What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst co-commentator

Brutus

Referee
There are no standards to be a RL commentator it seems. As long as you have a name, you're in. Hodges, Lockyer and Parker ffs.

no name

Coach
Oh god... I just had a terrible thought: we will probably get Laurie Daley back next year
There was a replay of the '09 GF on last week and Daley was one of the commentators.
I had forgotten how bad he was, awful is an understatement.
Obvious, cliched dribble.

Incorrect

Coach
Well it sounds like league viewers everywhere have dodged a bullet because Daley is now rumoured to be staying on as NSW coach.... except those league viewers who are NSW fans of course - in which case the news is bittersweet as your Origin team will likely continue to plumb new depths in 2018....

undertaker

Coach
Oh god... I just had a terrible thought: we will probably get Laurie Daley back next year
channel-nine-commentators-matthew-johns-and-laurie-daley-address-the-picture-id81160270

undertaker

Coach
There was a replay of the '09 GF on last week and Daley was one of the commentators.
I had forgotten how bad he was, awful is an understatement.
Obvious, cliched dribble.

It's hard to believe he lasted at Fox Sports as the main colour commentator to Warren Smith for 11 years (2001-12, 2008 excluded as he was at Ch9 that year)

Canard

Immortal
It's hard to believe he lasted at Fox Sports as the main colour commentator to Warren Smith for 11 years (2001-12, 2008 excluded as he was at Ch9 that year)

I was OS in 2008, what was Daley like with C9 crew and why did it not last?

King hit

Coach
Darren Lockyer is probably the worst, not only does he have a terrible voice for TV he is completely boring and offers almost no insight into the game at all.

undertaker

Coach
I was OS in 2008, what was Daley like with C9 crew and why did it not last?

IIRC, Daley was expecting a prominent role at Ch9 (hence why he jumped ship from Fox), but was only occasionally used as a sideline commentator in NRL matches and rarely used as colour commentator, hence why he went back to Fox in 2009.

Also, another obvious factor was he looked completely out of place on The Footy Show alongside Fatty, Matt Johns and Chief.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I listened to the Triple M call on Sunday.

Gordon Tallis is atrocious.

This bloke loves the sound of his own voice and cannot shut up. The main problem being he has the speaking skills of an 8 year old, particularly when he gets excited and has to explain a try.

no name

Coach
This year it has been a 5 way tie bewtween Anasta, Gasnier, Parker, Roach and Walters for me.
Anasta bags the f**k out of anyone who isn't the Roosters
Gasnier tries to sound like an intellect and the backs it up with 'they need to stop giving away them penalties'
Parker has the personality of a brick. The Broncos and their 3rd party deals have f**ked the viewing public over.
Roach's answer for everything 'they need to go through the middle'
And Walters stumbles his way through.

It's like Fox have deliberately found the worst people for the job.

Brutus

Referee
This year it has been a 5 way tie bewtween Anasta, Gasnier, Parker, Roach and Walters for me.
Anasta bags the f**k out of anyone who isn't the Roosters
Gasnier tries to sound like an intellect and the backs it up with 'they need to stop giving away them penalties'
Parker has the personality of a brick. The Broncos and their 3rd party deals have f**ked the viewing public over.
Roach's answer for everything 'they need to go through the middle'
And Walters stumbles his way through.

It's like Fox have deliberately found the worst people for the job.

It's weird. They had a guy like Jimmy Smith last year who speaks very well then they banish him to the reserve grade stuff.

Blocker still hasn't learnt to pronounce 'really' correctly. He uses the Kylie Mole method of 'rooly'.

grouch

First Grade
Gasnier trips himself on his turns of phrase from time to time but I still think he's one of the most insightful from a from a tactical point of view. And what about his pre-game predictions the last couple of weeks? Insane

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Belcher does the occasional ones but I heard he's doing the World Cup.

As for the Kiwi commentators, the last few Warriors home games we've had the Fox guys calling, although it aint much better.