What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were CEO how would you handle expansion

taipan

Referee
Id follow the AFL model of speculating to accumulate, genius!

Surprise ,surprise.
Yep and have one of your former best expansion teams lose money year after year(millions0,and have to be continually pumped up by H/O.Now running last.
And two others needing tens of millions annually to survive in addition to the cap.
And of course retains sh*t house Tv ratings in expansion markets.
To the detriment of the melbourne based clubs the heartland.
The panacea for all that is perfecto.Brilliant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprise ,surprise.
Yep and have one of your former best expansion teams lose money year after year(millions0,and have to be continually pumped up by H/O.Now running last.
And two others needing tens of millions annually to survive in addition to the cap.
And of course retains sh*t house Tv ratings in expansion markets.
To the detriment of the melbourne based clubs the heartland.
The panacea for all that is perfecto.Brilliant.

And yet still making more money than it loses in expansion. I'd take two non heartland expansion nrl clubs plus $20mill profit in the bank every year over what we have in the nrl, which is neither expansion nor extra money.

alien

Referee
Looking at the comp at the moment, I just don't think there is enough talent for any new teams - I want a strong comp. There should be a Perth team and an Adelaide team, but at this stage I believe they should be relocations from Sydney. Roosters and Sharks are fine financially, but geographically I think they should be the 2 clubs that relocate. Adelaide Sharks and Perth Roosters. Dragons would take over the Cronulla Sutherland district (they would have an area from the St George district, all the way down to the South Coast), and Rabbitohs would take over the Eastern Suburbs district, and probably play their home games at the SFS. Manly to take over the Central Coast district and call themselves Manly-Central Coast Sea Eagles, and play a few games (or maybe half of their home games) every year at Gosford Stadium. I think the Warriors should play half of their home games in Auckland, and a quarter of their home games in Christchurch, and a quarter of their home games in Wellington.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I can see the conversation now

grant: nick I want you to move the Roosters to Perth, all of the board will need to resign so it can be Perth owned.
Politis: wtf John are you on drugs? Why would we?
Grant: because we need a more national comp
Politis: get fcked, we have a license forever and won't be moving anyway
Grant: oh please, it's for the greater good
Politis: ok time for a new chairmen of the commission

taipan

Referee
And yet still making more money than it loses in expansion. I'd take two non heartland expansion nrl clubs plus $20mill profit in the bank every year over what we have in the nrl, which is neither expansion nor extra money.

Oh I forgot and putting up 8 posts on every field.Play games in Wellington NZ ,even though the locals couldn't give a rats.

Making more money and wasting a lot more money, and not gaining one iota on Nthn Tv ratings.
Of course you take 2 non heartland clubs.Based on crowds of late Perth wouldn't be one of them.Adelaide and Wellington NZ would be a better shot.

You assume having two non heartland clubs under the current TV stations ' financial problems," would mean such an increase in TV contracts to gain $20m profit LOl.Your a genius .Trouble is this firstly is not 2016,secondly any profits incurred are being used to prop up the Lions,fund the Suns struggling and GWS with COLA and all the extras.They already have plenty of money for grassroots we didn't simples.

Bruce Gordon and Lachlan Murdoch want you on board as an adviser on TV monies.You appear to know the financial lie of the land from 2023 LOL.
It's been spelt out time and time again by journos involved in the media,that cricket rights will be a lot less next time,the ABC League got a minimal increase, union couldn't get a dollar if the players were all buskers on George Street and the two major codes TV ratings are not what one would expect.

The PR mantra,is stuff grassroots.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Yeh I can see the conversation now

grant: nick I want you to move the Roosters to Perth, all of the board will need to resign so it can be Perth owned.
Politis: wtf John are you on drugs? Why would we?
Grant: because we need a more national comp
Politis: get fcked, we have a license forever and won't be moving anyway
Grant: oh please, it's for the greater good
Politis: ok time for a new chairmen of the commission

Nick would say "Move it to Perth LOLThey can't even get a quorum for a game.The economy is stuttering along.We are pumping money into the CC.
Grant" but PR(an authority on anything including nuclear physics and particularly AFL) said it's for the greater good, and diluting teams and reducing funding to grassroots doesn't matter"
Interjector"How about the greater good of getting the game back on to solid foundations and growing the juniors inserted of letting them wither?"

BuffaloRules

Coach
Nick would say "Move it to Perth LOLThey can't even get a quorum for a game.The economy is stuttering along.We are pumping money into the CC.
Grant" but PR(an authority on anything including nuclear physics and particularly AFL) said it's for the greater good, and diluting teams and reducing funding to grassroots doesn't matter"
Interjector"How about the greater good of getting the game back on to solid foundations and growing the juniors inserted of letting them wither?"

Don't forget the 4,000 TV audiences they are getting over there for NRL games....

Stallion

First Grade
For a start i would make all local rugby leagues play Saturday only football. Local Rugby league has mistakenly chosen alot of Sunday game scheduling which has negatively impacted on the welfare/recovery of players and the codes social relevance within the local community. Other lesser impact codes continue to gain players due to playing most games on Saturdays,. So why can't rugby league? The national competition needs to concentrate on providing fixtures on the actual weekend (Friday to Sundays ). And it needs its development people to publicise the increased confidence and greater ball and tackling skills used in the game. It makes me laugh when i hear people espousing the catch and kick skills of Afl yet dont appreciate that a rugby league player can already do such skills. To me "forcy backs " was something that i could easily do as a kid but the skill of a rugby league tackle and its elusive features in attack are not highlighted by development people or people demonstrating rugby leagues virtues. Whilst on tour in Melbourne with Nsw tertiary students in
1993 we played Afl for training. I'm yet to hear of an Afl team playing rugby league for training? Something not really discussed when comparing these codes? As for expansion talk: only for additional teams! Perhaps giving life in some way to disguarded teams like the Bears for the Central Coast which wins back North Sydney fans and gains a
strong rugby league region and more local derbies, a second Brisbane team with its own identity (Dolphins etc). These two mentioned would consolidate the code. Additional expansion clubs coming from Perth (pirates or reinvigorate the magpie motif and colours- West Australian Magpies and give the iconic Balmain name back to the modified named club of Balmain Campbelltown Tigers. And another team out of New Zealand and if the Warriors could go back to their original colours of blue, green , white and red that would be helpful! These new clubs would add value and strength to the Nrl but dont tell them that! Genuine progress! Lol.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
1. Dragons to Woolloongong permanently with two heratige matches each year in Sydney, one at SCG v Souths and one at SFS v Roosters on ANZAC Day

2. Roosters to Gosford permanently with a heratige match each year in Sydney at SFS v Souths

3. NZ 2 and Fiji addmitted to NSW Cup

3. Brisbane 2 addmitted to the NRL to play all of their matches out of Suncorp Stadium and be a genuine city rival to the Broncos - maybe a membership based club to offset the corporate Broncos as a point of difference

4. WA Pirates admitted to the NRL

3. Scheduling re-organised to ensure that Sydney and Brisbane get an event game every week that will draw 30K plus (using the newly redeveloped ANZ Stadium, redeveloped Parra Stadium and Suncorp Stadium) and rate well on TV. This will improve the image of the NRL as an event for casual sports fans and give us at least two must attend events every week.

Last edited: