What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos NRL Matches Discussion + Voting

gUt

Coach
ah thanks, yeah I spotted the NZ designs on it. We were their first ever game I believe.

I have a Cowboys fan mate who's hammering me about why the f**k the Broncos would wear sky blue at any time let alone days before SOO

renouf

Juniors
I don't know what you could've expected from him in the Warriors game... 6 weeks out with a leg injury (so unfit) and behind a trounced forward pack, receiving only 2 penalties.

Yeah dunno.. all valid points but Hunt has had issues before.. I liked the way they've been playing without Hunt, I thought the side would really struggle without him.

Nerd

Bench
Probably helps that we've played easy beats when Nikorima was in, and good teams when Hunt was in. Some of the games in Niko's run we should've won comfortably but got away with under pretty fortuitous circumstances.
Possibly but our attack looks a lot more fluent and unpredictable with Nikorima at half. I for one am happy that Hunt is off to the Dragons next year.

Nerd

Bench
We didn't deserve to win that one. I'm flabbergasted that Bennett has Hunt doing the majority of the kicking while Benji is on the field. The big difference in the teams is that the Roosters took their chances when they were down our end and we didn't. I'm trying not to rant about Hunt too much but whenever he had the ball we look ordinary and whenever Benji gets the ball we look dangerous in attack. Saw that Moga actually twice beat an opposing player and one of these resulted in a try.

3. Marshall
2. Moga
1. McGuire

Bronco18

Juniors
We'll it's happened boys.

Good luck Nikorima, I hope you keep building on what you've started and become our next long term halfback.

renouf

Juniors
Well that was a surprise! Didn't think it would happen so quickly, should be interesting now

Nerd

Bench
We were lucky to get away with that one. Korbin Sims showed tonight why he will probably never be picked for Origin. Leading by 10 points taking a run early in the tackle count and making good metres he decides to attempt a miracle around the corner ball that was never on. Souths subsequently march down the field and are in a position for which they score a try to put them within striking distance for an upset.

If Milfords out i'm hoping it's the Kodi and Benji show in the halves after the bye. Let Benji do the majority of the kicking and Kodi to take the line on.

Nerd

Bench
Benji is certainly in a purple patch. Hunt had some good touches when he came on but also had 2 shockers. That wayward pass that was picked up for the length of the field try and that forward pass to Blair who had over run him. When Hunt takes the line on he looks good, but when he trys to be a ball distributor for the forwards he's got no idea and should leave that to Marshall. Benji should play as halfback and Hunt at 5/8 which will force him to run the ball more. I'm also surprised that Hunt is doing the tactical kicking when Marshall who is a much better kicker is on the field.

I don't watch many Canberra games but I can see why they're struggling. Sezer just doesn't appear to be up to NRL standard.

renouf

Juniors
This is definitely a good thing, Marshall playing well.. maybe we could make a challenge for the title with him there. Need some luck with injuries though.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Gillett
2. Marshall
1. Offa

Probably one of the best game Offa has played for the Broncos. Hope he can keep it up and find some consistency.

Hunt did some excellent things (almost 2015-esque) but more or less ruined with some very bad plays. The two mentioned by Nerd and also another where he cross-field kick into in-goal that was easily caught leading to a 7 tackle set. Dont get me wrong Hunt had overall a good game but you really want your supposed dominate half to ice those games, we had plenty of chances for that game not to go down to the wire.

I don't think anyone had a bad game. A very impressive win sans Boyd and Milford.

Nerd

Bench
Just way too many errors and the good teams like the Storm will punish you every time. I had to have a laugh when Cameron Smith was appealing to the refs for a quicker play the ball a few times. The Storm were given massive leniency by the refs in the ruck and I don't believe were penalised once for holding down or leaving the line early but I suppose good teams make their own luck.

I'm starting to worry that Bennett is losing it as Hunt was having yet another shocker but was left on the field to about the 60 minute mark before Nikorima went on which by that time the game was gone. I know Hunt scored a try but he was directly responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries. Another loose pass same as against Canberra leads to a Melbourne try, misses a one on one tackle on Munster and Melbourne score on the next tackle and then throws an intercept for their last try. Twice maybe 3 times we were caught with the ball on the 5th tackle and Hunt as halfback and obviously first choice kicker has to take ownership of those errors. When Nikorima did come on within 5 minutes of being on the field he made a great run up the middle of the field. I also think when Hunt is on the field Marshall is letting or has been told to let Hunt run the team and considering the great form Marshall is in is an error by Bennett.
There is one telling statistic in that more than not if Hunt starts we lose if Nikorima starts we win.

The whole team has to stand up for that performance as on two occasions the wingers unnecessarily came in and gifted their opposition tries and Blair and Sims were guilty of loose passes but at the end of the day Hunt is woefully out of form, is leaving the club at the end of the season and we just can't win with him as half. I say tell Nikorima he's the half for the rest of the year and see what he can do. It can't be any worse that what Hunt has been producing.

renouf

Juniors
Just way too many errors and the good teams like the Storm will punish you every time. I had to have a laugh when Cameron Smith was appealing to the refs for a quicker play the ball a few times. The Storm were given massive leniency by the refs in the ruck and I don't believe were penalised once for holding down or leaving the line early but I suppose good teams make their own luck.

Does anyone really know why Melbourne always get away with it? I know they are good at it but so good that the refs miss it every week?

League guru

Juniors
Does anyone really know why Melbourne always get away with it? I know they are good at it but so good that the refs miss it every week?
Their just a better team, with better players and a better coach. Blair gives away too many stupid penalties. How does he continually get away with tackling players 5 minutes after they have passed the ball.

Howwy

Juniors

I'm starting to worry that Bennett is losing it as Hunt was having yet another shocker but was left on the field to about the 60 minute mark before Nikorima went on which by that time the game was gone. I know Hunt scored a try but he was directly responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries. Another loose pass same as against Canberra leads to a Melbourne try, misses a one on one tackle on Munster and Melbourne score on the next tackle and then throws an intercept for their last try. Twice maybe 3 times we were caught with the ball on the 5th tackle and Hunt as halfback and obviously first choice kicker has to take ownership of those errors. When Nikorima did come on within 5 minutes of being on the field he made a great run up the middle of the field. I also think when Hunt is on the field Marshall is letting or has been told to let Hunt run the team and considering the great form Marshall is in is an error by Bennett.
There is one telling statistic in that more than not if Hunt starts we lose if Nikorima starts we win.

The whole team has to stand up for that performance as on two occasions the wingers unnecessarily came in and gifted their opposition tries and Blair and Sims were guilty of loose passes but at the end of the day Hunt is woefully out of form, is leaving the club at the end of the season and we just can't win with him as half. I say tell Nikorima he's the half for the rest of the year and see what he can do. It can't be any worse that what Hunt has been producing.

I'd be happy if someone just tossed that ground announcer/urger/cheerleader under a bus - I swear nearly every time he does his shtick Something Bad Happens. I guess he just doesn't understand the First Law of crowd support, enunciated by Wally Lewis to the 2001 Origin team, to wit that the crowd can only be effective when the players give them something to cheer for first ...

If this was some sort of playoff for the Qld 6 then it looks like Munster's to lose and Ben can ... well dream anyway.

I'm wondering how it can be that (presumably) highly trained and (definitely) highly paid pros can look like nervy high schoolers at the formal dance. What actually goes on at training ? I thought the whole idea of training/prep is to improve yet Ben still can't kick with precision (does he even like to kick a ball?) or lead the team. Maybe he is a "doer" more than a thinker or a surgeon.

Indeed the side didn't even look that well coached, the contrast with the crisp Storm professionalism is a bit foreboding.

hellteam

First Grade
That penalty around the 55th minute or so absolutely killed us. No idea what it was for, they didn't show a replay. We had all the running and then Melbourne get a 4th tackle penalty, go up the field and score.