What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints Captain

Bench
There has been numerous posts about Widdop as teams captain.
Who do you think would be a better captain and why

There has been numerous posts about Widdop as teams captain.
Who do you think would be a better captain and why
Joel Thompson is the obvious choice.
1. Leads by example - Line speed, demon tackler, hard runner with the ball.
2. Passionate - never say die attitude.
3. Good talker on the field.
4. Australian heritage.
Players respect him and will follow him into battle all day long.
Let Widdop concentrate on being the best 5/8 that he can be.

epDragon62

First Grade
I can't think of something less relevant for this. You pick the player best suited, nothing else matters. You wouldn't dare suggest anyone other than Sam Burgess captain Souths would you?

Is that player Widdop for us? Who knows. I myself think Thompson is the clear option.
I think JDB is smarter and more consistent, I'd go for him.

That Gaz is not an Aussie is immaterial and a stupid point to raise.

I can't think of something less relevant for this. You pick the player best suited, nothing else matters. You wouldn't dare suggest anyone other than Sam Burgess captain Souths would you?

Is that player Widdop for us? Who knows. I myself think Thompson is the clear option.
I know everyone is bagging me for that criteria but I am talking about heritage not nationality.
We are playing in the NRL which is an elite Australian competition from which SOO and national teams are chosen from.
As much as it may seem irrelevant, it does (subjectively) make a difference when compared to alternatives.
No disrespect meant to Widdop whatsoever.

I thought Greg Inglis was the the Souths captain and John Sutton deputizes now that he is out.
Could be wrong.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I know everyone is bagging me for that criteria but I am talking about heritage not nationality.
We are playing in the NRL which is an elite Australian competition from which SOO and national teams are chosen from.
As much as it may seem irrelevant, it does (subjectively) make a difference when compared to alternatives.
No disrespect meant to Widdop whatsoever.

If you want to talk about heritage.. Half of the comp doesn't come from Australia. Most of their heritage is from the South Pacific/NZ etc.

I think you start playing a very dangerous game if the criteria to be a club captain is based on nationality or heritage. How would anyone with a slightly different heritage feel knowing they can never be captain?

monsterkev

Juniors
I also think Thompson would be a good captain he's not afraid to speak his mind and this team needs a ruthless person to keep everyone's minds on the job
Widdop wants to be the nice and it just does not motivate

If you want to talk about heritage.. Half of the comp doesn't come from Australia. Most of their heritage is from the South Pacific/NZ etc.

I think you start playing a very dangerous game if the criteria to be a club captain is based on nationality or heritage. How would anyone with a slightly different heritage feel knowing they can never be captain?
I think this comment has been seriously misunderstood.
"Dangerous game" - I don't think so.That is a total exaggeration.
I am certainly not advocating any restriction in terms of being chosen as team captain because of background or heritage.
I couldn't care less what their nationality or heritage of the captain is to be honest.
BUT, I am talking about who would be the best captain for our club.
Just compare Widdop against the other captains in the comp.
Storm - Cameron Smith - SOO and Australian representative
Sharks - Paul Gallen - SOO and Australian representative
Roosters - Boyd Cordner (co captain) - SOO and Australian representative
Cowboys - Jonathon Thurston - SOO and Australian representative
Eels - Beau Scott (co captain) - SOO and Australian representative
Panthers - Matt Moylan - SOO and Australian representative.
Souths - Greg Inglis - SOO and Australian reprsentative.
Tigers - Aaron Woods - SOO and Australian representative
Broncos - Darius Boyd - SOO and Australian representative
Manly - Daly Cherry Evans - SOO and Australian representative
Newcastle - Trent Hodkinson - SOO representative
Titans - Ryan James (co captain) - Minor Representation
Canberra - Jarrod Croker - Country origin and other minor representation
Auckland Warriors - Roger Tuivasa Scheck - NZ representative
Canterbury - James Graham - England International
St. George - Gareth Widdop - England International

So before we get all precious about the criteria of "heritage" let's look at the facts objectively.
13 out of the 16 clubs in the NRL have captains who have Australian heritage but, more importantly, have achieved representative honours in Australia.
Of those, 11 clubs have captains who have played SOO and have represented the Australian National Team.
The Warriors are an exception but in keeping with their own demographics and identity, their captain is a NZ international.
The only 2 exceptions are Canterbury who have gone with James Graham - you can make your own judgement as to his success as a captain in the NRL.
AND St. George/Illawarra who has appointed Gareth Widdop.
As an aside, Wayne Bennett appointed Ben Hornby (SOO and Australian representative) as captain of the Dragons in 2009 and who ultimately led the team to their first Premeirship as a JV.
So maybe that puts my criteria regarding "heritage" into perspective.
Every single club in the NRL is free to choose whoever they want for captain.
So these choices are not a coincidence and for me, it underlines why our club is being left behind.
I totally respect Widdop as a player but he is not the best choice for our club captain.

possm

Coach
Our captain should be Jack De Belin because:
  1. He is the second most senior player in our squad behind Nightingale.
  2. He is a quick thinker.
  3. He is inspirational.
  4. He is a one club player.
  5. He is Dragons through and through.
  6. I believe he can be trusted to make the right on-field decisions.

watatank

Coach
De Belin for mine. He's at the stage of his career where he is finally starting to deliver on the promise he's had for years. He's leading from the front here more than ever and you can see that he isn't far off from Origin (on merit). I also think he would be more comfortable being captain than say Frizell, who is another fine candidate but probably a little quiet.

Latest posts