What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for new fullback !

SaintPauli

Juniors
We are playing busted. Too many forwards injuries due to our power game. With injuries our power and winning games are goneeee.

We need line breaks from our backs and backup support to keep up with line breaks. This will also aleviate our forwards to overwork and injured themselves. In otherwords a balanced team like Melbourne.

Dufty to fullback and Dugan to center. We need taller and faster wingers.

saintm

Juniors
French came in because the Eels season last year was a complete write off. It worked, but he's since been shifted back to the wing because his speed is phenomenal but he lacks the polish and size that Gutherson brings to the position.

Cotric would have about 20cm and 20 kg on Dufty. So did Latrell Mitchell last year, and he was absolutely busted by the half way point, so much so that they moved Finger Rapist to fullback for the last few rounds to give him a break.

Jack Bird, again, was bigger and heavier then than Dufty is now and was dominating every position except hooker and halves through out 20s. I have mutual friends with a former Panthers talent scout who left at the end of last year and he said that Bird was as close to a sure thing as he had ever seen in his ten years in the job. Dufty, meanwhile, is unproven at Cup level yet. He's an outstanding talent who will play grade but he's only just finding his feet in reggies after a slow start. A move to grade could ruin him.
Try 5cm and 15kg

possm

Coach
2016 Bevan French debut as 20yo after less than half a year in Reggies.
2017 Cotric debut as a 18yo straight from NYC.
Jack Bird.......
There are plenty more around that have added speed and xfactor to their clubs NRL teams, just not at Dragons - we don't need speed with our power game.
In my opinion Zac Lomax is better than 18yo Cotric from the Raiders. He is ready to fight for a place in first grade and so I would bring him in on the left wing in place of Macdonald. Lomax will be a sensation on our left wing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
In my opinion Zac Lomax is better than 18yo Cotric from the Raiders. He is ready to fight for a place in first grade and so I would bring him in on the left wing in place of Macdonald. Lomax will be a sensation on our left wing.
I would not bother playing Lomax out of position in first grade. He may not have even played wing. I would be picking Lomax ahead of Aikten next year at centre.

Life's Good

Coach
The issue there of course is that McGregor would argue that he has given debuts to Host, Leilua, Sele, Lawrie and Field and even back to Aitken who of course are all youngsters.
However, i think we can agree that they dont really get a fair go (barring Aitken) with consistant playing. They either play as the #17 and given like 10 mins or they play and then banished back to reggies the next week. Sometimes they dont play at all.
This is the conundrum i cant work out, you select them in the 21 but they dont play at all even in reggies.....unless they are injured but why select them in the first place?.....very perplexed at this.
Great point. The irony is that he gave McCrone 15 rounds despite us signing Hunt for next year. And when he brings Mann in at 7 he then shifts him out of the play. As has been said by others Mary coaches to protect his job, nothing more.

Dorsai

Juniors
Dufty is a no brainer for fullback. He has to be given a run and move Dugan to the centres. Super coach is already finding a way to scrap next season before a ball has been thrown.
Blood him now while we have the opportunity. He will only get better.
Interesting though with nightingale resigning that will be super coaches answer to the fullback position next year. That writing was written on the wall months ago. Glad to see Jason play another season but we are setting ourselves up for another fall. These juniors will get sick of not being given a go and move on. As super coach has managed to do with other promising players.
While he is in charge we are stuffed.

possm

Coach
We are playing busted. Too many forwards injuries due to our power game. With injuries our power and winning games are goneeee.

We need line breaks from our backs and backup support to keep up with line breaks. This will also aleviate our forwards to overwork and injured themselves. In otherwords a balanced team like Melbourne.

Dufty to fullback and Dugan to center. We need taller and faster wingers.
Finally someone who knows the problem. I predicted exactly this early on and copped a hiding. The power plan for every game is not the answer unless you have a lot of good first grade standard depth in the forwards. Even then it is best used as a surprise weapon rather then an very match plan.

We have some young recruits coming through who look the goods. The problem is do we have the brains to test them this year in preparation for next season and do we have the cap to pay them once their current bargain basement contracts need upgrading? I would like the NRL to include a performance clause in the standard player contract in which there is a salary deduction when a player is selected for reserve grade. I think this would encourage players to perform to the best and coaches to be more likely to drop players playing poorly.

As far as our backs are concerned I believe:

1. Mann should stay at halfback but be given the same latitude and service from dummy half that McCrone received.
  2. Macdonald should be dropped to reserve grade and told to show more urgency to field the high ball on the full and when gathering and returning the ball after kicks in general play.
  3. Zac Lomax should rplace Macdonald on the left wing.
  4. Nightingale should be moved to the right wing.
  5. Dugan to right centre.
  6. Dufty to fullback
  7. Kerr and Lawrie to be selected on the bench in preparation for next year.

Gippsy

Bench
I like your plan for the side possm. However, while we are still in contention for the finals I think Mary will take the safe option, with no changes, on the basis it has worked in the past and also because I don't think he has a plan B.

If we were near the bottom of the table I think we'd have a better chance of your changes happening.

possm

Coach
I like your plan for the side possm. However, while we are still in contention for the finals I think Mary will take the safe option, with no changes, on the basis it has worked in the past and also because I don't think he has a plan B.

If we were near the bottom of the table I think we'd have a better chance of your changes happening.
I'm sure you are right and thus the reason why Mary should not have been retained. What was working, isn't working anymore. The forwards are busted and in my opinion, need more than a weeks rest right now.

Bringing either Lawrie or Kerr onto the bench each game would allow the respite of the a prop each week.

Promoting Dufty to the first grade fullback position gives him time to adapt to first grade pace and this would help him get off to a good start in 2018.

Moving Dugan to right centre plugs up our right hand edge in defence and gives us strike power on both sides of the field. No more excuses for starving Mann of the ball.

denis preston

First Grade
I'm sure you are right and thus the reason why Mary should not have been retained. What was working, isn't working anymore. The forwards are busted and in my opinion, need more than a weeks rest right now.

Bringing either Lawrie or Kerr onto the bench each game would allow the respite of the a prop each week.

Promoting Dufty to the first grade fullback position gives him time to adapt to first grade pace and this would help him get off to a good start in 2018.

Moving Dugan to right centre plugs up our right hand edge in defence and gives us strike power on both sides of the field. No more excuses for starving Mann of the ball.
Agree entirely Poss but don't have faith that our coach sees it this way. A hell of a lot of posters on this forum have been saying that to just fall into the 8 and get beaten first game makes the season a failure BUT if we did it by providing 3 to 4 younger players with game experience then I wouldn't feel so bad. It least it would make it clearer for the coaching staff to what they need to work on with these players in the off season.

Bench
If we make the eight then that is a positive. Does that mean we have been successful this year. Not Really.
We have all seen what the teams above is have. On the day our forwards can mix it up with any other team.
However, we don't have a player who can be a game changer and we lack speed in every position. We lack a player with the x factor.

Sorry but the Dragons lack more then just speed or an x factor.

At times they look disinterested and play with no real heart.
They have no real on field leader from Widdop or anyone else.
Players even lack the basic fundamentals at times and easily just clock off.

You have a coaching staff who lack the basic understanding of generating game structure.

To top it off you have a board who think living in the past will keep the fans interested.

Sorry but I don't give a shit what trophies they won 30 odd years ago they mean sfa when the club is being driven into the ground.

They either have to live in the now or just back up and give it away.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

I agree him or Thompson would be better options

Rocket Rod

Juniors
When will the dopey coach realise it's time to move Dugan to the centres. I thought Mann went well at FB last night when Duges came off injured yet again. We need more variety to our attack which Duges lacks other than kick returner.
If we are to salvage the season change is required!!

monsterkev

Juniors

If they do nothing we will be at the bottom of the ladder in the next couple of weeks
Fix it now not when it's to late

Old Timer

Coach
If we make the eight then that is a positive. Does that mean we have been successful this year. Not Really.
We have all seen what the teams above is have. On the day our forwards can mix it up with any other team.
However, we don't have a player who can be a game changer and we lack speed in every position. We lack a player with the x factor.
WE keep over rating our forward pack.
Dave Taylor who has done bugger all in any games this year punched holes in our forwards last night and exposed us for all to see and single handedly won the game for the Raiders.