What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

isaiah

Bench
Haven't laced on a boot myself - so what would I know - but I'm not so sure. After all this was the case during the '90s yet NSW tended to prevail with 2-1 series wins (with 3-0s in '96 and '00), so Gould at least found a way to effectively mould his sides nonetheless. Moreover I reckon it's reasonable to expect genuinely great players to combine quickly, given their confidence not just in themselves but their teammates as well, e.g. Locker/Thurston/Slater/Smith only played together in rep teams.

As far as DCE goes I wonder if he's just the unfortunate holder of the short straw, where 3 doesn't quite go into 2, so to speak. I recall his run in Game 3 2014 just before halftime that pretty much got QLD going in that game after they were looking a bit rusty even with Cronk's return. Perhaps his time will come with Coops' - and eventually Smith's - retirements.
Coops said last night that Smith could play 3 more series . First one to 50 games?

Shorty

Staff member
The fact that Qld have had such a large concentration of Broncos/ Cowboys/ Storm players for the past decade has had a lot of advantages- large chunks of the squad are already well acquainted with each other and know eachothers' game, compared to NSW where you have players from a wider selection of clubs who (in many cases) have had little to do with each other previously and need to form a cohesive unit in a short space of time.

In this case, though, it's worked against them. DCE has yet to prove himself as an Origin-worthy player, but if he played for one of the 3 teams mentioned earlier I'm sure he'd have been picked.
Lol that's a load of bullsh*t.

Storm has catchment areas in Queensland so of course they'd have players, same with the Cows and Broncs.

This manufacturing of drama is kind of amusing.
It's game 3, Munster and Morgan are no brainers...Ben Hunt is a head scratcher but Walters is a very tactical coach so there'd be a good reason.
You're not going to pick a half that hasn't trained with the squad in years over Munster or Morgan regardless of form.

Let's see. Took his team to the Minor premiership and won it just missing out on a Grand Final win. Storm are top of the table currently. I doubt that anyone could say that Smith is over the hill.

Eelectrica

Referee
Lol that's a load of bullsh*t.

Storm has catchment areas in Queensland so of course they'd have players, same with the Cows and Broncs.

This manufacturing of drama is kind of amusing.
It's game 3, Munster and Morgan are no brainers...Ben Hunt is a head scratcher but Walters is a very tactical coach so there'd be a good reason.
You're not going to pick a half that hasn't trained with the squad in years over Munster or Morgan regardless of form.
Looks like QLD made the right call in picking Munster over DCE at 6. Seems to have worked out. :cool:

Shorty

Staff member
It was really only NSW posters outraged about DCE not being picked anyway, those people can't be trusted.

isaiah

Bench
Only 20% of the turnaround needed to win game 2 will come through changes. More important is the remaining players except Gagai to play better. Get them to Watch a tape of game 3, 2015 and copy that defensive intensity. NSW had their arrogant tails up after winning game 2 and the previous series. We came out in the third game and brutally hit with the shoulder all the 80 min. Most of the players are still there, even if getting older.
Magically all came true again. Gillett returning to form, cam Smith lifting, etc.

big hit!

Bench
even as a NSWman, i don't want to see Cronk retire just yet. smith, slater, and cronk are as professional as they come and it'll rub off on munster now too, but Cronk is such a master at organising his teams. seriously, he's my favourite player....a leader. i don't think he's seen as such because he's played his entire career with smith.

just a f**king wonderful advertisement for rugby league this bloke. doesn't get into trouble, has beautiful bird on his arm, is practically single in melbourne with no kids but disciplined not to get on the piss and run amok down there. only thing he needs to do is straighten his nose.

would have been great to use this bloke regularly on ch9 over his career. the sort of bloke we need show off to the general public that inspiring articulate professional blokes do play rugby league.

Latest posts