What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did you think this

Old Timer

Coach
Would be interesting to know who signed up for any of the following options and what would you now unsubscribe to?
  1. We will finish top 8 prior to the season start
  2. We will finish top 4 (after the first 10 rounds)
  3. We will finish top 8 (after the first 10 rounds)
  4. The power game is going to be successful for all of 2017
  5. Mary deserves a new 2 year contract extension after 10 rounds
  6. Mary has learnt from his previous mistakes
  7. We are doing a great job blooding our juniors
  8. Millward is doing an outstanding job in recruitment
  9. Nightingale deserves to go out on his own terms and should definitely get another contract
  10. We are over achieving
  11. We are not in a mess
  12. Lafai is SOO quality
  13. Anyone saying anything contrary to points 3 - 11 is a "death rider and not a true supporter"

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Would be interesting to know who signed up for any of the following options and what would you now unsubscribe to?
  9. Nightingale deserves to go out on his own terms and should definitely get another contract
  11. We are not in a mess
  12. Lafai is SOO quality
  13. Anyone saying anything contrary to points 3 - 11 is a "death rider and not a true supporter"
Old timer our juniors must think they're playing in Iceland they're so far out in the cold and there's no way I'm number 13 as far jetskimyou know my thoughts on him .but go the BIG RED v.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Well I thought 6 and 8 at the start of the season. I thought Mary had the capacity to learn and grow as a coach. I still think he does, unfortunately it turns out he is a very slow learner.

And I didn't think Millward was doing too badly in the recruitment department. He signed Vaughn, he signed Luciano, and he signed McInnes. Then we lost Duges and Packer and I'm not sure any more.

As I wish to be considered a true supporter I am not admitting my views on any of the other points.

possm

Coach
  1. I've never liked Mary as coach - old boys appointment without merit for selection.
  2. I've never liked Millward as recruitment/pathways director - political appointment on his father's behest. He has created an awful mess that will take years to recover from.
  3. I liked the 'power game' but only as one of the plans to be used. I always said that our forwards would be become busted or fatigued.
  4. I was always against using McCrone at halfback.
  5. I have always believed we should replace players with like for like or better.
  6. I have for a long time believed we need a cleanout of all management positions at the Club; on field and off-field.
  7. I've never thought Widdop is a good captain; he fails to read a game and make good decisions.

Shulman

Juniors
  11. We are not in a mess
  12. Lafai is SOO quality
14. Get a life

JDHD

Juniors
  11. We are not in a mess
  12. Lafai is SOO quality

3, 5, 6, 9 and 10, and I'll keep the faith on all of those for a couple of more weeks, if that's okay. If Mary can get them up for the Manly game, then great. If not, I'll gladly retract my opinions.

I've thought many dozen things over the last 6 weeks.
Most of them start with Sh and end in a T.
There's only one letter missing, see if you can guess what it is?

3, 5, 6, 9 and 10, and I'll keep the faith on all of those for a couple of more weeks, if that's okay. If Mary can get them up for the Manly game, then great. If not, I'll gladly retract my opinions.

We've lost to 4 teams outside the top eight in the last five weeks and did our best to lose to a side that has won 3 games in two years.
If you think we're a chance to beat the team coming 4th I do a nice sideline in unicorn sales if your interested.

Reactions: Dea

Dragons 09

Juniors
10. We are over achieving.

This is the only one i signed up for earlier on in the season (maybe round 8 or 9). Before the season started i had us pegged for 13th spot and even if we don't win another game, i still don't think we finish that far down now. Therefore, in my opinion we are definitely over achieving from compared to what i expected at the start of the season so i guess i will keep my subscription.

Just goes to show how low this club has become when finishing 12th could be seen as exceeding expectations.:rolleyes:

Gareth67

First Grade
With a more formidable forward pack than last year , I believed that at the very least , we would no longer be pushed around the park by other packs , in that I was correct . However , I also thought that we would ( just ) make the eight , that certainly does not look to be the case now . Then again I have been wrong before , as I thought that Mary would one day be named ' coach of the year ' . :smile:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
  11. We are not in a mess
  12. Lafai is SOO quality
OT, Let me begin by saying I value your posts. They do help me to understand why my footy team is not where I would like it to be. And I acknowledge the validity of some perspectives of yours that I can recall - at the start of the season you stated that Nene should have proved himself first rather than being an automatic NRL selection, you have been a consistent supporter of Mann and while we were winning you cautioned about the difficulty of sustaining our run employing the "power game". Time has proved you to be spot on.

To deal with your 13 points I have to admit I was incapable of trying to respond for 2 days till I recovered from the Canberra loss. Secondly I have seen nothing of the last 5 games - I am overseas with a slow internet service that precludes any video content. So I am not in the best place for judgment. But here goes anyway:

1. No

2. Hopeful of top 4 but not confident given the start and seemingly good draw.

3. Yes - top 8.

4. I was hopeful.

5. Yes if the choice had to be made then. Would have preferred a call for candidates with a closing date for applications on the Dragons’Mad Monday. If a full field of candidates was encouraged to apply who knows who may have put his hand up- Demetriou, Potter, Walters, Brown ........??

6. I think Mary has learnt some lessons. But he learns too slowly.

7. Juniors-No! Forwards ok except for Leilua. Field’s and Dufty’s treatment poor.

8. Pluses and minuses on the recruitment front. Dugan/Millward - I think a poor result for both parties!

9. Happy with Nighty getting another 12 months. Very few players are instant hits in the NRL so I believe it is good to have him on hand while hopefully some juniors are called up. Little loyalty has been shown to the 2010 Premiers so I am happy that he has got another year.

10. Not overachieving. Despite the prolonged up and then down we are around where we should be 8th-12th. I would prefer being beaten by the better teams and beating the weaker teams though.

11. A mess? Debatable on one season – definitely some problems. But if you think of 2012-2017 then the lack of step-by-step improvement is very disappointing.

12. Lafai - Ist 10 rounds yes. But has struggled since.

13. No definitely not. It is very frustrating that as just an avid supporter there are very obvious problems that should be resolved. Most of us invest a lot of time into supporting the Dragons and we should have the right to point out obvious flaws that should be addressed.

JDHD

Juniors
OT, Let me begin by saying I value your posts. They do help me to understand why my footy team is not where I would like it to be. And I acknowledge the validity of some perspectives of yours that I can recall - at the start of the season you stated that Nene should have proved himself first rather than being an automatic NRL selection, you have been a consistent supporter of Mann and while we were winning you cautioned about the difficulty of sustaining our run employing the "power game". Time has proved you to be spot on.

To deal with your 13 points I have to admit I was incapable of trying to respond for 2 days till I recovered from the Canberra loss. Secondly I have seen nothing of the last 5 games - I am overseas with a slow internet service that precludes any video content. So I am not in the best place for judgment. But here goes anyway:

1. No

3. Yes - top 8.

4. I was hopeful.

5. Yes if the choice had to be made then. Would have preferred a call for candidates with a closing date for applications on the Dragons’Mad Monday. If a full field of candidates was encouraged to apply who knows who may have put his hand up- Demetriou, Potter, Walters, Brown ........??

7. Juniors-No! Forwards ok except for Leilua. Field’s and Dufty’s treatment poor.

8. Pluses and minuses on the recruitment front. Dugan/Millward - I think a poor result for both parties!

9. Happy with Nighty getting another 12 months. Very few players are instant hits in the NRL so I believe it is good to have him on hand while hopefully some juniors are called up. Little loyalty has been shown to the 2010 Premiers so I am happy that he has got another year.

10. Not overachieving. Despite the prolonged up and then down we are around where we should be 8th-12th. I would prefer being beaten by the better teams and beating the weaker teams though.

11. A mess? Debatable on one season – definitely some problems. But if you think of 2012-2017 then the lack of step-by-step improvement is very disappointing.

13. No definitely not. It is very frustrating that as just an avid supporter there are very obvious problems that should be resolved. Most of us invest a lot of time into supporting the Dragons and we should have the right to point out obvious flaws that should be addressed.

Who do you think you are, bringing reasoned discourse and considered opinions based on facts? This is the Front Row! Haha

Old Timer

Coach

1. No

3. Yes - top 8.

4. I was hopeful.

Very nice and well reasoned out post and thanks for the kind words.
You may be the luckiest Dragon supporter around as the lack of video content may have saved your hair line.
Following the Dragons has been a lifetime passion for me and I would love to be only posting about the great things the club achieves but unfortunately IMO there is so much to be done to even remotely close to achieving that goal.
The modicum of success along the way seem to be enough for some and the harsh face of reality seems far too much for others.
We can only hope that somehow that the alarms bells that are ringing are heard and understood by those who have the ability to instigate change and that finally they have the interests of the fans and players at heart and actually achieve some sustainable positive outcomes.

Latest posts