What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

Shorty

Staff member
I assume that players and coaching staff would have a bit more knowledge than some posters on an internet forum.

insert.pause

First Grade
Haha And so Hunt, a bog average halfback (that offers less off the bench) is going to take Morgans spot! Thats the issue... You are pretty simple.
Morgan/Munster are better options at 5/8 than DCE & Hunt is a better utility than DCE. I haven't heard any obvious alternatives to Hunt on the bench, other than DCE.

myrrh ken

First Grade
it will have to be the smallest backline QLD have fielded in a long time, especially if Chambers goes down and Hunt come on.

alchemist

Juniors
if we assume that Cronk and Thurston will not be there for QLD from next year onwards, then Cherry-Evans should be considered the favourite to take over the Maroons halfback spot and the QLD team can and should be structured around him

but for now, i think QLD need a more complimentary piece at five eighth to fit in with Smith, Cronk and Slater and why i think Morgan was the right choice

not sure why QLD have gone with Munster in the centres though... i thought moving Gagai to centre and bringing Oates back in onto the wing with Munster on the bench as a utility a more natural selection path

Cletus

First Grade
I assume that players and coaching staff would have a bit more knowledge than some posters on an internet forum.

I'm sure they know more about the internal team politics than we do, there's clearly a reason they didn't pick the form halfback in the comp.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm sure they know more about the internal team politics than we do, there's clearly a reason they didn't pick the form halfback in the comp.
Who also can't cover positions like Hunt can, who also hasn't actually been in or trained with the squad in years.
Morgan to five eight was always the best choice because he actually plays in the team, Munster has a combination with the Storm guys and Hunt/Munster has been on the train on side for the past 18 months.
It isn't terribly hard to grasp.

If DCE isn't picked next year when a new halves pairing needs to be decided then have kittens, until then the only head scratcher is the fact that Hunt's form is less than desirable.

Cletus

First Grade
Who also can't cover positions like Hunt can, who also hasn't actually been in or trained with the squad in years.
Morgan to five eight was always the best choice because he actually plays in the team, Munster has a combination with the Storm guys and Hunt/Munster has been on the train on side for the past 18 months.
It isn't terribly hard to grasp.

If DCE isn't picked next year when a new halves pairing needs to be decided then have kittens, until then the only head scratcher is the fact that Hunt's form is less than desirable.

Well that's one way of looking at it, another is Thurston can't stand DCE and won't be around the team next year. Why couldn't you have DCE 7, Morgan 6 and Hunt on the bench? It makes a lot more sense than bringing in a 22 year old rookie as starting half for a must win game. That is just crazy.

big hit!

Bench
Morgan/Munster are better options at 5/8 than DCE & Hunt is a better utility than DCE. I haven't heard any obvious alternatives to Hunt on the bench, other than DCE.

what is a halfback? what is a five-eighth? you're assuming the numbers on their backs correlates to the position of yesteryear which is defunct in modern football.

you only have to watch a manly game to see that even though green has #6 on his back, he will generally be inside DCE on most open-side plays and basically facilitate as an intermediary to get the ball out to the edge. it's DCE orchestrating on both edges committing the line to a defensive play and delivering the ball to the edge forward, Turbo or the outside backs in this manly team.

Shorty

Staff member
Well that's one way of looking at it, another is Thurston can't stand DCE and won't be around the team next year. Why couldn't you have DCE 7, Morgan 6 and Hunt on the bench? It makes a lot more sense than bringing in a 22 year old rookie as starting half for a must win game. That is just crazy.
I doubt Munster is starting at 5/8, it will be Morgan.

First Grade
if we assume that Cronk and Thurston will not be there for QLD from next year onwards, then Cherry-Evans should be considered the favourite to take over the Maroons halfback spot and the QLD team can and should be structured around him

but for now, i think QLD need a more complimentary piece at five eighth to fit in with Smith, Cronk and Slater and why i think Morgan was the right choice

not sure why QLD have gone with Munster in the centres though... i thought moving Gagai to centre and bringing Oates back in onto the wing with Munster on the bench as a utility a more natural selection path
Gagai to the centres, seriously has nobody beside Knights supporters seen Gagai play at Centre for the Knights? I wish with all my might QLD would move him to the centres and watch the flow of points through the turnstile it would create. Plus Oates is in hospital with a Staph infection.

alchemist

Juniors
Gagai to the centres, seriously has nobody beside Knights supporters seen Gagai play at Centre for the Knights? I wish with all my might QLD would move him to the centres and watch the flow of points through the turnstile it would create. Plus Oates is in hospital with a Staph infection.

fair enough, i don't really watch the Knights but i still think Gagai a more natural fit at centre than Munster

i didn't realise Oates' health problems... my bad

insert.pause

First Grade
what is a halfback? what is a five-eighth? you're assuming the numbers on their backs correlates to the position of yesteryear which is defunct in modern football.

you only have to watch a manly game to see that even though green has #6 on his back, he will generally be inside DCE on most open-side plays and basically facilitate as an intermediary to get the ball out to the edge. it's DCE orchestrating on both edges committing the line to a defensive play and delivering the ball to the edge forward, Turbo or the outside backs in this manly team.
That's the issue with dce though, he needs to run the show to be most effective.

Canard

Immortal
I can't stand DCE's personality. He's a smarmy prick. But in 2017 he deserves to be in the QLD side ahead of Morgan, Munster, Milford, Hunt AND Cronk. Kevvy's full of sh*t this time.

The argument against DCE being picked is easy. He has played 6 times and been mediocre to poor each time. He basically QLD's version of Shitchell Piss.

That in no way is an argument for Hunt however.

big hit!

Bench
fair enough, i don't really watch the Knights but i still think Gagai a more natural fit at centre than Munster

i didn't realise Oates' health problems... my bad

ludicrous to move one of their consistently better performers from the role he's been doing it in

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Disappointed Qld didnt pick Gagai in the centres and Mbye must be very unlucky. Would love to see him get his chance. DCE doesnt deserve to be picked cause he has clearly upset little Cam. Hunt is an inspired selection and clearly little Cam has signed off on it.

Go the Blues!

The Beaver

Juniors
The argument against DCE being picked is easy. He has played 6 times and been mediocre to poor each time. He basically QLD's version of Shitchell Piss.

That in no way is an argument for Hunt however.

Absolute tripe. He's played limited minutes from the bench in most of those games, as a running forward, and the game he gets criticised for the most Qld lost 6-4. Thurston as the experienced, so-called future immortal should've stood up in that game. Instead, he threw the inexperienced Origin player under the bus after the game. It showed Thurston's true colours, despite how many pairs of headgear he gives to children.

In the fair dinkum department, we keep hearing that 3 or 4 of these QLD blokes are future immortals, but then on the flipside it's DCE's fault they lost that game? Either Cronk is the man, and makes these other guys appear far greater than they are, or blaming DCE is a massive cop out and the other blokes fizzed and should share the blame.

If DCE doesn't fit into the culture of QLD, but domestic violence perpetrators are kosher, then it says a lot more about the QLD culture than it does about DCE. Good culture to avoid I think.

Latest posts