What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns picks Brad Fittler to take Laurie Daley job, would consider assistant role

OldPanther

Coach
https://out.reddit.com/t3_6nla8b?url=https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/state-of-origin/andrew-johns-wont-coach-nsw-blues-backs-fellow-champion-to-take-over-from-laurie-daley/news-story/39ad50b5fa6c9ff43707632fe01daad7&token=AQAAbD1rWRU1lguPG6SN_iEOBdeJRHMX67b9_EDvYfvBl7JpxkzT&app_name=reddit.com

Fellow NSW greats Johns and Fittler were thrown up as leading coaching contenders in the wake of the Blues’ latest dispiriting series defeat, the fourth in five years under Daley.

But Johns doesn’t want the job.

“I’ve seen what it does, especially this series, with the pressure on Laurie Daley but also (Queensland coach) Kevin Walters was under, I don’t need that in my life,” Johns said on the Nine Network on Sunday. “If Laurie was not to continue, I think Brad Fittler served his apprenticeship with (NSW) City Country. He’s had great success with the City team, and I think he’d be ready to step in.”

Fittler refused to comment on his availability until Daley’s future was decided but, significantly, didn’t rule out the possibility.

“At the moment there’s no job and Laurie Daley is a really good mate of mine. I pay him all the respect,” Fittler said on the Nine Network.

“Obviously there’s a decision either he’s making or the league’s making and until that happens, nothing will be said or considered.”

But that didn’t stop the former NSW skipper from calling on the state’s NRL players to begin campaigning immediately as the search continues for players to end Queensland’s reign.

It came after Fittler and Blues legend Glenn Lazarus agreed with NSW’s most successful coach Phil Gould that the Blues lacked a strong player leadership group.

“Leadership’s a life commitment. You just can’t be a leader one day because Phil Gould or someone else says we need leaders,” Fittler said.

“When you look at the leaders in Queensland, they lead week in, week out. They play the same football week in, week out. They show each of the teammates they play with they’re desperate. “Over this period, we’ve missed that. We haven’t got the players that are leaders inside out.

“The good thing is there’s an opportunity for any NSW player who wants to stand up, be a leader and work hard. There’s a position there for you.”

Johns said he would consider helping Fittler as an assistant coach or consultant.

“I haven’t really given it much thought but I love the state that much and love the jersey that I’d give it a strong consideration,” he said.

Danish

Referee
Seems Johns has graduated from the Phil Gould school of cowardice, and will be happy to just throw stones from the commentary box

OldPanther

Coach
Seems Johns has graduated from the Phil Gould school of cowardice, and will be happy to just throw stones from the commentary box

You're talking about NSW best half back and best coach ever there lol. Pretty sure both have done more for origin than any of us could dream of. If they're cowards than us having an opinion must make us something more terrible than the English language has words for.

I'm also looking forward to the commentary from now on.

Host: So what did you make of that game Joey.

Johns: Sorry mate the boys online said I can't say anything if I'm not willing to coach so I'll just sit here thanks.

Danish

Referee
You're talking about NSW best half back and best coach ever there lol. Pretty sure both have done more for origin than any of us could dream of. If they're cowards than us having an opinion must make us something more terrible than the English language has words for.

I'm also looking forward to the commentary from now on.

Host: So what did you make of that game Joey.

Johns: Sorry mate the boys online said I can't say anything if I'm not willing to coach so I'll just sit here thanks.

If you are in a position to make change, you must do it. None of us can ever dream of being in that position. Joey is practically being begged to step up, but has said he doesn't want to because he "doesn't need that stress".

If you outright refuse to take a job, you have no right to then chastise and criticise the person who is willing to do it in your place

OldPanther

Coach
If you are in a position to make change, you must do it. None of us can ever dream of being in that position. Joey is practically being begged to step up, but has said he doesn't want to because he "doesn't need that stress".

If you outright refuse to take a job, you have no right to then chastise and criticise the person who is willing to do it in your place

He's saying he will still be involved in some capacity because he loves the blues and wants them to succeed. It's probably better if he's assistant since Freddie has actually coached NRL and rep teams. He can have his input while Fittler does the mudane running of things.

Danish

Referee
He's saying he will still be involved in some capacity because he loves the blues and wants them to succeed. It's probably better if he's assistant since Freddie has actually coached NRL and rep teams. He can have his input while Fittler does the mudane running of things.

He said he might be involved.... but hasn't really thought about it.

I'll believe when he actually fronts up

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
He doesn't want the pressure after seeing what it does to people.

Then recommends fittler for the job.

With friends like these......

Caped Crusader

Juniors
lol ok m8

It takes a fair bit of bottle to admit you dont think you are up to it. We all know his struggles with dealing with the pressure of expectation as a player and im sure hed be looking to avoid anything likely to trigger old behaviors. The bloke absolutely bleeds sky blue and wants whats best for the team.

Call him a coward if you wish but imo you are well wide of the mark

OldPanther

Coach
He said he might be involved.... but hasn't really thought about it.

I'll believe when he actually fronts up

Even if he doesn't he isn't a coward. He gets paid by channel 9 to do a job and he does it. It just happens that he shows how much he cares in that opinion. He's not like all of us on here death riding a team because we're pissed off fans.

League guru

Juniors
Isn' t Joey currently tutoring Pearce in half back play. He was talking Pearce up at the start of the series so it is only fair that he accepts some of the blame for the series failure. Fittler, Sterling, Gould and Joey all rated NSW certainties in game three. I haven't heard any of them say they were wrong. It's easier being a commentator/expert.

Barkley

Bench
We're f**ked either way...they're both Pearce lovers. It wouldn't matter who the coach was as long as this bloke is steering us around the park.

Fangs

Coach
Great players don't always make great coaches.

What has Andrew Johns shown to be crowned as the next coach of NSW?

When Des gets sacked by the Dogs I'd offer him the role.