What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

King hit

Coach
The main reason why I always rate Joey as the best player I've ever seen is for the following reasons

- His defense was just as good as his attack. Lockyer and Thurston are awesome (Locky's case was) and their instinct was second to none but they struggle defensively and were below average. Joey had no problems defensively. He could make 40 tackles and carry guys like Webcke backwards

- He was unbelievable in attack throwing cut out passes, general play kicking etc etc.

- His influence on teams was incredible. I still remember 2005 when Newcastle lost 13 straight games and then won 8 of their last 10 or something when Joey returned. Newcastle could've gone back to back in 2002 from memory before Joey's injury. In 2001 the Knights lost 5 straight when he was out I think. Just look at how the Knights have gone since 2007. The Broncos have made a Grand Final and will never decline to the Knights level (another reason why I go with Joey over Lockyer)

- The 2005 Origin series was the greatest display I've ever seen and that was against Smith/Lockyer/Thurston/Slater and a fair few other great QLD players. He played some awesome games for Australia as well and captained Australia and his state. Something Thurston didn't do.

- NSW have only had 1 series win ever since he retired and the halfback position has been contentious.

- He won 2 grand finals against the odds. Manly and Parra were hot favorites in 1997 and 2001 but Joey had a huge role in the wins. No disrespect to Lockyer and Thurston for the achievements. You could maybe give Locky the edge here but there is no way Thurston batters Johns here.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Agreed but I'd add Freddie.
Another genius seemingly forgotten in the debate.

If Freddy wasn't as gifted a footballer as the likes of Slater and Thurston then I'll walk nude to Birdsville.

Passing (amazing long pass), running (THAT step), great defender, leadership, mastered 3 positions across the backs and forwards - Freddy was another complete player who made footy look ridiculously easy.

Freddy, at worst, belongs in the same breath as Slater, Locky, JT and Smith imo.

Life's Good

Coach
Like most others, for mine, the best players I have seen in the last 20yrs(in no order):
Fittler
Lockyer
A Johns
Slater
Smith
Thurston
Special mention goes to Mitchell Pearce. 18 origins, no series wins. That takes some talent or very good pictures.

Shorty

Staff member
There could be players that run rings around Andrew Johns but no cockroach will rate them anyway.
Joey was the last decent halfback for the Blues and 2005 was a great series for him.
Blue tinted glasses etc lol.

I agree with this thread, on Wednesday night Smith was close to perfect and he'll probably repeat that performance in October to win Melb the gf.

Hutty1986

Immortal
There could be players that run rings around Andrew Johns but no cockroach will rate them anyway.
Joey was the last decent halfback for the Blues and 2005 was a great series for him.

I agree with this thread, on Wednesday night Smith was close to perfect and he'll probably repeat that performance in October to win Melb the gf.
Ah, so bias is purely a NSW thing is it?

Knightmare

Coach
Ah, so bias is purely a NSW thing is it?

It is.

If you can't accept the clear fact that Queenslanders are better footballers, better people, have more passion, never whinge, are never grubs and are the last true Australians then you're just a bitter NSWanker and probably a Kings Cross shirt lifter to boot

In Austraya we eat meat, we drink Bundy and we speak f**kin English!

PAULINE FOR PM!

KWEENSLANDAAH!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Another genius seemingly forgotten in the debate.

If Freddy wasn't as gifted a footballer as the likes of Slater and Thurston then I'll walk nude to Birdsville.

Passing (amazing long pass), running (THAT step), great defender, leadership, mastered 3 positions across the backs and forwards - Freddy was another complete player who made footy look ridiculously easy.

Freddy, at worst, belongs in the same breath as Slater, Locky, JT and Smith imo.
dished out a couple of lessons to joey in the finals iirc

Shorty

Staff member
It is.

If you can't accept the clear fact that Queenslanders are better footballers, better people, have more passion, never whinge, are never grubs and are the last true Australians then you're just a bitter NSWanker and probably a Kings Cross shirt lifter to boot

In Austraya we eat meat, we drink Bundy and we speak f**kin English!

PAULINE FOR PM!

KWEENSLANDAAH!
Bloody Pauline, didn't WA vote her in too? They deserve some of the blame.

You are kidding.. Cam Smith doesn`t need drugs to play footy like john`s did during his career

Anyone who's ever come down from a big night on the beers n pingers in Newy will tell you that, it's hardly a performance enhancing experience.

Anyway. For all the talent and ability to control a game Smith has, being on a cheat team deems him ineligible.

Agree with all other posters who said that judging across positions and eras can't really be done.

POPEYE

Coach
Anyone who's ever come down from a big night on the beers n pingers in Newy will tell you that, it's hardly a performance enhancing experience.

Anyway. For all the talent and ability to control a game Smith has, being on a cheat team deems him ineligible.

Agree with all other posters who said that judging across positions and eras can't really be done.
Your bait is stale ol' mate . . . the Maroons will never admit to cheating

Nice Beaver

First Grade

This is surely just a bad trolling post, right?

Latest posts