What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop Appreciation

thebigredv

First Grade
Something positive. I thought Gareth was getting back to his best last night. Result goes the other way in golden point and we would all be lauding him. I agree with others in that he basically trying to do the job of two halves, and for mine his defensive reads, especially in desperation stakes is brilliant. He got some promising things going down the left last night, despite the frustration of most of it coming to naught once again.Gould was critical of him with the intercept pass but I think that was a tad tough. Based on performances like last night I am sure we are all excited at the thought of what lofty heights he can reach next year with Hunt by his side. You can't question his commitment, and I am pleased we've retained him despite another season of disappointment.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
As long as they don't keep giving Josh all the ball and hunt is left out in the cold .we will have two very good perhaps even great halves next year.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Im with you also,he tried his guts out last night but did stuff up with the intercept pass for a decisive try and the field goal miss, but i feel for him.
Anyone who defends McCrone must be blind. This talk of him being a perfect foil for widdop by not doing much is strange because a half should be creating and sharing the attack load. Not just leaving it all up to the other.
McCrone gives him hardly any assistance at all.

possm

Coach
Widdop is a good five-eight who is getting back to top form however, he is not a good captain. On field calls, inability to read a game and poor judgement has been evident for a long time. We need an experienced player who knows how to lead and I'm not sure we have such a player in our squad at the moment.

monsterkev

Juniors
I appreciate all the shitty decisions Gareth made last night
Taking the penalty kick for goal when we were attacking their try line and after that we lost all momentum
The attempted field goals which gave them 7 tackles each time
The kicking off for golden point when we won the toss
Talk about having no confidence in your own ability as a team to score a try
We are in some serious trouble
Widdop may have been OK in parts but his on field decisions every week are ludicrous
Widdop should be dumped as captain and be told to just concentrate on playing his role and not worrying about anything else
Stop buttering up Widdop and saying he is nearly back to his best because that is bullshit
He is the maestro conducting this orchestra and doing a shit job of it

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I appreciate all the shitty decisions Gareth made last night
Taking the penalty kick for goal when we were attacking their try line and after that we lost all momentum
The attempted field goals which gave them 7 tackles each time
The kicking off for golden point when we won the toss
Talk about having no confidence in your own ability as a team to score a try
We are in some serious trouble
Widdop may have been OK in parts but his on field decisions every week are ludicrous
Widdop should be dumped as captain and be told to just concentrate on playing his role and not worrying about anything else
Stop buttering up Widdop and saying he is nearly back to his best because that is bullshit
He is the maestro conducting this orchestra and doing a shit job of it

Anyone would think reading this that Canberra's playmakers didn't attempt any long range field goals either.

I can recall Jamie Soward rueimg the decision to kick off in Golden Point during the elimination semi final against Brisbane (2011). Of course, such a tactic is predicated on the defensive side ensuring it keeps the opposition as far down their end of the field as possible (and, hope for a mistake), so it makes sense to me.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Something positive. I thought Gareth was getting back to his best last night. Result goes the other way in golden point and we would all be lauding him. I agree with others in that he basically trying to do the job of two halves, and for mine his defensive reads, especially in desperation stakes is brilliant. He got some promising things going down the left last night, despite the frustration of most of it coming to naught once again.Gould was critical of him with the intercept pass but I think that was a tad tough. Based on performances like last night I am sure we are all excited at the thought of what lofty heights he can reach next year with Hunt by his side. You can't question his commitment, and I am pleased we've retained him despite another season of disappointment.

The key words are "trying to do the job of two halves".

Good post.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Commitment & involvement were great and on par with his pre injury form. Having said that his left foot drop goal attempt is inexcusable. Such a low % play that cost a repeat set when we had the momentum. Game management is still poor.

Remind me again, just how long was left on the clock when Widdop attempted THAT long range field goal.

Widdop has already proven he can be adept on the left foot, as he is on the right.

Life's Good

Coach
Well you certainly don't want to hang around for the 2nd half of GP if you can possibly avoid it and of course it comes with associated risk
I agree but you also need to weigh up risk & reward. A ' Hail Mary' shot, off balance using your wrong foot when 40m out isn't exactly a recipe for success and you saw the result.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Widdop has proven to be adept kicking with his left foot, so I'm not critical of his decision to attempt a field goal at a time when...y'know....the first scorer wins the match.

Gareth67

First Grade
Its heartening to see him playing good football once again . As already mentioned , there were a number of regrettable mistakes by him , however such is the life of a captain / playmaker , not everything that you do will come to fruition , but it is his job to try . Will only get better in the next few weeks , hopefully enough to be able to steer the Dragons to a semi-final berth .

Last edited:

Latest posts