What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

Charlie124

First Grade
Here you go.

State of Origin 2017: Cameron Smith says Johnathan Thurston is the best rugby league player there will ever be
PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
June 23, 2017 12:41pm
Subscriber only
MAROONS skipper Cameron Smith has hailed Johnathan Thurston as the new King of Origin, rating the Queensland champion the greatest player in Australian rugby league’s 109-year history.

Smith said Thurston is now in a league of his own after the Maroons maestro conjured his latest matchwinning miracle to keep Queensland’s 11-year dynasty alive in Origin II on Wednesday night.

Since State of Origin’s inception in 1980, the code has witnessed a posse of playmaking champions headlined by Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Allan Langer.
55cc5fb7c7d9a5f9fe91507a65034175

But in the ultimate barometer of Thurston’s standing in the game, Smith says the Cowboys ace has surpassed them all, labelling the 37-game veteran his finest Maroon teammate.

Smith, Origin’s most-capped player with 41 matches, believes rugby league will never produce another player with Thurston’s gifts.

“He is the greatest Queensland player I’ve played with and the best player there will ever be,” he said after watching Thurston carry a shoulder injury for 50 minutes to inspire an 18-16 victory.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/af107ba9b46dd607eb7d316efa3c86d0

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
BRASH young Dragons five-eighth Richie Williams has lit a fuse ahead of today's Anzac Day clash with the Roosters, claiming that his opposite, Braith Anasta, is a mere shadow of the player he once was.

Williams, who has himself recently come under criticism from fans and the Dragons coaching staff for inconsistent form, said Anasta was not as good as when he was voted the game's most overrated player in Rugby League Week players' polls in 2003, 2005 and 2006.

"I used to watch him growing up," Williams, 20, said of his 25-year-old rival. "He was doing some good things back then. If you are in first grade, you must be doing something right - so I think [the overrated tag] was unfair, but he is not as good as he was back then, trust me.

"He is still pretty good, but I want to get over the top of him. To outplay him is definitely the goal."

As if that wasn't enough to rile the Roosters for the traditional encounter, Williams has predicted they will finish last in the competition this season after five consecutive losses to start the year.

"The way they are going, you would have to say they'll win the wooden spoon. I think they'll hit some form during the season, but the way they are going now, they'll come last," Williams said.

"We will beat them for sure. We've got good, experienced players in the team; a lot of speed in the back line. We have to win this game. We've only won one all year and they haven't won any."

davi

Juniors
I prefer to think of it in positions and Cameron Smith is truly the best hooker ever to play the game. No question. I also think the depth at Hooker is not amazing compared to other positions and Smith is well and truly in front of his competition ( Steve Walters, Benny Elias, Noel Kelly) although I admit I never saw Kelly play.

Hooker's roles has changed so it's hard to compare Smith to those past players too some extent. Hooker was largely dummy half work and another forward on the field. Now the Hooker role has evolved and is another playmaker.

POPEYE

Coach
Thurston is the best player I've seen because he doesn't need to be 'excused' to be the best, Cam Smith is by far the most valuable player I've seen . . . easily first picked in any team of mine

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Rugby league journos, and sports journos in general, are obsessed with the GOAT concept.

Unless you're over 109 years old, have watched every game of rugby league ever played, have analysed different eras to standardize different rules, playing conditions etc its impossible to make a judgement on the 'best ever'.

No rugby league player is a standout among others like Don Bradman is in cricket. 10 years ago Andrew Johns was the GOAT, now its Smith, in ten years time they'll latch on to someone else.

That said Smith is pretty f**king good, Thurston overhyped.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I have huge respect for Thurston and he's an amazing attacking player but I could simply never consider a below average defender to be the greatest that I've seen.

But a lot of better judges than me don't seem fussed at all that he's a defensive weakness so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Smith however is the complete player. An excellent defender and a surgeon in attack. So for me he has more claim to the title.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Here you go.

State of Origin 2017: Cameron Smith says Johnathan Thurston is the best rugby league player there will ever be
PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
June 23, 2017 12:41pm
Subscriber only
MAROONS skipper Cameron Smith has hailed Johnathan Thurston as the new King of Origin, rating the Queensland champion the greatest player in Australian rugby league’s 109-year history.

Smith said Thurston is now in a league of his own after the Maroons maestro conjured his latest matchwinning miracle to keep Queensland’s 11-year dynasty alive in Origin II on Wednesday night.

Since State of Origin’s inception in 1980, the code has witnessed a posse of playmaking champions headlined by Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Allan Langer.
55cc5fb7c7d9a5f9fe91507a65034175

But in the ultimate barometer of Thurston’s standing in the game, Smith says the Cowboys ace has surpassed them all, labelling the 37-game veteran his finest Maroon teammate.

Smith, Origin’s most-capped player with 41 matches, believes rugby league will never produce another player with Thurston’s gifts.

“He is the greatest Queensland player I’ve played with and the best player there will ever be,” he said after watching Thurston carry a shoulder injury for 50 minutes to inspire an 18-16 victory.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/af107ba9b46dd607eb7d316efa3c86d0

Ha ha ha ha! That was quick!

justdave

Juniors
I've seen a few games when Jon has produced f**k all. Great player when his head is turned on. Cam is a merkin but he's up there. Not the best but in top 5/10. Very consistent

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Smith also has durability like very few can hope to match. For a relatively small forward making the defensive effort he does, it just remarkable.

It really does put him in a class of his own food the modern group of players, despite his occasionally grubby methods

justdave

Juniors
Smith also has durability like very few can hope to match. For a relatively small forward making the defensive effort he does, it just remarkable.

It really does put him in a class of his own food the modern group of players, despite his occasionally grubby methods
I'll agree to most of that. Not the occasional bit though