What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we learn something from super rugby?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The point of this thread is that expansion by itself is no indication or proof of success.

Super Rugby has over reached itself in Australia, and damaged the established markets along with the expansion markets...

There is a lesson to be learnt...

Simple fact is Australia hasn't bought into the union international club model, coupled with the game generally being sht and a poor imitation of RL and without the benefit of powerful old school support Like it gets in Europe and it's no wonder it is on the nose. Without a decent fta contract any sport is going to struggle.

taipan

Referee
The union mob have increased their local clubs from 3to 5.The limited talent pool is insufficient to handle this.Regardless of FTA contracts, if the talents "ain't there" no amount off FTA coverage is going to solve teh problem.
The question is without News Ltd monies earlier in the piece, where would the Storm be as of today.Relocated/ Dead in the water? Hypothetical I know ,but it cost a motza to establish as any NRL expansion club would.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The union mob have increased their local clubs from 3to 5.The limited talent pool is insufficient to handle this.Regardless of FTA contracts, if the talents "ain't there" no amount off FTA coverage is going to solve teh problem.
The question is without News Ltd monies earlier in the piece, where would the Storm be as of today.Relocated/ Dead in the water? Hypothetical I know ,but it cost a motza to establish as any NRL expansion club would.

To be fair to the ARU the talent probably is their to fill 5 Australian teams they just can't compete with the money on offer from the NRL or in the northern hemisphere.

taipan

Referee
To be fair to the ARU the talent probably is their to fill 5 Australian teams they just can't compete with the money on offer from the NRL or in the northern hemisphere.

Not so much the NRL ,the Northern Hemisphere more like it.The decision to go openly professional has helped some countries and hindered others.Australia being the one country to get whiteanted.The 2003RWC was supposed to put the ARU on the map, it didn't.The ARU squirted $45m up against the wall.

Really very few union players from Oz,have been snapped up by the NRL for a long time.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not so much the NRL ,the Northern Hemisphere more like it.The decision to go openly professional has helped some countries and hindered others.Australia being the one country to get whiteanted.The 2003RWC was supposed to put the ARU on the map, it didn't.The ARU squirted $45m up against the wall.

Really very few union players from Oz,have been snapped up by the NRL for a long time.

The NRL take them when they're juniors, not once their value is artificially increased by playing Super rugby.

I reckon you'd be surprised by how many NRL players went through the Union system when they were young if you looked into it.

taipan

Referee
The NRL take them when they're juniors, not once their value is artificially increased by playing Super rugby.

I reckon you'd be surprised by how many NRL players went through the Union system when they were young if you looked into it.

I understand that and am not surprised.But also a fair swag of young uns play both rugby codes at school and weekends.Also there are rl juniors put into Union private schools as part of their contract.The Bulldogs have done it.Roach's kids were an example.
I played union at school,only rugby code available.Played union on Saturdays for the school..

Seriously with the mob playing Super rugby ATM,what ones would you take for NRL? Ok Folau,Cooper/Beale/O'Connor?

I'm all for rl taking athletes from whatever sport, our competitors don't hold back in doing so.The French have been doing it for decades, hence their rl sides in the latter 20th Century have been ordinary.

But the Nth Hemisphere is really screwing up NZ and Australian top line union players.Dan Carter for a start.

taipan

Referee
Sad.

Its a global game right?

Cant Head Office chip in?

Bill Pulver had his BMW nicked a couple of days ago.He just doesn't have enough spare cash in his pockets.

The Force can have public donations,the Rebels private backing ,and the Brumbies public servants with hyphenated surnames.If there needs to be a cull to get back to a watchable comp IMO,one has to go.Else they will continue on their ever declining slide ,down the whirlpool of extinction in this country.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It has been mentioned a few times that the ARU should ditch SANZAAR. I completely agree with this. IMO the ARU should either go it alone with a domestic comp ala NRL. It would be at a level somewhere between NRC and Super Rugby. They would get some TV money surely... Otherwise they should seek to convince NZ (which might be hard), Japan and the Pacific islands to set up a new comp in our timezone. I'm not convinced SA is the money spinner they say they are.

That said I would be very happy from an NRL point of view to watch the ARU implode and lose Super Rugby clubs (a shame for the fans though). Of all codes, NRL fans should know the damage caused when a club is cut. That said, it would be a pity if the Canberra stadium was scrapped if the Brumbies got the axe. Although, I thought it was already scrapped so the ACT Govt could pick up the pieces of the Mr Fluffy asbestos mess.

taipan

Referee
What I found out yesterday in the Snoring Herald,in a column written by Geogina(Rah rah) Robinson,that the Vic Govt have promised to fund a State Govt Joint rugby league/rugby union centre of excellence, based at La Trobe Uni.
The state Govt has hinted this is under a cloud with the threat of axing(Rebels).
This is one time the NRL could also miss out.
On that basis being the kind ,generous and community minded gent that I am,I say with reluctance"Goodbye Force,you are the weakest link."Or to be precise P*ss off quietly"

taipan

Referee
With all the " money" the Pirates have ,they could buy it.That would be another selling point to get them in the NRL.
It would be wasted if the Force were flicked.

siv

First Grade
The biggest mistake Rugby League was to let people so called administrators from NSW run the game the have all the foresight of a gnat & the courage of the cowardly lion
Gould growls & they go to water. sacking the Pom was the stupidest thing they did & this from an administration who jump at the own shadow & are not overly bright
. .

I think you will find that our Qld cronies led by Ribot were the ones that wanted to purge clubs

There was a high vibe 20 team national comp before they stepped in

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez if only we had an nrl with vision and balls. The state govt are going to be desperate for a new tenant for nib stadium and announcing the Pirates admission in 2019-2020 the day after the Force cut is announced would put rugby league instantly in the driving seat in WA.

Billythekid

First Grade
The NRL will use this as justification NOT to expand. They will say this is an example of what happens if you expand too quickly and also that Perth isn't a guaranteed success.

jim_57

Staff member
The NRL will use this as justification NOT to expand. They will say this is an example of what happens if you expand too quickly and also that Perth isn't a guaranteed success.

That's what I was thinking actually, I can see the quotes now as to why this is a reason NOT to expand.

Pommy

Coach
Geez if only we had an nrl with vision and balls. The state govt are going to be desperate for a new tenant for nib stadium and announcing the Pirates admission in 2019-2020 the day after the Force cut is announced would put rugby league instantly in the driving seat in WA.

It's Friday and I'm not sure why it hasn't happened.
Even if in the long run the NRL had to cull a club for talent concerns I'm sure it wouldn't be Perth if it gets a foothold.

BuffaloRules

Coach
One thing that can be learnt from Yawnion is to just put off making a bad decision forever....

Still no news on which team is getting the chop...

Latest posts