What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nines tournament suspended for 2018

Vee

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/nrl-nines-tournament-suspended-for-2018/tabid/10874/newsid/109938/default.aspx

NRL Media Release

The NRL, ATEED (Auckland Tourism, Events & Economic Development) and Duco Events today confirmed that the NRL Nines Tournament will be suspended next year to ease the workload of players following the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said the Nines had been one of the game’s success stories over the last four years and had a long term future on the Rugby League calendar.

But he said that with the Rugby League World Cup running until 2 December, it was not viable to ask elite players to back up for the Nines tournament in early 2018.

The same applies for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game in the pre-season, which will also not be held in 2018 but will return in 2019.

Mr Abdo said there was every chance the NRL Nines would be held in Australia when it returns to the Rugby League calendar and the NRL would seek expressions of interest from cities interested in hosting the event.

He said that Auckland had been a fantastic host of the event and confirmed that there is a strong likelihood that the event will return to New Zealand in the future rotation.

Bring on Perth 2019.
The NRL and Duco Events acknowledged the important role that ATEED had played in the establishment and ongoing success of the event, along with major sponsor Downer and other event partners.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've seen so many excuses by journos on why the 9s has been losing crowds and tv viewers every year, with this year's tournament being quite a disaster, without addressing the obvious.

9s rugby league is kinda boring

T-Boon

Coach
Nines has great potential but it needs to be developed outside of the NRL and NRL clubs who f**k everything they touch.

I'd like to see Super League try to run with it.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I like it purely because it means more rugby league.

But something needs to be done. It lost it's spark because NRL clubs, fairly or unfairly, started to withdraw star players due to injuries.

If we aren't gonna see the best then what's the point?

DlEHARD

Juniors
Not really news because its after the World Cup. And fair enough.

But it needs to come back hard, lets invite English sides and international teams...

Jono Russell

Bench
I would like to see the 9s be more like the Rugby 7s. It's own comp run through the year. No NRL clubs or players at all.

It has the potential to be huge but it never will be whilst the NRL, Clubs and players have their own self interests first.

Fangs

Coach
Needs more money in it. Not enough incentive to actually win the comp, unless you are one of the shit poor clubs.

Agreed with previous posts, invite teams from abroad. Not just the super league. Its the best platform for minnow sides like PNG and the USA.

Maybe even a auction deal like the IPL. They can target recently retired players who will be good for 10 minutes of football.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There's many problems a part from the fact that it is boring.

For starters is players. Nrl players by and large aren't suited to 9s. They spend all off-season preparing for endurance of full games. 9s is short sharp intervals were you have to back up in a few hours. That's why younger players/teams thrived.
But this is countered by people won't show unless established stars are playing. It's a catch 22. Many people criticized Easts, storm and Panthers for sending kids instead of their 'stars' yet they were the best 3 teams at this year's tournament. On the flipside, Cowboys were praised for sending the best 9s squad ever and they flopped. Most sides who sent established players flopped, look at the warriors in the first 3 years.

You could set up a curcuit with its own players, but where would you get the players from? Most players will be still trying to focus on making the nrl. So what you would have is players who are a few years out of the nyc but haven't made the nrl, or players who are old, but not old enough to retire, who don't cut it in the nrl anymore. Just going mainly off rabbitohs players that fit the criteria, a 9s team would look something like

john Olive, Ed Murphy, Mociedreke, Luke Kelly, Josh Mcrone, dave Tyrrell, Jack Gosielwelki, jayden Hodges, john falou.

Not exactly going to draw people in.

POPEYE

Coach
9's is a TV game that doesn't need NRL players, people will watch like they do Rugby 7's because it's the right time of year for RL starved supporters. The format should be used to display players that wouldn't otherwise get a chance to be 'recognised'

I'd go as far to ban all players that have played NRL, as long as Fox can make a quid out of it is all that matters. Doesn't matter a tuppenny f**k if one eyed traditional RL followers like it not . . . no-one is forcing them to watch

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont know why anyone is surprised that 9s doesnt get much interest anymore, it is buried on FOX....

In all the years it has been run, i have never seen a game. Of course C9 wont be interested, but give it to 10 or even the ABC and well get +2mil people across the country watching at least pieces.

And get the f*cking clubs away from this. They try to kill everything they touch...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Needs more money in it. Not enough incentive to actually win the comp, unless you are one of the shit poor clubs.

Agreed with previous posts, invite teams from abroad. Not just the super league. Its the best platform for minnow sides like PNG and the USA.

Maybe even a auction deal like the IPL. They can target recently retired players who will be good for 10 minutes of football.

Just give the money directly to players....

Clubs can eat a chode. If they players are getting paid, they will want to turn up.

POPEYE

Coach
I dont know why anyone is surprised that 9s doesnt get much interest anymore, it is buried on FOX....

In all the years it has been run, i have never seen a game. Of course C9 wont be interested, but give it to 10 or even the ABC and well get +2mil people across the country watching at least pieces.

And get the f*cking clubs away from this. They try to kill everything they touch...
You don't have Fox? . . . a RL follower that watches on free to air, fancy that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure it needs the star players if the weekend is a massive party atmosphere with heaps of off field stuff and entertainment happening. Make it the must do thing and the rl becomes an added bonus. Get the organisers of the big bash to run it, they know how to put on an entertaining sports event.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You don't have Fox? . . . a RL follower that watches on free to air, fancy that

Yeh, we are a dying breed. (Great business model when to sport is only promoted to people already willing to shell out $40/m to see it. And we wonder why support is stalling)...

At least FOX is good for promoting sport. I mean SuperRugby and the ALeague of going gangbusters right???

axl rose

Bench
Boring with just the NRL. Needs a Aboriginal Dream Team, PNG, and sorely misses the flamboyance of Fiji who were the highlight of the 7s back in the day.

Oh well, its dead.

Latest posts