What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Open Letter To Peter Doust CEO Of Saint George Illawarra Rugby League Club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I admire the passion demonstrated here to follow your convictions, but at the end of the day, without the advocacy of someone with gravitas (such as a John Raper), your objectives are bound to fail.
Johnny Raper is a good bloke, from my father's generation and no nonsense fella who would offer a helping hand to those in need. I know he has always been generous with his time.

Indeed, I recall he offered a helping hand to the Club on numerous occasions, particularly during one Leagues Club board election when a supporter's group when gaining some traction just prior to the election. John Raper was encouraged to run as well, effectively splitting the opposition vote, thus keeping the incumbents in power.

Ah well, that's politics. And Johnny is a Club man through and through. A ripper of a bloke.

Ring-a-ding-ding!

1st & 10

Juniors
Mods - can this open letter thread please be "stuck" on top of the forum. It's an important letter that needs full exposure

Kindest regards

Coffs dragon

Bench
These pricks running the club into the ground need to reconsider their club promo motto.... RedV is part of me!!!! And so then they decide to play 50% of the games in that bloody all raspberry cupcake jersey.
So in essence what they mean and should say is ......"RedV is half of me"
FFS use your greatest strength you morons....brand recognition!!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Johnny Raper is a good bloke, from my father's generation and no nonsense fella who would offer a helping hand to those in need. I know he has always been generous with his time.

Indeed, I recall he offered a helping hand to the Club on numerous occasions, particularly during one Leagues Club board election when a supporter's group when gaining some traction just prior to the election. John Raper was encouraged to run as well, effectively splitting the opposition vote, thus keeping the incumbents in power.

Ah well, that's politics. And Johnny is a Club man through and through. A ripper of a bloke.

Ring-a-ding-ding!

Not seeing a lot of gravitas being demonstrated in that commercial!

And I don't see an old club man being much help. The club has been run like an autocracy for so long, even the advocacy of a well respected old club man would mean Jax shit. The club needs a purge but how you extract Doust, Young et al from their highly paid gigs I have no idea.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Apparently it is the most successful tyre commercial in Australian history. Talk about getting some return for your bucks.
And I don't see an old club man being much help.
Yes, and with the greatest of respect to Johnny Raper, he knows on which side his bread is buttered.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
These pricks running the club into the ground need to reconsider their club promo motto.... RedV is part of me!!!! And so then they decide to play 50% of the games in that bloody all raspberry cupcake jersey.
So in essence what they mean and should say is ......"RedV is half of me"
FFS use your greatest strength you morons....brand recognition!!

Spot on, although the "all raspberry jumper" doesn't bother me because the club is a joint venture with the Illawarra Steelers.

Brand recognition is EVERYTHING, and as I've said a billion times, those in the club's marketing department should hang their collective heads in shame for allowing the colours red and white to be usurped by the Sydney Swans.

1st & 10

Juniors
Pity high profile supporters like John Howard/Bryan Brown/Billy Dib etc can't be involved. At this stage I think that is what is needed. Someone with this kind of profile can get some real traction in the media. Otherwise it will be the same old "Disgruntled minority of Fans " that will be quoted by Mr Doust and co.

Roy Masters could be added to that list, however he is possibly linked to the current boys club via Craig Young

1st & 10

Juniors
There should be one question to Doust: why does he think that a season's success can be judged in April or May?
It's like hiring a new employee and giving them an extension at morning tea.

Excellent analogy . Doust has a habit of doing it and never works. No one wins a premiership in April etc, but you can lose one

1st & 10

Juniors
New coach - any good local tattooists would do a better job and Players would strive to sign with the team

1st & 10

Juniors
Apparently it is the most successful tyre commercial in Australian history. Talk about getting some return for your bucks.
Yes, and with the greatest of respect to Johnny Raper, he knows on which side his bread is buttered.

Willow. Can we please have this thread stuck on top of the forum. This thread holds great importance and the open letter should be exposed to as many as possible

Cheers mate

And I don't see an old club man being much help. The club has been run like an autocracy for so long, even the advocacy of a well respected old club man would mean Jax shit. The club needs a purge but how you extract Doust, Young et al from their highly paid gigs I have no idea.
Maybe you're right but when Souths were in dire straights it was George Piggins that led the way back from the brink.
I believe that if someone like Raper (who is an immortal) were to figurehead the campaign to make some real changes, it could gain enough momentum to finally have a result.
You can bet your bottom dollar that there would be a groundswell of support and the media would lap it up.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Any official response from the letter ?
No, and frankly that was not what was expected.
The purpose was to one day soon, see a breaking media story "national NAAN news" that Doust had resigned.

To achieve this I am sending the letter by multiple emails as many outlets as I can including the Mercury.
What I really need is sport journos emails that is proving difficult but I will bash away until doust is gone.

1st & 10

Juniors
Before sending it, delete the notion of "hounding". It could be deemed intimidation under the Crimes Act and Crimes Act personal/domestic violence Act.

I do not construe any threat etc, but Do not give them any reason to dismiss your letter or any reason to turn defence into attack. Doust plays on words carefully

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Before sending it, delete the notion of "hounding". It could be deemed intimidation under the Crimes Act and Crimes Act personal/domestic violence Act.

I do not construe any threat etc, but Do not give them any reason to dismiss your letter or any reason to turn defence into attack. Doust plays on words carefully

Done and new version uploaded

possm

Coach
No, and frankly that was not what was expected.
The purpose was to one day soon, see a breaking media story "national NAAN news" that Doust had resigned.

To achieve this I am sending the letter by multiple emails as many outlets as I can including the Mercury.
What I really need is sport journos emails that is proving difficult but I will bash away until doust is gone.
Many who have written similar letters to Doust get the same response - nothing. Ordinary members and fans will get nowhere with such action. What needs to happen is for someone of note to publically riducle Doust and for the media to take it up. There needs to be an investigative journalist put some time in and dig up all the suspect things Doust has been up to and all the inept decisions the Board has made before a public outcry will happen.

Even if it all came out and things are seen for what they really are, there is no guarantee that Doust would be replaced with someone better - for example, someone like Millward might be given the job.

As I've said before, in my opinion it would take a new owner with deep pockets to make real change come about and at the moment there is absolutely no sign of this happening. The Board and Doust have no incentive for this to happen so it would be up to someone outside of the Club administration to find a buyer and raise the membership and fans interest in supporting the idea for change.