What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Origin Concept

QLD have now won 11 of the past 12 series.

NSW look clueless. Even with a better team "on paper" they were outplayed and there is no clear way forward for them. QLD have a stranglehold on the whole thing that they wont relinquish. Fair play to 'em but I predict that this is the moment where genuine interest goes out of the concept. It's been coming for a while and astute commentators like Mascord have rightly pointed out that the impact the series has on the overall NRL is skewed.

Anecdotally; I've noticed this within my social circle. Origin used to be a big thing. It's still a thing but years of NSWs failure have reduced the lustre and interest levels, even in this "best series ever", were pretty mellow.

gUt

Coach
Qld's time of dominance is coming to an end. We're about to lose a generation of greats at the same time. In the spine and backs there are good (some potentially great) replacements but it's not going to be the same. Then there's our forwards. We will soon have a pack of mainly solid performers.

NSW's problems are mainly mental IMO and once the Qld team is turned over the series will be as close as it should be with NSW starting favourites most years.

greg

Juniors
Qld's time of dominance is coming to an end. We're about to lose a generation of greats at the same time. In the spine and backs there are good (some potentially great) replacements but it's not going to be the same. Then there's our forwards. We will soon have a pack of mainly solid performers.

NSW's problems are mainly mental IMO and once the Qld team is turned over the series will be as close as it should be with NSW starting favourites most years.
It is mental I believe, however I cannot see us winning for a while no matter who Qld put on the field. We have to learn to run on the field with the same mindset that Qld do every year otherwise it is just going to be more of the same.

isaiah

Bench
The whole concept grew from the fact that NSW beat us so easy and so often in the 70's that they took the game to Leichhardt oval. Why do NSW lose interest both when winning too much AND too little?

Knightmare

Coach
If home crowds at ANZ and TV figures are anything to go by, I don't know what makes you think we're losing interest?

I saw this coming a year ago. Game 3 in 2015 should've been a massive wake-up call for NSW, last series was Daley's chance to redeem himself but he was only spared the receiving end of a whitewash by stacked refereeing and the arsiest of tries by NSW at the very end. In hindsight it would've been better to have been white-washed, got rid of Daley and put somebody else in this year. Pearce had 3 games this series to prove us wrong but he only confirmed what all but the most ardent Roosters fans already knew.

It depends what happens within NSW over the next 12 months. If Daley isn't given the flick and Pearce is rolled out again for the 20th time it'll suck the hype out of next series, definitely. But Origin isn't in jeopardy. People in NSW want to see their team playing good footy, but they realise that the entire concept doesn't revolve around them.

If home crowds at ANZ and TV figures are anything to go by, I don't know what makes you think we're losing interest?

I saw this coming a year ago. Game 3 in 2015 should've been a massive wake-up call for NSW, last series was Daley's chance to redeem himself but he was only spared the receiving end of a whitewash by stacked refereeing and the arsiest of tries by NSW at the very end. In hindsight it would've been better to have been white-washed, got rid of Daley and put somebody else in this year. Pearce had 3 games this series to prove us wrong but he only confirmed what all but the most ardent Roosters fans already knew.

It depends what happens within NSW over the next 12 months. If Daley isn't given the flick and Pearce is rolled out again for the 20th time it'll suck the hype out of next series, definitely. But Origin isn't in jeopardy. People in NSW want to see their team playing good footy, but they realise that the entire concept doesn't revolve around them.
I agree with every word of this. But you know what is going to happen?

Laurie Daley Coach. Mitchell Pearce Halfback.

myrrh ken

First Grade
It's a game made up for Queenslanders to feel good about their existence. It doesn't need nsw interest to survive.

simmo05

Bench
For me, not sick of the concept, sick of the ineptitude of nswl, sick of the constant baffling selections, sick of the non accountability in the whole organisation, sick of the impact on the nrl season. And the lack of ticker shown every year is a disgrace. These are the main issues facing the blues. But, they have already put their foot in it by guaranteeing big nose has the coaching job next year

Knightmare

Coach
I agree with every word of this. But you know what is going to happen?

Laurie Daley Coach. Mitchell Pearce Halfback.

Jokes aside, you reckon they'll renew Laurie's contract after this year?

Not a single NSW coach in Origin history has been offered a renewal after losing more than two series- Laurie's time was up last year and a flukey last-minute try bought him another 12 months. He lost the un-loseable series. Even though the NSW hierarchy makes me scratch my head at times, they surely aren't THAT stupid...

moffla

Bench
Jokes aside, you reckon they'll renew Laurie's contract after this year?

Not a single NSW coach in Origin history has been offered a renewal after losing more than two series- Laurie's time was up last year and a flukey last-minute try bought him another 12 months. He lost the un-loseable series. Even though the NSW hierarchy makes me scratch my head at times, they surely aren't THAT stupid...

Daley insists he will provide some clarity around his plans in the next couple of weeks and, for the time being, he has the support of NSW Rugby League chairman George Peponis.

Peponis has spoken with him on a regular basis in recent weeks, but is none the wiser on the coach’s plans.

A full review will be carried out in the coming weeks, but if Peponis has his way, Daley will return despite a record of one series win in five years. That record should hardly scream out security but Peponis points out Daley has taken charge of the Blues during a period when Queensland have been able to call upon a coterie of champions.

“You look at the coaches before him in the last 10 or 11 years,” Peponis said. “It’s an era (for Queensland) you probably won’t see again for the next 30 or 40 years. I don’t think you can blame Laurie for that performance.

“Certainly if he decides to stay he has my support, but I’m only one voice — we have a board of seven. I speak to him all the time. I spoke to him last night, I spoke to him two weeks ago. In the discussions we have had it was ‘let’s not worry about this now, let’s worry about it at the end of the series’. Any discussion to be had should be had after the series is over.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...g/news-story/589eeade15a033a38d864e3dcb242756

Knightmare

Coach
He's hardly going to stick the knife in publicly and say "Laurie can f**k off" is he? Especially when it isn't his decision alone.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Loser-speak right there...

You are of course aware that historically it morphed from a state v state competition to state of origin competition to specifically bolster the Queensland side.

Most fans care, but Qld fans will always care more and they care about it enough to keep it going. If NSW won 11 out of 12, the concept would be dead.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You are of course aware that historically it morphed from a state v state competition to state of origin competition to specifically bolster the Queensland side.

Most fans care, but Qld fans will always care more and they care about it enough to keep it going. If NSW won 11 out of 12, the concept would be dead.

I am aware. I tend to question the motive and forethought behind your comments given they come directly after a demoralising loss.

And the hypothetical statements that origin would be dead if the roles were reversed just reek of sour grapes IMO.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I am aware. I tend to question the motive and forethought behind your comments given they come directly after a demoralising loss.

And the hypothetical statements that origin would be dead if the roles were reversed just reek of sour grapes IMO.

I didn't create the thread did I? And Isaiah said exactly the same thing.

Think harder next time.

Shorty

Staff member
And the attitude.
They had it right in game 1 but I'm not sure they expected that Queensland wouldn't make it easy, they were up so much at halftime in game 2...wouldn't you try and be prepared.
They sort of weren't ready for a comeback and it's basically a Queensland tradition.

Apart from that you read comments in here about not understanding the lengths of the camps and bonding sessions etc.
It's quite obvious that Queenslanders are much closer to one another and that might be because of the player pool and/or Sydney rivalry.
But NSW were close in the 2000s and 90s, so they need to develop that bond more, I honestly don't see it.
There's no trust there (which is why they lost this series imo).

Knightmare

Coach
And the attitude.
They had it right in game 1 but I'm not sure they expected that Queensland wouldn't make it easy, they were up so much at halftime in game 2...wouldn't you try and be prepared.
They sort of weren't ready for a comeback and it's basically a Queensland tradition.

Apart from that you read comments in here about not understanding the lengths of the camps and bonding sessions etc.
It's quite obvious that Queenslanders are much closer to one another and that might be because of the player pool and/or Sydney rivalry.
But NSW were close in the 2000s and 90s, so they need to develop that bond more, I honestly don't see it.
There's no trust there (which is why they lost this series imo).

NSW made the same mistake the Broncos did in the GF against the Cowboys- tried to defend a lead that could be lost by a converted try. If you spoke to some of the Qld players privately, I'm sure they'd admit they couldn't believe their luck when they saw NSW trying to wind the clock down and inviting them back into the game. Qld didn't look like getting close until the Blues allowed them.

On your second point about bonding, this is the argument I made earlier that you dismissed as 'bullshit'- that traditionally, the Maroons players are far more concentrated across fewer NRL teams. You look at Qld over the past 15 years and find how many of their players (let alone their star players) have NOT come from one of these 3 teams:

Broncos
Cowboys
Storm

It means that even if a bloke like Cameron Munster comes in fresh, there's already a considerable chunk of players he knows well from spending every other week with them at the Storm. There are larger groups of blokes in the Qld team who already have that familiarity from training, hanging out and travelling on the road with each other on a near daily basis at those NRL teams. Qld may have less eligible players to choose from, but in this case the make-up of Origin actually favours them.

In NSW, the players are generally spread across the Sydney clubs, with the odd interstate player thrown into the mix. For new players, there's less blokes they know that well. Unlike Qld where Smith, Cronk etc can run the show, for NSW they need a strong figurehead who understands footballers and has that ruthless will to win. This is what made Gus great, why the Blues players loved Tommy Raudonikis and why I think Joey would be a good figurehead. Bellamy might be, if his position wasn't compromised by having so many of his Storm players in the Qld side.

NSW can't do things the same way Qld do. They'd be better off picking a 25-man provisional squad, bringing them all together a few times in the months leading up to Origin. Have a drink, have a barbecue, hold light training sessions- so that even a young bloke who's never played before can get to know the blokes in the squad, get familiar with them. Then if he's selected or gets the late call-up, he's already got that bond there.

Big Pete

Referee
It's easy to gain a lead when you're exploiting rookies defensively, difficult to build it when the opposition regroups.

Especially when you lose your biggest weapon mid-way through the second half.

Unfortunately NSW convinced themselves they were on the right track and if they just continued on they would be sweet.

Latest posts