What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

big hit!

Bench
We scored 28 points in game 1.
16 after Pearce got KOd
That leaves 12 beforehand.

I cannot converse with you on finer points (or even broad points) until you grapple with this one.

and NSW also scored 16 points in a half of footy in game 2 with pearce on the field.

big hit!

Bench
The most important thing in league is territory. You need to get the game played in the opposition half of the field. When your forwards are incapable or earning that territory with ball in hand, your only option is to boot it down there instead and try to pin them in their own end with defence.

and completions. they were atrocious for an 'elite' football team

MITCHELL PEARCE GAME 3:

- Failed cover the hole that was created when Valentine Holmes cut back on the inside

- Threw a stupid ball to Cordner causing a knock on in prime position at the beginning of the game

- Threw a terrible ball which almost led to a Tim Glasby try had it not been for Maloney

- Runs out of the line and creates space for Munster to set up Holmes for try number 2

- Almost threw an intercept ball for Morgan to score

- Throws a terrible cut out pass which led to Fifita knocking on

After Thurston got ruled out looks like he really stepped for Queensland. In all honestly they should make a statue outside Suncorp of him next to the Wally Lewis one, he is without doubt one of the greatest Queenslanders ever.

Danish

Referee
and completions. they were atrocious for an 'elite' football team

That certainly didn't help, especially when so many of our errors came just as we were getting into a decent attacking position.

Pearce had a legitimately bad game in 2013 in the decider. The infamous murdered overlap game. That was unquestionably a terrible game and I'd have been happy for his papers to have been stamped then like Kimmorley's were after the intercept in 2005.

Since then I don't think he has had a particularly poor showing in origin. He's never had a MoM performance either (neither has any other NSW half, for that matter). Essentially his biggest crime in the 2015 and 2017 series is that he has been mediocre (again, just like his halves partners Maloney and Hodkinson).

Either way, its time for him to be moved on. I don't particularly think there is anyone else who'll do a better job, but might as well try and find out.

Tweed Titan

Bench
That certainly didn't help, especially when so many of our errors came just as we were getting into a decent attacking position.

Pearce had a legitimately bad game in 2013 in the decider. The infamous murdered overlap game. That was unquestionably a terrible game and I'd have been happy for his papers to have been stamped then like Kimmorley's were after the intercept in 2005.

Since then I don't think he has had a particularly poor showing in origin. He's never had a MoM performance either (neither has any other NSW half, for that matter). Essentially his biggest crime in the 2015 and 2017 series is that he has been mediocre (again, just like his halves partners Maloney and Hodkinson).

Either way, its time for him to be moved on. I don't particularly think there is anyone else who'll do a better job, but might as well try and find out.
Moylan or Bird at 6 with Maloney at 7 and the other of Moylan or Bird on the bench.

That is a far superior combination of playmakers with creativity and vision.

Unlike blinkers Pearce.

Danish

Referee
Moylan or Bird at 6 with Maloney at 7 and the other of Moylan or Bird on the bench.

That is a far superior combination of playmakers with creativity and vision.

Unlike blinkers Pearce.

Bird is not a play maker. Frankly I think he is quite overrated and will struggle if ever thrown into that role full time.

Moylan and Maloney would be my pick, but if our pack continues to be dominated with peaheart props then they'll also struggle to make anything happen. Thankfully when it happens to them people will actually recognise the difficulty of trying to create behind a well beaten pack and won't dump all the blame on their shoulders, pearce blinkers work both ways like that.

Danish

Referee
If Johns is coaching he will "Get the best out of Pearce"

The funny thing is he probably would, but I honestly doubt that any coach taking over from next year would bother risking their job on picking him again.

Whoever is coaching next year will guarantee themselves 2 series in the gig if they make the simple call to axe Pearce. 2018 will be a write off as "the news half is learning". You then use 2019 to cut out some more dead wood and you've got yourself an easy 3 years earning $300-400K for 8 weeks of work per year.

myrrh ken

First Grade

Oh piss off with your revisionist history. You've been backing piss all series.

Piss was not mediocre. He was downright shit especially in game 2 and 3. He did not create any tries and I can't remember any positive contribution he made. He did make errors which squandered possession and led to tries.

Don't make him out to be some hard done by victim

HodKo won us the series and Maloney has plenty of line breaks and try assists

Bird is not a play maker. Frankly I think he is quite overrated and will struggle if ever thrown into that role full time.

Moylan and Maloney would be my pick, but if our pack continues to be dominated with peaheart props then they'll also struggle to make anything happen. Thankfully when it happens to them people will actually recognise the difficulty of trying to create behind a well beaten pack and won't dump all the blame on their shoulders, pearce blinkers work both ways like that.
You're insane...

Danish

Referee
Oh piss off with your revisionist history. You've been backing piss all series.

Piss was not mediocre. He was downright shit especially in game 2 and 3. He did not create any tries and I can't remember any positive contribution he made. He did make errors which squandered possession and led to tries.

Don't make him out to be some hard done by victim

HodKo won us the series and Maloney has plenty of line breaks and try assists

"plenty" of try assists being 2 for the series, which is pretty well balanced out by the 2 tries Pearce scored himself wouldn't you say?

Maloney has also missed conversions which ultimately cost us 2 series (the decider in 2013, game 2 2017) since we lost each of those games off the back of goalkicking i.e. each team scored the same amount of tries.

I've already stated countless times Pearce should never play again, and that I'd have been happy for him to not play another origin after 2013. I can still see however that his halves partners over the years have also been f**king terrible in their own right.

Guys someone needs to update that highlight reel after his heroics this year and 2015. Make sure that brilliant pierce of play in game 1 2015 where he overcalled Hokko when he was set for the drop goal which would have won it isn't left out.

myrrh ken

First Grade
"plenty" of try assists being 2 for the series, which is pretty well balanced out by the 2 tries Pearce scored himself wouldn't you say?

Maloney has also missed conversions which ultimately cost us 2 series (the decider in 2013, game 2 2017) since we lost each of those games off the back of goalkicking i.e. each team scored the same amount of tries.

I've already stated countless times Pearce should never play again, and that I'd have been happy for him to not play another origin after 2013. I can still see however that his halves partners over the years have also been f**king terrible in their own right.

Selective reading mate. Plenty of line breaks and try assists is what I said.

You've only changed your tune after this game so don't talk about 2013. That's dishonest. You were advocating piss and Moylan as the future previously

You're right about the Pearce tries. Yeah he was in the right position for those so kudos to him for that. Still not enough though.

Maloney has made plenty of mistakes, but he also creates. Chopping him for his goal kicking is a bit rough. Not his fault he's the only goal kicker.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Selective reading mate. Plenty of try assists and line breaks is what I said.

You've only changed your tune after this game so don't talk about 2013. That's dishonest.

You're right about the Pearce tries. Yeah he was in the right position for those so kudos to him for that. Still not enough though.

Rubbish. I've not wanted Pearce to play origin for years, not least of all because of the mental toll being the poster child for a team that was simply outclassed across the park for a decade has had on him. We've had several seasons derailed by Pearce copping it for origin losses in the past (2013 being the outlier), so I've always been happy for him to not play wherever possible.

I'll happily state though that there has been few if any better options in the years that Pearce played. The only consistent opposition he has had is Adam Reynolds from 2013-2015 (Reynolds absolutely should have been the halfback in 2014). Moylan could have been selected this year also and I wouldn't have minded, but his club form hardly warranted it. It's not Pearce's fault that he has been a consistently good club halfback for years while all other NSW eligible halves have been hot and cold at best or just outright rubbish at worst.

The generation of NSW halves that have debuted in the last decade is honestly quite terrible, and the next generation ain't exactly setting the world on fire either.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well you've certainly defended him vigorously at times.

Look it's not his fault he keeps getting selected and the media continues to be obsessed. Which is the source of frustration.

I agree Reynolds is a good candidate and has sharp goal kicking to boot. Otherwise give someone else a go. They can't be worse and they might be infinitely better.

I've gone off Pearce at 9. Passing under pressure is not good at this level.

betcats

Referee
Adam Reynolds can tackle, pass and bomb overlaps just like Pearce but has a better kicking game and is the best goal kicker yet he was given 2 games? Moylan won his only game in the halves albeit a dead rubber and was dropped for this myth no less, all these dinosaurs giving him 18 chances because his dads in the old boys club.

isaiah

Bench
it has too. but something deep down reckons that he'll once again be the form half in the first 10 weeks of the NRL in 2018, and the coach will think maybe this time, he'll be right.

he's not cut out for the environment. it's surprising how several coaches and selectors cannot see it. perhaps the fact that there hasn't been a consistent ready replacement may be the issue. it's not like we're in the era of mortimer and sterling, or stuart and alexander, or kimmorley (even though he struggled) and johns, where there seemed to be another decent player waiting in the wings.

NSW have a history of putting faith in guys who make wrong decisions in times of pressure. not just on the field but in life in general. greg bird, fifita, ferguson, dugan, pearce, etc. it seems to translate onto the field with either ill-discipline or poor play decisions.

many other sports use character as big determinant as to whether to select players......i reckon psych testing needs to come into rugby league too. if in NSWs position, lots of professional clubs wouldn't select them.
Some interesting opinions here.

Latest posts