What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strength of Domestic Competitions

UpTheKnights

Juniors
I know this may be ambitious however i would like to get everyone's ideas on the relative strength and stability of domestic competitions around the world. Excluding the big 3 how would you rank the strength/stability of various domestic competitions around the world. This may be hard to determine but in your opinion based upon information available/experience what would be the top 5 strongest domestic leagues outside the big 3

adamkungl

Immortal
Broken down into 5 tiers, guessing purely on numbers and visible pathways.

1. France would be 4th, followed by PNG. = Sydney RM Cup / League One
2. Then Wales, and Fiji. = Local A grade / English Conference League
3. After that Ireland, Tonga, Samoa probably at a similar level. = Local Reserve Grade
4. Lebanon, Italy, USA are likely a bit behind them. = shitty local reserve grade
5. Scotland is borderline non-existent. = Tasmanian League

UpTheKnights

Juniors
Broken down into 5 tiers, guessing purely on numbers and visible pathways.

1. France would be 4th, followed by PNG. = Sydney RM Cup / League One
2. Then Wales, and Fiji. = Local A grade / English Conference League
3. After that Ireland, Tonga, Samoa probably at a similar level. = Local Reserve Grade
4. Lebanon, Italy, USA are likely a bit behind them. = shitty local reserve grade
5. Scotland is borderline non-existent. = Tasmanian League

Would you place Serbia, Russia and Jamaica somewhere in-between tier 4 and 5 or would you regard these as similar to the other nations in tier 4

adamkungl

Immortal
Would you place Serbia, Russia and Jamaica somewhere in-between tier 4 and 5 or would you regard these as similar to the other nations in tier 4

This is all guesswork on my part really so I wouldn't read too much into it. But I'd say they're around the 4 level due to lack of higher competition pathways and mostly short histories in the game.

Page 21-22 of the RLEF doc has participation numbers for each member nation.

Coastbloke

Bench
What about local NZ Comp outside the Warriors and NSW Cup?
Pre Warriors, The Auckland Rep side used to beat visiting national teams. Doubt that would happen now.. :confused:

adamkungl

Immortal
What about local NZ Comp outside the Warriors and NSW Cup?
Pre Warriors, The Auckland Rep side used to visiting national teams. Doubt that would happen now.. :confused:

Even though the top National Comp is disappointingly tiny the overall NZ picture is good enough to be supplying the Warriors and wider NRL at 3 levels with professional quality players.

UpTheKnights

Juniors
The participation numbers certainly do make for interesting reading, personally the statistic i was most surprised at was 4100 youth matches in France compared to England's 5800, and the discrepancy between the junior matches at 4100 and the senior matches at only 1100

Coastbloke

Bench
Even though the top National Comp is disappointingly tiny the overall NZ picture is good enough to be supplying the Warriors and wider NRL at 3 levels with professional quality players.

It's frustrating isn't it in regard to France. Given participation rates and the strength of local club competitions, France should be much stronger than they are.

I know there is still entrenched opposition to League in union areas, but the fact they have Catalans and Toulouse and English clubs offering contracts to the likes of Escare and Fages indicates the players are there. I would have liked Casty to,have stayed in Australia.

There must be some additional talent in Elite 1 and junior comps (Youth Tests seem to be competitive) out there..

UpTheKnights

Juniors
It's frustrating isn't it in regard to France. Given participation rates and the strength of local club competitions, France should be much stronger than they are.

I know there is still entrenched opposition to League in union areas, but the fact they have Catalans and Toulouse and English clubs offering contracts to the likes of Escare and Fages indicates the players are there. I would have liked Casty to,have stayed in Australia.

There must be some additional talent in Elite 1 and junior comps (Youth Tests seem to be competitive) out there..

I'm not overly familiar with the performance of Catalans in the ESL, however as i understand it the french national side is dominated by Dragons players. Does this have a negative impact on the national team and would french players receive better development at other SL clubs or is the development through the Catalans pathway not an issue.

Latest posts