What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name Your NSW Team of the Origin Era

Vee

First Grade
I got thinking about this in the last week or so. So many great players over the years, 267 in all.

Off the top of my head, I came up with these, Undoubtedly there will be stacks that I've missed but it's a start.

FB Mini Hayne Brasher Jack
W Grothe O'Connor ET
C Daley Kenny McGregor Sludge
5/8 Kenny Fittler Daley
H Johns Sterlo Mortimer
L. Clyde Fittler Kennedy Gallen Price
2R Sirro Gillespie Kennedy Menzies
FR Lazarus Chief Roberts Roach Gallen
H Buderus Elias

Random thoughts - The biggest problem for me is fitting Kenny, Daley and Fittler into the 13. Qld have a similar problem fitting Lewis, Lockyer and Slater into their side. Do you play Fittler at lock ahead of Price or Clyde? I think Buderus has Elias covered and my starting props would be Lazio and Chief. I would pick Craig Wing on the bench, best 14 ever. Interested to see who NSW fans would pick at FB, the mercurial Hayne in his best position or the energy of Mini with more of a team ethos.

mave

Coach
Gidley (c) is a certainty for the 14 jersey, surely.

The jersey should have been retired after he "retired". Anyone who can captain from the bench deserves that honour, at least.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Here's a challenge. Name your best nsw origin team from the current era, 2006-2017

Knightmare

Coach
#1- Minichello (personal bias here, I always loved watching Mini even if he was a Rooster)
#2. O'Connor
#3. Daley
#4. Fittler
#5. Groethe
#6. Kenny (you know Qld would pick Wally at #6 so stats-wise this makes sense)
#7. Johns
#8. Lazarus
#9. Buderus
#10. Harragon
#11. Kennedy
#12. Hindmarsh
#13. Clyde

#14. Wing
#15. Roach
#16. Menzies
#17. Roberts

Coach: Gould

Reactions: Vee

Big Pete

Referee
NSW 2006-17
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Trent Barrett
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Greg Bird
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Paul Gallen

14. Craig Wing
15. Mark O'Meley
16. David Klemmer
17. Anthony Watmough

Knightmare

Coach
NSW 2006-17
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Trent Barrett
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Greg Bird
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Paul Gallen

14. Craig Wing
15. Mark O'Meley
16. David Klemmer
17. Anthony Watmough

Get Ricky Stuart coaching that lot (also from the past decade) and I'd rate them a good chance.

Big Pete

Referee
You'd have to pick Pearce in the 06-17 team surely.

If anyone perfectly embodies the steamy garbage weve served up during that decade it's him.

If we're basing it on who made the most appearances in each individual position...

2006-17 Revised
1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Beau Scott
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Paul Gallen (c)

14. David Klemmer
15. Trent Merrin
16. Luke Lewis
17. Anthony Watmough

Coach: Laurie Daley

If you operate under the theory that a utility should be on the bench, then Gidley comes in for Klemmer.

Before this series, Anasta would have edged Maloney out of the 6 jumper. Both players had only played there 5 times, but Anasta had played there in more series (3-2). Something I forgot about Game III 2016 is that Maloney was technically the halfback with Moylan coming in at 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

The Friz

Juniors
1- ET
2- O'Connor
3- Fittler
4- Daley
5- Hayne
6- Kenny
7- Johns
8- Lazarus
9- Buderus
10- Harragon
11- Menzies
12- Clyde
13- Gallen
14- Mackay
15- Barrett
16- Pay
17- Roach

NSW 2006-17
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Trent Barrett
8. Luke Bailey
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Willie Mason
11. Greg Bird
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Paul Gallen

14. Craig Wing
15. Mark O'Meley
16. David Klemmer
17. Anthony Watmough
That looks pretty good but I'd have Luke Lewis over Boyd Cordner anyday.

Lewis was unlucky, but I thought others performed better than him at this level.

In fairness to Luke, he was never afforded the same opportunities.
Really? I've always thought Lewis performed well at this level, definitely preformed better then Cordner who in all honesty has had one standout game so far and that's it. That one game that Lewis played and got MOTM for was better then Cordners SOO career to date.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
There needs to be an investigation into the lack of Toovey in these sides.

Did Johns really do more than Sticky (4 series wins out of 5)?

Serious lack of Wishart love observed too.

Last edited:

Mr Saab

Referee
As far as origin results are concerned then Ricky Stuart has to be the 7. Yes Johns is Johns the 8th, the immortal, but he was not THAT consistent at origin level.

Big Pete

Referee
Really? I've always thought Lewis performed well at this level, definitely preformed better then Cordner who in all honesty has had one standout game so far and that's it. That one game that Lewis played and got MOTM for was better then Cordners SOO career to date.

Game I 2013 was far and away Lewis' best performance, but it wasn't representative of his Origin career.

Cordner has been one of the Blues best the past two series. His worst performance was in the decider where he was carrying a calf injury and he still managed to make in-roads down the Maroons left fringe.

To each his own, but as an Origin player, Cordner shades all the other fringe runners that have come and gone.

isaiah

Bench
The one forward from the 80's who had mistakenly been included in some of these sort of teams is noel clear. People obviously mistake his form for club and country as interstate games in their memories or stories heard or read. He was regularly completely useless v qld, picking up the nickname of Labrador because he was always bludging on the blind.