What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V Gold Coast Member Benefits
Tue 20th June, 11:00AM
A A

1497925850425.jpg

The Dragons are heading to the Gold Coast for Round 17 of the NRL Telstra Premiership with some great member benefits available for local members or those travelling to the game.

Red V Members are exclusively invited to watch the captains run from between 4:30pm-5:30pm on Thursday, June 29 at the home of the Burleigh Bears (80 Pacific Avenue, Miami, Queensland).

Members will have the chance to meet the players at the conclusion of training.

Wear your red and white for your chance to win a best dressed prize.

RSVP is encouraged by Monday, 26 June.

And if you’re hungry afterwards show your member card for a special meal deal at Burleigh Bears Leagues Club.

Red V Members are also able to access discounted tickets for the Round 17 match. Check your emails for a link to ticket discounts.

Gold Coast Titans v St George Illawarra Dragons
Friday, June 30
CBUS Super Stadium

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/20/red_v_gold_coast_mem.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons forward De Belin banned for NRL crusher tackle

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

20 Jun 2017, 1:27 p.m.
r0_0_4230_2820_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Charge: Jack de Belin. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

DRAGONS forward Jack de Belin will miss Sunday’s NRL clash against Newcastle, after being found guilty of a crusher tackle in Sunday’s loss to Parramatta.

De Belin was penalised with 10 minutes to go, when he took Ken Edwards to the ground with an arm wrapped around behind his head, in a tackle with centre Tim Lafai.

Edwards rose to play the ball in clear discomfort, the only penalty Parramatta were given in a game they won 24-10.

The NSW shadow player was slapped with a grade one dangerous contact charge, but with 25 carryover points and a 50 per cent loading from a similar offence in the past two years, he was to serve missed one match even with an early guilty plea.

Instead, he contested the charge, but in a hearing in Sydney on Tuesday night, was found guilty and will have 75 carry-over points, as well as missing the Alex McKinnon Cup against the Knights, named in his close mate’s honour, the former Dragons and Newcastle player who suffered a spinal injury which ended his career in 2014.

De Belin will also miss out on playing a role as a shadow player for NSW, as the Blues try to secure the State of Origin series on Wednesday night at ANZ Stadium.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-belin-banned-for-nrl-crusher-tackle/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan brings up NRL century
Wed 21st June, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan will bring up his 100th NRL game on Sunday afternoon against the Newcastle Knights at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

Vaughan – who many have tipped to be one of the buys of the year competition-wide – has enjoyed a huge start to his Dragons career.

Fitting in nicely within the Dragons' front row rotation that also includes Russell Packer, Leeson Ah Mau and Tariq Sims, Vaughan has made the most of his time in the Red V jumper since joining from the Raiders.

While the Dragons' have lost their past two games, it didn't dim Vaughan's spirits in regards to his latest milestone.

"It's very exciting and pleasing to get that little milestone for myself," the Gungahlin Bulls junior said.

"I'm pretty happy with how my form has been personally this year. The boys collectively have been playing pretty well too.

"The last couple of weeks we have fallen away a little bit. But we will correct our wrongs, and I'm sure we will finish strong in the back end of the season."

Vaughan was adamant that the Dragons' recent losses wouldn't define the season that's been so far.

"I think it would be pretty naive to think that you are going to go through the season without any hiccups. You just have to weather the storm," Vaughan said.

"It's a real important block for us the next couple of week. We have two weeks and a bye where we can earn some crucial competition points if we can string some games together.

"Getting some boys back and freshened up for the back end of the season, it will put ourselves in really good stead for the back end of the season."

The 26-year-old also refused to take the Newcastle Knights lightly this weekend, ahead of the third-annual Alex McKinnon Cup.

"I've talked to the boys about how [Newcastle] have shown that they can keep up and stay in games for long periods of time," Vaughan said.

"They have had a couple of rough losses this year but I'm going up against my good mate Mitch Barnett this weekend so it will be a good fun.

"Hopefully we can give a good round performance."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/21/vaughan_brings_up_nr.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Milestone man Vaughan to lift in absence of Origin rep

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

21 Jun 2017, 1:15 p.m.
r0_0_4230_2820_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BIG OUT: Jack de Belin. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra prop Paul Vaughan says it will take a collective effort in the middle of the park to fill the considerable void left by Jack de Belin, who was rubbed out of Sunday’s clash with Newcastle on Tuesday.

De Belin unsuccessfully challenged a grade one dangerous contact charge arising out of an apparent crusher tackle on Parramatta back-rower Kenny Edwards in the the Dragons 24-10 loss to Eels last Sunday.

It also ruled him out of Origin II on Wednesday where he was set to warm up as the Blues’ 18th man, with Trent Merrin rushed in as a late replacement.

Having hit some wobbles in recent weeks, dropping five of their last seven games, de Belin’s suspension comes at a poor time for the Dragons as they look to avoid three losses on the bounce against the Knights.

It will be a milestone match for Vaughan, who will notch his 100th first grade game since debuting in the NRL with the Raiders in 2013.

He will no doubt have to shoulder a greater load against the Knights, but he said his side will need several players to lift in de Belin’s absence.

“He’s a fantastic player. He’s in State of Origin camp for a reason, it’s because he’s a gun,” Vaughan said.

“It’s going to be a pretty big void there but other boys have just got to step up.

“Whether it’s playing extra minutes or doing a it of ball-playing, we're confident we can do that.

“He leaves some big shoes to fill but I’m sure whoever steps up there will be more than capable.”

De Belin has been the glue in what – with Vaughan and Russell Packer – was the form middle unit of the competition over the opening 11 rounds.

That power game saw the Dragons big men earn plenty of raps in a 6-1 start to the season and, having gone under the radar early on, Vaughan believes rival packs have lifted in recent weeks.

“Team’s have been targeting our middle a fair bit but that’s no excuse, we’re up to it,” Vaughan said.

“We’ve been getting some extra attention but we’ve got to combat that.

“I think we have been doing that, our strength is still our middle, it’s just little things and a little bit of polish there.

“I think we’ve just gone away from things that were working for us. Just simple things like push around the footy and that kind of stuff.

“We’re not too worried about it, we’ve just got to get back to doing things the way we know we can.”

Injury and representative commitments have disrupted the middle part of the Dragons season.

They’ve also been sluggish coming out of their round 12 bye and, having got off to a flyer in 2017, Vaughan said it was inevitable his side would hit a few speed bumps at some stage.

“You can’t go through a season perfectly,” Vaughan said.

“You’d be pretty naive to think you’re going to go through a whole season without any hiccups and we’ve just hit a few hiccups at the moment.

“You’ve just got to weather the storm there, even if we do have a couple of down weeks.

“This little period coming up is a real important block for us. We’ve got two weeks and then a bye.

“If we can string some wins together and get that bye, we can come back freshened up for the back end of the season and put ourselves in a good position.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4744677/collective-effort-to-fill-de-belin-void/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan and Frizell to back up for Dragons after Origin loss

22 Jun 2017, 1 p.m.
r0_0_2968_1979_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NO CIGAR: Josh Dugan was one of the Blues' best on Wednesday night, but it wasn't enough to get his side over the line. Picture: Getty Images

NSW blew it. Josh Dugan admits as much, but the St George Illawarra fullback insists the Blues won’t carry any mental baggage from their game two defeat into the decider at Suncorp Stadium in three weeks’ time.

Dugan was among the Blues best in the 18-16 loss, saving what looked like a certain try to Michael Morgan on the stroke of halftime and producing a strong cameo at fullback after James Tedesco left the field for an HIA late in the second half.

It wasn’t enough to get his side home, with Jonathan Thurston’s sideline conversion snatching a last gasp Maroons victory.

“It’s a pretty sombre feeling, I think it was definitely one we let slip,” Dugan said post-match.

“We were probably guilty of putting the cue in the rack and trying to defend our lead rather than playing the footy that got us there in the first place.

“We were having a fair bit of success up the middle and playing fast and flat but I think we probably tried to push a few passes that weren’t on and went away from our game plan.

“We came up with come crucial errors that gave Queensland a sniff and they ended up getting away with it. Queensland’s a quality side, they’re always going to turn up at the end and we just fell short.”

It was certainly a tough pill to swallow, but Dugan said the loss won’t leave his side with any lingering mental scars heading into a decider that will be a farewell match for Thurston and, most likely, Cooper Cronk.

“We played some of the best footy NSW has played in a number of years up there in game one and again for the first 60 minutes [on Wednesday] we played our style of footy,” Dugan said.

“In that last 20 we just went away from it. Opportunities arose for us but we just weren’t executing and that’s the lesson we need to take from it, executing in those pressure moments.

“Almost isn’t good enough anymore. We've got to come up with those big plays at big times. We’ll learn from it and hopefully go up there game three and do it again.”

Dugan will now turn his attention to arresting a two game losing streak when the Dragons take on Newcastle at Kogarah on Sunday, after coming through the match unscathed.

“I just copped a bit of knock on the inside of my knee but I’ll definitely be right to go,” Dugan said.

“It’s been a tough few weeks for the boys but hopefully me and Friz [Tyson Frizell] can get back there bring some energy and hopefully get the win on Sunday.”

Frizell was also one of NSW’s best despite needing a pain-killing injection to carry a niggling rib cartilage injury through the game. He’s confident he’ll be right to back up for the Dragons where he looms as the likely replacement for the suspended Jack de Belin at lock.

“I’ve had a couple of niggling injuries hanging around for a while now so it’s nothing too different,” Frizell told the NSWRL.com.

“In big games like this you put it aside. It’s nothing too serious. I’ll be fine [to back up], it’s just something I’ve got to carry.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4746765/defeat-wont-leave-mental-scars-dugan/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V Members Advisory Forum Meet
Fri 23rd June, 10:00AM
A A

1498188230768.jpg;pvae8cdf961574a5d4

The newly-appointed Members Advisory Forum had their first meeting with Dragons management on Monday, June 12 at ANZ Stadium, prior to Dragons' clash against the Bulldogs in Round 14.

Established in 2015, the Members Advisory Forum provides members an opportunity to provide direct feedback and input into the Red V Membership program.

That also includes other areas of the member and fan experiences including game days, merchandise and communications.

The forum members represent a range of different Red V Membership packages and categories with the aim of helping shape the Red V Membership program, including package flexibility, choice of member benefit items and recognition of loyalty and commitment.

At the initial meeting the group was provided with an introductory overview on the whole of game as well as the Dragons' business. An outline on how the Members Advisory Forum had worked in the past and its plans for the future.

The focus was then narrowed to focus on membership, in particular, a review of the 2017 program and benefits, and the timelines on the 2018 program.

Dragons Membership and Ticketing Manager, James Peters, said that he and Dragons management were pleased with the initial meeting and were excited for what can be potentially achieved with the group moving forward.

"The Members Advisory Forum is a fantastic opportunity for direct feedback to help improve our programs. The passion and commitment in the room for the Dragons was exceptional," Peters said.

"This was just an initial meeting and opportunity for Dragons management to provide some background information about the business and membership program in particular, as well as outline the future direction and plans."

"The members were very engaged and already provided beneficial and constructive feedback," Peters added.

"We are really looking forward to seeing what we can develop and achieve over the next 18 months with this passionate group of Red V Members."

The Dragons would like to thank our Members Advisory Forum participants for their contribution and ongoing commitment to the club.

The Dragons would also like to remind and encourage all Red V Members to provide feedback, suggestions and submit questions to/for management via email - redv@dragons.com.au - at any time.

Members Advisory Forum Participants:

Name

Surname

Package

Tenure

Peter Nowfel Platinum 12

Leanne Hicks All In 16

Maxine Molloy All In 16

Greg Young All In 15

Peita Diamantidis Dragons Dozen 14

Vanessa Connolly Kogarah Upgrade 5

Colin Rayner Heartland 1

Jeremy Jones 6 Game Flexi 3

Chris Hoycard Kogarah Pass 8

Garry Womsley Kogarah Pass 4

Charlie Monti Kogarah Pass 16

Chris Atlee Wollongong Pass 1

Andrew Horne Wollongong Pass 8

Rachel Moncrieff Wollongong Pass 8

Matthew Bailey Wollongong Pass 4

James Cheal Dragons Faithful 1

Michael Hellyer Dragons Faithful 9

Jack O'Hara Dragons Faithful 7

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/23/red_v_members_adviso.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons forward primed for clash with former club
ROBERT DILLON
24 Jun 2017, 11:48 a.m.
r0_0_4464_2976_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PRIMED: Dragons forward Tariq Sims is looking forward to taking on his former club on Sunday. Picture: Getty Images

TARIQ Sims says he will always fondly remember his stint at the Newcastle Knights, declaring that the adversity he encountered made him a better player.

Sims will line up against his former Newcastle teammates for the first time on Sunday when St George Illawarra host the Knights at Kogarah Oval.

The rugged back-rower joined the Knights from North Queensland at the start of 2015, playing in 27 games before seeking a mid-season release last year to sign with the Dragons.

In that time, he won only four games in the red and blue and was part of two wooden spoon teams. Yet he insists he “cherished” his 18-month stint, in particular the honour of being named as one of Newcastle’s 2016 co-captains.

“It obviously boosts your confidence when you join a side that is winning regularly, but on the other hand, I learned a lot of lessons at the Knights, a lot of hard lessons that I don’t take for granted,’’ Sims told the Newcastle Herald.

“When times are tough, I look back at those days when we were battling and copping it from every angle.

“It definitely has made me a better player. I’m stronger mentally to handle certain situations on the field.

“So here at the Dragons, when we’re on the front foot and on top of teams, I can look back at the tough times I’ve been through and use that as motivation.’’

Sims said he did not want to dwell on the circumstances leading to his departure from the Knights, other than saying the Dragons offered him an opportunity “too good to knock back”.

Within six months of his exit, his brother Korbin also sought a release to join the Broncos.

“I’ve got nothing bad to say about the Knights,’’ he said. “It’s a great club with a very rich history and I’m very proud to have represented the Newcastle Knights and captained the club.

“My time there was short but I’ll always look back on it as a happy time for myself and my family.”

Sims said he was satisfied he gave 100 per cent for the Knights until the end. In his final four games before leaving, he averaged 109 metres in attack and 32 tackles.

“I was very happy with my game at the Knights,’’ he said.

“I was making the most tackles I’d ever made and the most metres in each game, but it was obviously a bit tougher because we were struggling to get forward.

“Comparing this year to last year, it’s pretty hard to do.

“The pack down here, we know our roles. We know what’s needed and when it’s needed.

“At the Knights, we were rebuilding and starting again.”

He said there was “always a bit of extra meaning” about playing against a former team.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4750367/tough-times-in-newcastle-helped-shape-sims/?cs=3713

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Red V Members Advisory Forum Meet
Fri 23rd June, 10:00AM
A A

1498188230768.jpg;pvae8cdf961574a5d4

The newly-appointed Members Advisory Forum had their first meeting with Dragons management on Monday, June 12 at ANZ Stadium, prior to Dragons' clash against the Bulldogs in Round 14.

Established in 2015, the Members Advisory Forum provides members an opportunity to provide direct feedback and input into the Red V Membership program.

That also includes other areas of the member and fan experiences including game days, merchandise and communications.

The forum members represent a range of different Red V Membership packages and categories with the aim of helping shape the Red V Membership program, including package flexibility, choice of member benefit items and recognition of loyalty and commitment.

At the initial meeting the group was provided with an introductory overview on the whole of game as well as the Dragons' business. An outline on how the Members Advisory Forum had worked in the past and its plans for the future.

The focus was then narrowed to focus on membership, in particular, a review of the 2017 program and benefits, and the timelines on the 2018 program.

Dragons Membership and Ticketing Manager, James Peters, said that he and Dragons management were pleased with the initial meeting and were excited for what can be potentially achieved with the group moving forward.

"The Members Advisory Forum is a fantastic opportunity for direct feedback to help improve our programs. The passion and commitment in the room for the Dragons was exceptional," Peters said.

"This was just an initial meeting and opportunity for Dragons management to provide some background information about the business and membership program in particular, as well as outline the future direction and plans."

"The members were very engaged and already provided beneficial and constructive feedback," Peters added.

"We are really looking forward to seeing what we can develop and achieve over the next 18 months with this passionate group of Red V Members."

The Dragons would like to thank our Members Advisory Forum participants for their contribution and ongoing commitment to the club.

The Dragons would also like to remind and encourage all Red V Members to provide feedback, suggestions and submit questions to/for management via email - redv@dragons.com.au - at any time.

Members Advisory Forum Participants:

Name

Surname

Package

Tenure

Peter Nowfel Platinum 12

Leanne Hicks All In 16

Maxine Molloy All In 16

Greg Young All In 15

Peita Diamantidis Dragons Dozen 14

Vanessa Connolly Kogarah Upgrade 5

Colin Rayner Heartland 1

Jeremy Jones 6 Game Flexi 3

Chris Hoycard Kogarah Pass 8

Garry Womsley Kogarah Pass 4

Charlie Monti Kogarah Pass 16

Chris Atlee Wollongong Pass 1

Andrew Horne Wollongong Pass 8

Rachel Moncrieff Wollongong Pass 8

Matthew Bailey Wollongong Pass 4

James Cheal Dragons Faithful 1

Michael Hellyer Dragons Faithful 9

Jack O'Hara Dragons Faithful 7

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/23/red_v_members_adviso.html
Any of them on here

getsmarty

Immortal
Ex-Dragons hooker Cameron King to end long wait for NRL recall
Matt Encarnacion and Scott Bailey
26 Jun 2017, 3:58 p.m.
r0_221_4320_2659_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hurt: Cameron King comes off injured while at the Dragons. Picture: Chris Lane

Cameron King is set to end a 733-day wait for an NRL recall when he answers Parramatta's hooking crisis in Thursday's clash against Canterbury.

Following season-ending injuries to Kaysa Pritchard (ACL) and Isaac De Gois (concussion), Eels coach Brad Arthur is expected to name King in the No.9 jumper to take on the Bulldogs.

It will be the first time King will appear in the NRL since a stint with North Queensland almost exactly two years ago, and his first run-on start since playing for St George Illawarra in 2013.

Eels players were disappointed to lose the popular Pritchard for the year, but backed King to step up in what is likely to be an emotional return to the top grade at ANZ Stadium.

"He's a massive loss, Kaysa. He hasn't in the past been given that opportunity to play 80 minutes, and he just got comfortable with that role," forward Kenny Edwards said on Monday.

"Cam Kingy, he's been in reserve grade for about six to 18 months now, so he deserves his crack and hopefully he can take it with two hands."

Despite being frozen out last year due to the Eels' well-publicised salary cap issues, King opted to re-sign with the club last summer in the hope of one more crack.

He has suffered major shoulder, chest and knee injuries in the past three years.

"It's not good for Kaysa, but for Kingy it's good he gets his opportunity and all the boys are confident he'll get the job done," he said.

Utility Will Smith - who came off the bench to fill the hooking void in the Eels' last-start win over the Dragons - is likely to be King's back-up against the Bulldogs.

"Kaysa Pritchard at the start of the year was struggling to get out the 80 minutes. So I put my hand up to be the person that could come off the bench and support him," Smith said. AAP

r0_192_3919_2395_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Looking ahead: Former Dragons hooker Cameron King playing in 2013. Picture: Darren Pateman

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...king-to-end-long-wait-for-nrl-recall/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons face crucial NRL games after final rounds draw released

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

27 Jun 2017, 9:34 a.m.
r0_187_3000_1874_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Finals countdown: Dragons celebrate scoring a try against Newcastle. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

St George Illawarra will be under Friday night lights at the SCG and Suncorp Stadium in their bid to secure an NRL top four position.

After the final rounds fixtures of the season were released, the Dragons will meet old foes South Sydney at the former home of rugby league’s grand final in August.

They also travel to Brisbane for what will be a crucial showdown in the finals race.

Channel Nine plans to simulcast five Saturday night matches in the closing rounds of the NRL season each year in the next broadcast cycle, but could again miss out on the regular season's most pivotal match despite providing wall-to-wall coverage of this year's finals run-in.

Free-to-air viewers will have the ability to watch NRL on four consecutive days in the last five weeks of the season – and from 2018 onwards under the $1.8 billion TV deal – after head office released the scheduling for the final six rounds of this year's competition on Monday.

But the potential minor premiership decider between Melbourne and the Roosters could again be a ratings bonanza for Fox Sports, who will exclusively televise the round 23 clash on a Saturday evening from AAMI Park.

Nevertheless, Nine will screen some crucial matches with finals implications on its rarely used Saturday night timeslot from round 22 which would have ordinarily been restricted to pay TV subscribers.

Those matches include the latest chapter of the simmering Sharks-Raiders rivalry, the clash between the competition's two most recent premiers Cronulla and North Queensland, another top-four showdown between the Sharks and Roosters before Cooper Cronk's Melbourne farewell against Canberra in a replay of last season's preliminary final.

The arrangement between the two broadcasters to reverse simulcast matches from Fox onto Nine is likely to be replicated next year and through to the end of 2022.

It has avoided the calamity of last year when some of the end of season's most influential matches were blocked from free-to-air given there was almost no wriggle room for a re-pick facility with the NRL round stretching from Thursday to Monday, heightening player welfare concerns.

But the elimination of Monday night football has allowed the biggest late season games to be shown across both rugby league broadcasters.

"Our objective will always be to ensure the game is available to as broad an audience as possible," an NRL spokesperson said. "Having matches on free-to-air on all four days over the final five rounds will allow more people to watch the NRL premiership."

Nine will have 23 Thursday night games from next season – up from 18 – when the NRL takes greater control of the draw next year in what is proposed to be a shorter 25-round competition to allow for the introduction of a stand-alone State of Origin weekend.

The final six rounds of this year's fixtures featured just six five-day turnarounds which makes the days of Melbourne's three games in 10 days on the eve of the 2015 finals series long forgotten.

Most teams in finals contention will wrap up their regular season commitments on either a Thursday, Friday or Saturday to allow for longer recovery leading into the post-season.

"This is a great example of what can be achieved if there is a united approach by the NRL, clubs and players to issues that arise in the game," Rugby League Players Association general manager of player relations Clint Newton said.

"We will continue to work towards reducing the overall number of five-day turnarounds for players again in 2018 and beyond."

But free-to-air darlings Brisbane vented their frustration at having a request for a Sunday afternoon home game ignored despite two Thursday night and three Friday night games in the final six weeks.

"Am I disappointed that we're unrepresented in Sunday afternoon football again this year? Yes I am," Broncos chief executive Paul White said. "It gives us a bit of diversity in our scheduling.

"It's no secret that it gives families the opportunity, particularly younger people, to come to a game. We think that's vitally important.

"There isn't too many levers either our club could pull or the game can pull, with broadcasters largely having control over the draw.

"A lot's made of our over-representation in Thursday and Friday night timeslots, but I really want to let our members know that we are out there fighting for them."

The Eels were the big winners having to only leave ANZ Stadium once in the final six rounds with all of those matches set down for Thursdays and Fridays.

Ratings winners the Bulldogs (five) and Tigers (four) will also feature prominently on Nine in their last six games despite both struggling to be in the finals picture.

DRAGONS DRAW
Round 20: Sunday, June 23 v Sea Eagles (2pm) at WIN Stadium

Round 21: Saturday, June 29 v Knights (3pm) at McDonald Jones Stadium

Round 22: Friday, August 4 v Rabbitohs (6pm) at SCG

Round 23: Saturday, August 12 v Titans (3pm) at UOW Jubilee Oval

Round 24: Friday, August 18 v Broncos (7.50pm) at Suncorp Stadium

Round 25: Sunday, August 27 v Panthers at Pepper Stadium (4pm)

Round 26: Sunday, September 3 v Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium (4pm)

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...mes-after-final-rounds-draw-released/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Jason Nightingale notches 100th NRL try for St George Illawarra Dragons
Andrew Parkinson
27 Jun 2017, 6 a.m.

• r1042_207_3208_1348_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_63_4032_2330_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_311_5184_3226_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_0_4200_2361_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
PHOTOS | NRL 2017 round 16 St George Illawarra Dragons 32-28 Newcastle KnightsPictures: Chris Lane
It was a decade ago that Jason Nightingale scored his first NRL try on debut for St George Illawarra at Kogarah.

Which made it fitting that the veteran winger – a Renown United junior – notched his 100th try in the red v at the club’s spiritual St George home.

Nightingale crossed for a hat-trick against Newcastle on Sunday as St George Illawarra fought back from 28-10 down at half-time to record a thrilling 32-28 victory.

It was the 30-year-old’s third treble of the season as Nightingale also chalked up his 99th and 101st career tries.

“It was [a good comeback]. We spoke about it at half-time, it was pretty season-defining what we did in that second half,” Nightingale said.

“Luckily we came up with the goods and I think we just got back to playing simple and I think that was the mindset that helped us maintain the momentum in that second half and get across the line a few times.

“It’s strange, I’m scoring in groups of three this year. It’s only the third time I’ve scored in a game and [that’s my] third hat-trick. It’s very exciting playing outside of [Tim Lafai], he’s in fine form. And also Gareth [Widdop], he does put it on a dime for you a lot of times and [I’m] very grateful to get across the line for the hundredth [try].”

Dragons coach Paul McGregor paid tribute to the former New Zealand international whose first two tries gave St George Illawarra a 10-0 lead before his third drew the Dragons level midway through the second half.

“He’s been outstanding and like a bottle of red wine he just keeps getting better with age,” McGregor said.

“Another hat-trick… he’s always a guy that goes out and plays to his potential. He’s a big metre-eater at the back of the field. He knows how to get to the try line and the boys really like his leadership. He’s a pleasure to coach.”

It was a day of hat-tricks, as Newcastle fullback Nathan Ross crossed for a treble of his own inside the first half hour to help the Knights pile on their seemingly unassailable lead.

St George Illawarra were booed off at half-time by many of the more than 10,000-strong crowd at UOW Jubilee Oval.

But the Dragons’ comeback was complete with 13 minutes remaining as Kurt Mann showed good strength to cross out wide.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4751799/photos-gypsy-notches-century-in-dragons-fightback/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
For Peats sake, McInnes keeps Dragons focus on NRL top four

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

27 Jun 2017, 11:48 a.m.
r0_0_2141_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Patient: Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes will take on NSW representative Nathan Peats in Friday's NRL game. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes has dismissed the prospect of launching a personal duel with NSW and Gold Coast rival Nathan Peats on Friday.

McInnes was discussed a potential Blues bolter after an outstanding start to the Dragons’ NRL campaign.

Peats was outstanding in his State of Origin debut, taking over from Robbie Farah.

However, with coach Laurie Daley’s future uncertain and NSW at risk of losing another Origin series after letting game two slip, McInnes could yet be on the radar for representative duties, sooner rather than later.

Admitting it’s a goal to play Origin, McInnes said his focus would be on keeping the Dragons in the top four hunt, rather than proving a point against Peats.

“One day I’d be honoured to maybe make NSW,” he said. “But I don’t compare or look to anyone else to do what they do, I just want to play good footy for the Dragons. If your name’s being tossed up, then you’re going OK. But when I was getting tossed around (as a NSW hooker option), the Dragons were playing consistently good footy every week and putting teams to the sword.”

McInness was an emerging junior talent, before making his NRL debut in 2014, when Peats was also at South Sydney.

Three years younger than Peats, he said the now Titans dummy-half had played a role in his own development.

“I had some time with Peatsy when we were at Souths,” he said. “He was good to me and helped me along. He’s been outstanding for the Blues and deserves his crack there.

“It will be good coming up against a hooker like him, I always enjoy the competition against guys like him, Cameron Smith and Jake Friend.”

Just three of the Dragons remaining nine opponents are currently in the NRL top eight. The Dragons have a bye next week after Friday’s trip to the Gold Coast.

McInnes is adamant the Dragons will have to discover the form which took them to the top of the ladder, to finish in the top four.

“There is a good opportunity for us heading into the bye, to get some points and try and cement that spot in the top four,” he said. “(But) if you want to fall into looking at the table, I don’t think it’s a good headspace to be in.”

• THE RUN HOME
Dragons draw

Round 17: Friday v Titans at Cbus Super Stadium (6pm)

Round 18 bye

Round 19: Friday, July 14 Raiders at GIO Stadium (7.50pm)

Round 20: Sunday, July 23 v Sea Eagles (2pm) at WIN Stadium

Round 21: Saturday, July 29 v Knights (3pm) at McDonald Jones Stadium

Round 22: Friday, August 4 v Rabbitohs (6pm) at SCG

Round 23: Saturday, August 12 v Titans (3pm) at UOW Jubilee Oval

Round 24: Friday, August 18 v Broncos (7.50pm) at Suncorp Stadium

Round 25: Sunday, August 27 v Panthers at Pepper Stadium (4pm)

Round 26: Sunday, September 3 v Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium (4pm)

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-keeps-dragons-focus-on-nrl-top-four/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Gallery: 10+ Year Member Loyalty Event
Wed 28th June, 02:00PM
A A

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud of our members and especially thankful for those who support the club consistently year on year, exclusively inviting those who have been members for 10 or more consecutive years to a special Member Loyalty Event last Saturday.

Hosted at UOW Jubilee Oval, the Loyalty event, which has been running since 2014, recognises the continual efforts of our members and aims to give back to our long-running members.

Over 200 members gained exclusive access to players, watching the Captains Run training session, as well as meeting the players after the training. Host and Dragons legend, Steve Edge, introduced the team, interviewing Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan ahead of their clash with the Newcastle Knights.

Attendee Corinne said ‘The whole function was really well done. It was great seeing the players training and then mixing with them in the members’ area. We met most of the players and coach Paul McGregor and found them all to be very polite especially Tariq Sims and Jason Nightingale.’

Aside from the players, there were plenty of gifts and giveaways for members as well as our Loyalty Passport competition. Prizes included Team Store Vouchers, World Cup Tickets and a life-sized Jack De Belin Ant-Man cut-out, signed by De Belin himself.

Attendees then witnessed the Round 16 jersey presentation with 18 lucky members being selected to present the jerseys to the players on stage in a unique opportunity.

The Dragons would like to thank all Members for their support and loyalty.

To become a Red V member and be invited to events like this, visit www.marchwithus.com.au and join today.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/28/photo_gallery_10_yea..html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons premiership player Hornby helps Dufty back on NRL path

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

28 Jun 2017, 10:26 a.m.
r0_0_4134_2717_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Bouncing back: Young Dragons fullback Matt Dufty is finding his feet this season in NRL squad this season.

AN IN-DEPTH chat with premiership captain Ben Hornby has helped young gun Matt Dufty avoid becoming the forgotten man of St George Illawarra’s campaign this season.

Dufty was a member of the 2016 under 20s team of the year and earmarked as a future St George Illawarra.

But he admits losing his way this year trying to prove he was ready for the big time.

“I started the season pretty slow, I wasn’t playing good footy,” he said. “Then I just had a talk with Benny Hornby and some of the other coaches, about not trying to focus on getting to the NRL and just to focus on playing good footy (for Illawarra’s NSW Premiership feeder team). Since I’ve done that, my season has turned around, I’m really happy with where I’m at.”

Dufty’s early-season struggles had resulted in him falling behind experienced winger Jason Nightingale, utility player Kurt Mann and Shellharbour junior Jai Field in the pecking order.

But Dufty and Field are considered as the main contenders to take over Josh Dugan next season, after the NSW representative player signed with Cronulla, following a prolonged stand-off with the Dragons.

Hornby – the joint venture club’s games record holder – who debuted in 2000 and spent some of his career at fullback, before winning the 2010 title as captain and fullback, was the voice of reason for Dufty.

“Definitely, it’s mostly mental,” Dufty said of his turnaround in form.

“When you’re just worrying about wanting to play first grade, you’re not worrying about playing footy for the team you’re playing in.

“That was a big thing for me, just trying to focus ion playing footy for (Illawarra) and playing good there.”

Dufty was named as part of Paul McGregor’s 21-man squad for Friday’s showdown with the Gold Coast, but will line-up for Illawarra against Mounties in Canberra on Saturday. Having won last year’s NSW Premiership and national championship crowns as the Cutters, Illawarra are seventh on the ladder, but just three points behind Penrith and Mounties in the top four.

“One of the goals is to finish top four and get that home semi,” Dufty said.

r0_0_2211_3282_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-hornby-helps-dufty-back-on-nrl-path/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Farrell left high and dry after injury-enforced retirement

29 Jun 2017, 11:30 a.m.
r0_0_3000_2084_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CUT SHORT: Dylan Farrell has has told The Locker Room podcast that he's received next to no support from the game since injury forced him into early retirement in 2016. Picture: Getty Images

IT’S always a shame to see a player of great talent not realise their potential through injury.

Unfortunately that’s the fate that befell former Rabbitohs and Dragons centre Dylan Farrell. It’s a reality he’s accepted as he told former NRL player, now media-man, Denan Kemp’s The Locker Room podcast this week.

What he’s had to endure post-retirement, no one in the game should accept. In a small snippet of the full interview released on Tuesday, Farrell revealed that, 19 months since being forced into retirement by a back injury, he’s yet to receive any of the insurance pay-out he’s rightfully entitled to.

Dylan Farrell speaks to Denan Kemp about his post-retirement struggles. Video: The Locker Room

He’s also heard only silence from the Dragons and the NRL as he’s sought support in chasing it up. He’s had to sell his house and move home amid financial difficulties that put him “at the lowest of the low.”

For all the game’s talk of investment in, and prioritising of, player welfare, it’s a sad reality that when players are no longer an on-field asset, they quickly become expendable.

Hopefully Kemp’s effort in bringing the story to light will help Farrell, a family-man and one of the nicest blokes you’ll meet in the game, get what he’s entitled to.

Hopefully it also serves as a wake-up call for the game and and a reminder of that the duty of care it owes it’s players doesn’t cease the minute they walk off the field.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...rrell-story-an-indictment-of-the-nrl/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons July Holiday Clinics
Thu 29th June, 03:00PM
A A

1498688384582.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons will run rugby league holiday clinics this July, with sessions at WIN Stadium, Wollongong and Carss Park, Blakehurst in the coming weeks.

Area

Date

Age Group

Wollongong

6th July

5-12 years

Kogarah (Carss Park Blakehurst)

10th July

5-12 years

Registrations are now open at http://www.playnrl.com/programs/.

Simply type the postcode 2500 to find the Wollongong clinic or 2217 for the Carss Park Clinic

The clinics will cost $40 per child.

As part of the day, each child will be given the opportunity to rub shoulders with their favourite players at both Kogarah and Wollongong clinics as well as going home with a Dragons football and t-shirt.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/29/dragons_july_holiday.html

St Georgio

Juniors
JUNE 29, 2017
COULD A SPOOKY, SIX-DECADE STATISTIC CRUSH THE DRAGONS’ DREAMS?
By Alby Talarico.

All sports fans know the comfort of superstition, and all sports tipsters tend to hold a quiet reverence for it – rugby league being no exception. Blake Austin won’t shave his goatee. Tyson Frizell wears those black boots. Woodsy has to have his hair done right. On the fan front, the Blues Brothers go for a flutter at the casino the night before Origin (not all superstitions are successful).

Then there are trends that lend themselves to becoming superstition, such as the second-year to third-year rule. For four decades from 1962, the team that won the grand final in the second year of the decade would also win it in the third. St. George won in 1962 and 1963; Manly won in 1972 and 1973; Parramatta won in 1982 and 1983; and the Broncos won in 1992 and 1993. Of course, the Roosters buggered it all up when they lost to the Panthers in 2003, but then that’s just the kind of disregard for history that you’d expect from Easts, isn’t it?

The Eleven Phenomenon

There’s one modern team with a trend so spooky that it has stayed alive as superstition for six decades. And that, dear tipsters, is the St. George Illawarra Dragons and their dual-club relationship with the number eleven.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a league fan unaware that from 1956 to 1966, the St. George Dragons won elevenpremierships in a row. But with the introduction of the four tackle rule in 1967 it all came to an end, and they were knocked out in the preliminary final by the Canterbury Bankstown not-yet-Bulldogs, led by former Dragon Kevin Ryan. The score? Berries: twelve; Dragons: eleven.

The team appeared in the 1971 and 1975 grand finals and were competitive during the interceding years, but no premierships. That was until 1977, when they again lifted the J.J.Giltinan Shield in a triumphant 22-0 grand final replay against Parramatta – eleven years after their last grand final win.

They only played one grand final in the ’80s, 1985 (completing another numerical trend of theirs, a year-five trifecta of 1965, 1975, and 1985), which was lost again to arch-enemies Canterbury Bankstown, who had by that point scored themselves a name – the Bulldogs. But they did win the 1988 Panasonic Cup Eleven years after winning the Premiership in 1977.

Eleven years after their 1985 battle, they played their last grand final as a standalone side, losing to Manly in 1996. In 1992 the Illawarra Steelers defeated Brisbane 4-2 to win the Tooheys Challenge Trophy and made the finals for the first time. It was their eleventh season.

In 1999 the two teams merged to become the St. George Illawarra Dragons – eleven years after the St. George Dragons’ last trophy. And though they came close in 2005, the team didn’t appear in any grand finals in the noughties. That was saved for their 2010 grand final win – eleven years after the merger.

Nothing Comes Close
So what could this mean for their dipping performance in 2017, following that strong start? We asked an expert. “After looking through plenty of unique stats, nothing comes close to the eleven phenomenon for St. George,” says rugby league statistician and historian Andrew Ferguson, co-owner of the Rugby League Project and Stats Amazingcolumnist at Commentary Box Sports. “The closest are much smaller. Andrew Ettingshausen scored five tries in a game twice, both occurring on August 27 – in 1989, against Illawarra, and 1994, against Souths. And St. George won their first title on August 30, 1941 – Graeme Langlands was born two days later on September 1, 1941.

“But as for tipsters looking at that sort of figure inspiration, I’m more inclined to look at more current data – for example, first half and second half scoring data this year has continued to follow pretty strong trend lines.”

With the first round of the finals kicking off in eleven weeks, maybe there’s time yet for the Dragons to climb back to the top rungs of the eight, and possibly nab the trophy? Here’s hoping fans of the joint venture won’t have to wait until 2021 – eleven years after the first.

Latest posts