What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typical of saints

barry

Juniors
I for one have to admit i saw this rot happening, the same thing happened in 2015 and i was quick to start a thread after the Tigers game.

I dont mind the team going through a purple patch midway through the year, the origin is a stain on the game and it kills teams seasons. Its what we do after origin (now) that counts.

Theres no excuses from here on in, Dugan & Frizzell were busted, JDB hasnt had a break (although didnt play origin was in camp) his calf isnt 100% and in the middle he is the heart of the team.

This game against Manly can make or break our season, if we can somehow click into form we could make a run in the finals.

Ace-STi

Juniors
While on this topic, Typical of saints, can someone help me out with some stats about Golden Point. Let me say I hate GP as a general principle. A point each for an 80 minute draw I think is a fair result. And how fair is a scramble for the first field goal? At least Canberra beat us with a try.

But adding to my principled opposition to GP is our appalling win/loss record in GP. I can only recall 2 wins from something like 20 attempts. Can anyone produce the actual stats?
Would be on 2 extra points if we had 2 draws

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
BSE,
Dragonsteve2

......up untill June 25th 2017 Dragons have won 1 in 5 previous attempts so obviously its now 1 in 6......unfortunately not very good is it...lets hope from now on we are comfortably ahead after 80.....
Thanks so much for your research. However only 6 GP games just seems way less than I would have thought so I have tried my own research. Wikipedia surprised me by having an up-to-date listing.

Wiki's stats:

14th out of 16 teams
St. George Illawarra Dragons have played 14 GP games (before Canberra)
4 wins
1 draw
9 losses (Canberra makes 10)
winning % 32.1 (now 26%, 1% above Knights and Tigers compared to the Dogs with a 73% winning %).

Another issue for the coaching staff to work on!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
BSE,

Thanks so much for your research. However only 6 GP games just seems way less than I would have thought so I have tried my own research. Wikipedia surprised me by having an up-to-date listing.

Wiki's stats:

14th out of 16 teams
St. George Illawarra Dragons have played 14 GP games (before Canberra)
4 wins
1 draw
9 losses (Canberra makes 10)
winning % 32.1 (now 26%, 1% above Knights and Tigers compared to the Dogs with a 73% winning %).

Another issue for the coaching staff to work on!
Ok yes thought 6 was a bit light on.....got mine from google as well sorry must have read wrong data

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I for one have to admit i saw this rot happening, the same thing happened in 2015 and i was quick to start a thread after the Tigers game.

I dont mind the team going through a purple patch midway through the year, the origin is a stain on the game and it kills teams seasons. Its what we do after origin (now) that counts.

Theres no excuses from here on in, Dugan & Frizzell were busted, JDB hasnt had a break (although didnt play origin was in camp) his calf isnt 100% and in the middle he is the heart of the team.

This game against Manly can make or break our season, if we can somehow click into form we could make a run in the finals.

I have to be honest (and somewhat hopefull) and say that I did not see this coming.
I genuinely thought that Mary has learned from previous mistakes and def had a plan B.
Add in Mark Coyne s involvment sold me a notion that we had a better balance in management.

getsmarty

Immortal
I disagree that the power game is not sustainable. Melbourne and Brisbane have been doing it for years. It's all about field position. The thing that they do well is that when a break is made or opposition is on the back foot, the playmakers take over. Not us, we still have to go through our plan. More forward runs until tackle 4 then backline second man play ( like the opposition don't know thats coming) and then fifth tackle bomb.

Early in the year we were playing as the play makers saw it and we scoring lots of points but now we have reverted back to the old boring football that we are used too. Stop passing the ball back 5m for players to then build up a head of steam, you need to be catching it just behind the play the ball or just over if you are in Cameron Smiths team.

Wake up Mary, take the blinkers off and gets us back to the style of play that had us leading the competition.

Melbourne have Bellamy and Broncos have Bennett. We have scored the majority of our tries on the left edge and teams have worked this out hence the muscling up on Widdop and Lafai.

We played better in the last game but in reality you need more than a Power Game to compete over an entire season. The biggest problem is that we only have a Plan A ( this has been the case since 2014 ) and when things don't work we do not have the experience in the coaching staff to adapt our systems apart from running the same ridiculous block plays that have been predictable for the last 3 years..
What we are seeing this year is very similar to 2015 and we have an improved squad compared to 2015.

Asking the coach to wake up is just not going to work as after 3 years we can see what he has produced and IMHO he is not the worst coach in the NRL but his lack of experience has been there for all to see since 2014.and the club needs to bring in outside help as what we are seeing is just not working.

Bench
Any coach worth a peanut would have noticed the turn around after say, 10 rounds and change things around. Does Mary even watch video of the games lately.
He would not be required to make wholesale changes.
McDonald has obvious issues with defence and he either needed to be dropped or at the very least have Dufty come on off the bench for the last 15 minutes,
We know Dugan is leaving and Dufty appears will be his replacement, Dufty should be given the opportunity to see how he will handle that. Put Dugan in the centers and that would strengthen defence in the centres,
I fear that we will have to wait till the trails next season before Dufty has a chance.
Hunts arrival is going to be great, but that only answers one problem of not having a half back this year.
Then there is a replacement for Packer and maybe a center with some speed