What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduling Con in New TV Deal?

Vee

First Grade
I was talking to Cowboys CEO Greg Tonner at the game yesterday bemoaning the Thursday night and Friday night games that hurt our crowds when he said the whole draw will be done by the end of October but Nein and Fox still pick when the games are played. Huh?

I questioned him pretty carefully about the new deal and the game getting the draw back but he insisted that wasn't the case and it was business as usual with the scheduling.

Unless we were misunderstanding each other, there's something pretty dodgy going on. Maybe we were but I was working hard to get the truth and he stuck to his story.

Can anyone clarify?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Grant said as clear as a bell when annoucing the new deal , one of the features of the new deal is the NRL ... WILL... regain control of the draw from 2018
simple as that
the undesirable days & timeslots remain , the NRL chooses which games are played on them though which is a huge difference.

so Im not sure what this cowboys guy is talking about tbh ...

taipan

Referee
Grant said as clear as a bell when annoucing the new deal , one of the features of the new deal is the NRL ... WILL... regain control of the draw from 2018
simple as that
the undesirable days & timeslots remain , the NRL chooses which games are played on them though which is a huge difference.

That's my understanding.
The bleeding times slots will remain, but the NRL dictates which matches will be played in those slots.At least the clubs will have more input than they do now.
So you could conceivable have abig drawing game on a Sunday afternoon in Sydney,rather than a hopeless 6pm Friday night.

POPEYE

Coach
If you can condition yourself to record every game and watch it when you want if not live all that matters is do you actually need to go to a game. I do sympathise with those that do but I have better things to do with the time I have left

Vee

First Grade
simple as that

That's the way I remember it too and that's why I kept pressing him to clarify but I'm still none the wiser.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's the way I remember it too and that's why I kept pressing him to clarify but I'm still none the wiser.

I think it had been reported numerous times but worryingly there is no mention of it in the official NRL release. You'd think they would have mentioned it! A quick search and I cant find any official source from the NRL laying claim that they will control scheduling next year.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-broadcast-rights-deal-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/91023/default.aspx

El Diablo

Post Whore
excerpt from an article in March this year

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/2f56cbbccde4907ffac9230e6f853869

The US odyssey would also be seen as a firm statement by the NRL that the season draw is now in their hands, after more than a decade of being contracted to negotiate with the host broadcaster on when and where games are played.

And already, the NRL are ahead in their planning of the official NRL draw for next season.

It’s hoped that instead of being revealed in early December, the 2018 NRL draw will be released soon after the NRL grand final on October 1.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure we can say they have lied as I can't find any offical nrl comment on it. There has been plenty of media comment though so they've got it from somewhere.

taipan

Referee
Not sure we can say they have lied as I can't find any offical nrl comment on it. There has been plenty of media comment though so they've got it from somewhere.

Fair dinkum it doesn't matter what is stated ,you will always find a negative.
Rip and tear if it doesn't happen, and I'll jump on your bus.
We know the admin stuffs up at times, but just now and again they get something right.
Let's see when 2018 rolls around, whether we get a more pleasant family friendly or friendly schedule most of the time.
Bear in mind whilst Thursday nights and Fri 6pm will still be in situ, it's the NRL positioning of the clubs involved in those matches in those slots, that will decide the issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
wtf you on about? there is nothing negative in my commentary on this. The NRL has not stated it will control scheduling in 2018, the media has. It wasn't till it was raised here that I looked back through the tv announcements that it came to light that at no time, that I can find, has the NRL claimed control of scheduling is part of the 2018> deal, the media has claimed this on numerous occasions and it seems it has become the accepted position. I myself thought that it was the case. It may be right but there is no NRL confirmation it is right which is strange don't you think?

taipan

Referee
wtf you on about? there is nothing negative in my commentary on this. The NRL has not stated it will control scheduling in 2018, the media has. It wasn't till it was raised here that I looked back through the tv announcements that it came to light that at no time, that I can find, has the NRL claimed control of scheduling is part of the 2018> deal, the media has claimed this on numerous occasions and it seems it has become the accepted position. I myself thought that it was the case. It may be right but there is no NRL confirmation it is right which is strange don't you think?

The tweets shown above beg to differ.They are not media tweets.If that's not clear enough in its "speak",then I'm a Taliban drug tester.

taipan

Referee
Ok managed to find one Grant quote in telegraph in 2015 so presuming he and they can be trusted then it would seem to be the case. Very strange it wasn't announced at time of signing deal though?

“When we get into 2018 when we have control over the draw, we will have clear air to make all those decisions.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/ce703f56a2de37c3368af014ddd8a7df

And.................................................??????

I shakes me head and worry where the world is heading.I'm glad you don;'t have the finger on the nuclear button.Any sneeze by a nation and you have them reduced to a ashes.
i know ,know Santa's a bitch.
The question is, can you be trusted?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I shakes me head and worry where the world is heading.I'm glad you don;'t have the finger on the nuclear button.Any sneeze by a nation and you have them reduced to a ashes.

You're losing it lol. I have no idea what any of this means!

It took a lot of digging to find a quote from an nrl official on schedule control. If they'd included it when they announced the deal it would have been clearer!

El Diablo

Post Whore

poor old Santa would have copped it every year from PR

he probably stopped coming to him when he was three

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You're losing it lol. I have no idea what any of this means!

It took a lot of digging to find a quote from an nrl official on schedule control. If they'd included it when they announced the deal it would have been clearer!
You are, without qualification, the biggest bullshit artist on this forum.

I googled "nrl control draw 2018" and came across this Mumbrella article about 6th in the list:
https://mumbrella.com.au/nines-reco...l-rights-negotiations-say-media-buyers-311077

Smith emphasised that the NRL was regaining control of the sports’ schedule and which matches would be played where, with the revised rights deal meaning the game would be played over 25 weeks instead of 26, a move which he said would benefit players.

“The condensed season has obviously been a big consideration from a player welfare perspective,” he said. “The other significant benefit is that the NRL will regain control of the draw and schedule and will decide in the best interests of the fans and the clubs how that schedule plays out.

That's not to mention the direct quote in the NRL.com article in August 2015 when it was first announced:
http://www.nrl.com/new-free-to-air-television-agreement/tabid/10874/newsid/88790/default.aspx

Mr Smith said that, as part of the agreement, the NRL would regain control of the season schedule – and deliver a better deal for the fans.

“We will be able to schedule the best games when fans want to see them – and ensure all clubs receive the coverage they deserve on free to air television,” he said.

My advice is for you to f**k off, and when you've done that, f**k off some more. Clown.