What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to Roll the Dice

watatank

Coach
Fair enough, but the thread is about rolling the dice, not doing the same and hoping for the best.
Also, let's not pretend Dufty (or any number of youngsters) wouldn't make a difference until they're given a proper shot.

Maybe, but if they were going to make a difference they probably would have already played.

If any young player is going to make an impact, for mine it's Leilua who has already played and actually has skill. Mann is probably the only other move we can make and it's a marginal one at best.

The title may be called that but the OP is asking about how do we change things up and also try to make an impact in the finals. Adding speed isn't going to do anything unless it's associated with big, strong athletes that we don't have. The best move we can do is to add ball players to help the halves. Mann at fullback and Leilua as a ball playing forward are the moves to make that might make more of a difference than adding Dufty to the mix.

possm

Coach
McGreagor keeps rolling the dice and keeps coming up snake eyes.

I think McGreagr needs to admit he has a problem that he's powerless over and seek professional help.
Yes Mary admits to the Board that this is all beyond him. The Board pays him out and gives JD a one year deal to get things right with an option for a further year.

Bench
I would rather see Dufty get some game time off the bench before the season is over. We don't have any player that, at the moment, can fill the fullback role.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe, but if they were going to make a difference they probably would have already played.

If any young player is going to make an impact, for mine it's Leilua who has already played and actually has skill. Mann is probably the only other move we can make and it's a marginal one at best.

The title may be called that but the OP is asking about how do we change things up and also try to make an impact in the finals. Adding speed isn't going to do anything unless it's associated with big, strong athletes that we don't have. The best move we can do is to add ball players to help the halves. Mann at fullback and Leilua as a ball playing forward are the moves to make that might make more of a difference than adding Dufty to the mix.
You seem opposed to Dufty getting a shot and some highlight Mary doesn't have a skill set to help him.
The issue is Mc Fookknuckle is the coach for 2018/19 so there is an immediate roadblock for any of the potential young brigade coming through.
Surely the remainder of 2017 can be put to good use by Mary coming to grips with how to create a pathway and get these kids acclimatised to NRL and beginning the process of who we invest in and who we offload as not many will actually make it?
If he doesn't do it now and we again start 2018 with the so called tried and proved older players (who never get the actual job done of making us real contenders) and we meet with success for the first 10 rounds as we did this year and to a lesser extent 2016 / 2015 and it invariably goes pear shape and we again desperately try to cling onto making the 8 with a busted & semi unless line up as we are currently doing, we are just repeating the same old mediocre outcomes.
There comes a time in the life of everything when you have to throw caution to the wind in an effort to get out of the hole you're in and now is such a time.

Dufty
Thompson
Dugan
Lafai
McDonald
Widdop
Mann
LAM
McInnes
Vaughan
Thompson
Frizzell
JDB

Sims
Host
Leilua
Sele

My view is Field is not ready for FG

If he were ready I would play him at 7

If we find ourselves out of contention to make the 8 with 2 games to go, I would give Lomax a start in the centres.

I am assuming Packer is unable to play for next few rounds.

Most important board decision would involve sacking Mary after final round.

We need a FG coach,not a water boy or painter.

watatank

Coach
You seem opposed to Dufty getting a shot and some highlight Mary doesn't have a skill set to help him.
The issue is Mc Fookknuckle is the coach for 2018/19 so there is an immediate roadblock for any of the potential young brigade coming through.
Surely the remainder of 2017 can be put to good use by Mary coming to grips with how to create a pathway and get these kids acclimatised to NRL and beginning the process of who we invest in and who we offload as not many will actually make it?
If he doesn't do it now and we again start 2018 with the so called tried and proved older players (who never get the actual job done of making us real contenders) and we meet with success for the first 10 rounds as we did this year and to a lesser extent 2016 / 2015 and it invariably goes pear shape and we again desperately try to cling onto making the 8 with a busted & semi unless line up as we are currently doing, we are just repeating the same old mediocre outcomes.
There comes a time in the life of everything when you have to throw caution to the wind in an effort to get out of the hole you're in and now is such a time.

Well I don't think Dufty will make an immediate impact and I don't think he should be expected to either.

All I was saying was the idea that the younger guys will come in, help us win more games and see us go far into the finals, is misguided. If we play the younger players we are looking towards 2018 and beyond, not because we think they will make an immediate impact and help us win games. Which I'm fine with, BTW. I'm sure you agree with this.

barry

Juniors
How the hell can you guys think about dropping Macdonald?

Week in week out his got us out of trouble so many times in our own half, he single handily got us in the match against the Raiders when they were all over us.

blacksafake

First Grade
I know it's a bit different because they're out of contention but Souths today against the cowboys fielded I think 6 players 21 or under.
If we were/are out of contention( which could very well be soon) do you think P plate would do something similar? I don't.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I know it's a bit different because they're out of contention but Souths today against the cowboys fielded I think 6 players 21 or under.
If we were/are out of contention( which could very well be soon) do you think P plate would do something similar? I don't.

Blacksafake
Unfortunately I don't think he would.
He plays plan a and never changes it.
Thats includes to sicking to the same 18 players.
The smart coaches have more than one plan.
Look at the cowboys loose Thurston for the year.
Everyone writes them off.
Green changes the way they play and there are competitive .
That's were McGregor let us all down including the players

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
How the hell can you guys think about dropping Macdonald?

Week in week out his got us out of trouble so many times in our own half, he single handily got us in the match against the Raiders when they were all over us.

Barry
I agree re McDonald attack is improving.
But defensively he is still poor.
And caching the ball also.

grouch

First Grade

Ahem. You seem to be forgetting about Jordan Pereira

barry

Juniors
Barry
I agree re McDonald attack is improving.
But defensively he is still poor.
And caching the ball also.
Sorry but when was the last time a try was scored due to Macdonald failing in defense? In the last 3 games he has had 3 different centres inside him, when was the last time we had the same centre that played the full 80 minutes in consecutive matches?

From memory the last time Macdonalds opposite winger scored a try was back in round 10 against the Sharks.

He hasnt had 1 decent attacking bomb kicked to him because our kicking in attack is dreadful.

Macdonald is the last person to blame for the current rot that we are in.

barry

Juniors
I think its definately time to bring in Leilua, the team i would like to see;

1. Dugan
2. Nene
3. Aitken
4. Lafai (this guy needs to wake up his reminding me of the slow injured Lafai)
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Mcrone
8. Packer
9. Mcinness
10. Vaughn
11. Frizz
12. Thommo
13. JDB

14. Sims
15. Ah mau
16. Leilua