of letting him play his natural game they tried to make him Cronk.
Exactly. Cronk is the general in the team and while JT himself is irreplaceable, his role in the team (ie to create off the back of any momentum gained whatsoever, as well as assist in kicking and general playmaking) is easier to replace than Cronks.

DCE seems like the bloke who best fills the gap - Milford and Morgan both lack the polish and kicking game that DCE can bring if he's in form.

Not going to complain if they don't pick him (as a NSWelshman).

Shorty

Staff member
He has played fantastic he's obviously going to be in the side somewhere.

King hit

Coach
Cronk is the vocal organiser. You could see it when he got sent off last year and he gave instructions to JT before leaving. They will miss JT'S attacking spark though.

I think I heard somewhere that Cronk said that he struggled in Game 1 because he didn't have Thurston yelling instructions in his ear. I remember watching the Sterlo miced up once and Thurston is yelling and directing the whole game.

OldPanther

Coach
I think I heard somewhere that Cronk said that he struggled in Game 1 because he didn't have Thurston yelling instructions in his ear. I remember watching the Sterlo miced up once and Thurston is yelling and directing the whole game.

That's interesting. I'd be interested to know how it's actually split between them at origin.

Thurston apparently was in the coaching box yelling instructions to Walters. That's what all the NSW fans who are drooling at the thought of our best retiring have to get through their heads. They will only be retiring from playing. In 'retirement' they will be directing the tactics, mentoring the up and coming players and generally contributing on every possible level to ensure that the Maroons remember, and build upon, these true heroes' legacies

Shorty

Staff member
I really doubt that, if you watch the games...Cronk bosses everybody around, this includes Smith and Slater.

I think Cronk is in charge of the overall game plan and structure while Thurston was instinctive and created opportunities as they happened.