What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Nines tournament suspended for 2018

POPEYE

Coach
Yeh, we are a dying breed. (Great business model when to sport is only promoted to people already willing to shell out $40/m to see it. And we wonder why support is stalling)...

At least FOX is good for promoting sport. I mean SuperRugby and the ALeague of going gangbusters right???
The only sport on Fox I watch is RL, Snooker, motor racing, the occasional darts and live surfing, ignore most of everything else . . . still, $40 a month that includes 32 games of RL is worth more to me than the one carton of piss I have to forego in exchange. Oh, I do keep my eye out for Women's Beach Volleyball as well

I'm proud to support RL for everyone by helping to keep Fox in business and even though most of basic plan Foxtel is shit I still manage to record (can't abide paying for ads) a hundred hours or so of stuff like GOT that interest me

POPEYE

Coach
Boring with just the NRL. Needs a Aboriginal Dream Team, PNG, and sorely misses the flamboyance of Fiji who were the highlight of the 7s back in the day.

Oh well, its dead.
9's should include entrant teams that otherwise have little opportunity to showcase their possible value to the game of RL, it's surprising what Fox will telecast . . . nothing insidious about it, no hidden threat to residents of Wankerland

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The only sport on Fox I watch is RL, Snooker, motor racing, the occasional darts and live surfing, ignore most of everything else . . . still, $40 a month that includes 32 games of RL is worth more to me than the one carton of piss I have to forego in exchange. Oh, I do keep my eye out for Women's Beach Volleyball as well

I'm proud to support RL for everyone by helping to keep Fox in business and even though most of basic plan Foxtel is shit I still manage to record (can't abide paying for ads) a hundred hours or so of stuff like GOT that interest me

I think you misunderstand. Im not complaining that NRL is mostly on FOX, it is clearly what needs to happen from a financial POV...

What annoys me is that we have this new product that could be very successful with some decent promotion, and we hide it away on FOX. Why is anyone surprised that the crowds have fallen so badly, when it gets no general exposure?

Get this of FTA and interest would boom....

Spot On

Coach
I've seen so many excuses by journos on why the 9s has been losing crowds and tv viewers every year, with this year's tournament being quite a disaster, without addressing the obvious.

9s rugby league is kinda boring

Amen.

POPEYE

Coach
You think it'll be run again Pops?
RL needs every bit of help it can get to either find talent or keep talent interested . . . only a f**king idiot would want the 9's to fold, especially if it wasn't obligatory for NRL clubs to enter

TheVelourFog

First Grade
RL needs every bit of help it can get to either find talent or keep talent interested . . . only a f**king idiot would want the 9's to fold, especially if it wasn't obligatory for NRL clubs to enter

They should remove the requirement for clubs to send 10 of their best players

Clubs (rightly) don't want important players risking injury for an exhibition

Give the rookies a chance to shine

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should remove the requirement for clubs to send 10 of their best players

Clubs (rightly) don't want important players risking injury for an exhibition

Give the rookies a chance to shine

yeh I think you need some first teamers in it but as long as the stars of the game are there signing autographs, getting selfies etc then that is enough. I don't see any issues with 1st team wingers, centres etc being in it. Like I said before make it so people want to go because it is a kick ass entertaining event, not because they want to see Thurston or Cronk playing and it will be a success. I went to big bash and couldn't tell you the name of any of the players as I don't follow cricket, I just went with mates because it was a great night out.

Fangs

Coach
1so18w.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
The problem with nines is there are not enough players on the field. All that space is ugly.

Latest posts