What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

taipan

Referee
I was told the announcement was just a Beatup.
OK I'll get my coat, and wander aimlessly around Hyde Park.

This guy will be judged just as Grant,Pearce et al are judged, on their results and performances on the board.
When they leave ,we can sit back and rip and tear.

I don't need Nick Politis or Ray Dib telling me who should or shouldn't be running the show, when they have obvious self interests at stake.
You could throw in Nelson Mandella in the mix, and you'd get someone complaining he's a revolutionary.

Everyone (NRL clubs)wants independent commissioners ,the next minute they want to be able to nominate one favourable to their issues.Sheesh.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Furthermore PR as you throw up 2017 ladder ,compared to 2005 with the teams involved,I'm talking Sydney popular teams .

Eels 1
Dragons 2
Tigers 4
Dogs 12
Souths 13

Eels 7th
Dragons 8th both just scraping in to the 8 and being inconsistent with form
Dogs 13th
Souths 14th
Tigers 15th

If you can't see a massive deterioration in positions on the ladder and form for the Sydney clubs with the biggest fan bases, then sorry, I am not an Optometrist so I can't help you.
Where is the biggest drop off in crowds and TV ratings ..........fill in the city blanks.As someone stated it's not the NRL with crowd issues it's the Sydney teams.

Those results are one of many reasons for the crowd situations well as the others.
Maybe we should have a centralised
old fashioned Perth NIB stadium at Breakfast Creek and the NRL crowds would flock there in their 10s of thousands.

It may come as a surprise to you but the nrl is more than justbsydney teams and there are teams in the top 8 this year and in 2005 outperforming crowds at Sydney teams! You made the assertion the key difference between 2005 and 2017 was the teams that made up the eight. Fact is they are the same teams barring one. Then you backtracked and started to bring in busy roads lol. Facts are that we had 4 good years of crowds over 16k and since the independent commission took over we have had 5 years of crowds under 16k and dropping. Comparing 2005 to 17 youncan see the drop off in crowds for most teams both in the 8 and below it, must be them busy roads around the country?

taipan

Referee
It may come as a surprise to you but the nrl is more than justbsydney teams and there are teams in the top 8 this year and in 2005 outperforming crowds at Sydney teams! You made the assertion the key difference between 2005 and 2017 was the teams that made up the eight. Fact is they are the same teams barring one. Then you backtracked and started to bring in busy roads lol. Facts are that we had 4 good years of crowds over 16k and since the independent commission took over we have had 5 years of crowds under 16k and dropping. Comparing 2005 to 17 youncan see the drop off in crowds for most teams both in the 8 and below it, must be them busy roads around the country?

Another typical deflection.The reason crowds are down in the main is due to Sydney,whether Sydney is the centre of the Universe.,or the a*se end of the world, there are 9 clubs here ,5 of which when doing well have a decent supporter base.
I know it's hard for you to grasp,but them's the facts.
And once again you continually ignore the Sydney situation re infrastructure,roads economy.But you're an economist from the west apparently.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So is it the clubs in the eight, or the roads? Because 7 of the 8 clubs in the eight this year are the same as 2005!
Maybe nrl at end of year when they make their excuses for the failed strategic plan can come to you for some advice lol. We didnt make crowds or memberships as sydneys roads are busier, we didn't make the $200mill in reserves due to Sydneys high house prices, got any more for them?

I do agree with you though, it is a shame we have clubs like the sharks in the top 8 when they add nothing to the crowd avg. if only they could be replaced by Souths or Wests or dogs, you know the clubs with a decent fanbase.

Vee

First Grade
When i told my dad that Beattie was one the commission he groans and seemed to really hate the idea. No idea how much of a merkin of a politician he was but at least he knows the game unlike that Dave Smith wanker and is passionate about the game.
Not sure, might be right but I never heard him do anything more parochial than you'd expect from a politician seeking to curry favour with sports stars for th political gain.

taipan

Referee
So is it the clubs in the eight, or the roads? Because 7 of the 8 clubs in the eight this year are the same as 2005!
Maybe nrl at end of year when they make their excuses for the failed strategic plan can come to you for some advice lol. We didnt make crowds or memberships as sydneys roads are busier, we didn't make the $200mill in reserves due to Sydneys high house prices, got any more for them?

I do agree with you though, it is a shame we have clubs like the sharks in the top 8 when they add nothing to the crowd avg. if only they could be replaced by Souths or Wests or dogs, you know the clubs with a decent fanbase.

One two three ,for the kiddies' listening" in.
Clubs fan base,infrastrucure,road congestion, position on ladder, economy,.You pick your eyes at whichever one you fancy.

Yes it is indeed a shame the Sharks are performing so well.It must keep you awake at night being your worst nightmare.And the 20,000 crowd that attended the Sharks v Dogs game recently.all cheer your incisive thoughts.All this with a motley old stadium.

BTW how is your team performing in the NRL ,they certainly have kept a rather low profile of late.
Would non existence have something to do with it? Or then whining machine running on solar energy?

El Diablo

Post Whore

when you did your like for like comparison did you even bother to look where games were played?

Parra's are at different grounds this year compared to 2005

Perth Red

Post Whore
One two three ,for the kiddies' listening" in.
Clubs fan base,infrastrucure,road congestion, position on ladder, economy,.You pick your eyes at whichever one you fancy.

Yes it is indeed a shame the Sharks are performing so well.It must keep you awake at night being your worst nightmare.And the 20,000 crowd that attended the Sharks v Dogs game recently.all cheer your incisive thoughts.All this with a motley old stadium.

BTW how is your team performing in the NRL ,they certainly have kept a rather low profile of late.
Would non existence have something to do with it? Or then whining machine running on solar energy?

ohnlook it's the old "how's Perth going?" Jibe. The last refuge of a fallen man.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Another typical deflection.The reason crowds are down in the main is due to Sydney,whether Sydney is the centre of the Universe.,or the a*se end of the world, there are 9 clubs here ,5 of which when doing well have a decent supporter base.
I know it's hard for you to grasp,but them's the facts.
And once again you continually ignore the Sydney situation re infrastructure,roads economy.But you're an economist from the west apparently.

5 yes you have just hit the nail on the head with that magic number 5 and thats how many teams should be in Sydney and lets demote the other's to the NSW Cup like Newtown.
BTW I need to check out my own backyard and what does the future hold for Rugby League in Brexit Britain.

taipan

Referee
5 yes you have just hit the nail on the head with that magic number 5 and thats how many teams should be in Sydney and lets demote the other's to the NSW Cup like Newtown.
BTW I need to check out my own backyard and what does the future hold for Rugby League in Brexit Britain.

Yes mate and the AFL will say thank you very much, we got ourselves another battalion of disaffected rl fans, just like 1997 all over again.Rugby league is so generous with supporting fumble ball.

At least the ESL are going overseas to bring in new fans in addition to their current lot.Normally i would bag the ESL but not on this occasion.

taipan

Referee
Why? Because the ARLC can't stand scrutiny and accountability?

Nothing to do with that, the annual accounts provided by the NRL can be easily analysed , scrutinised and held accountable.
I continually bag the scheduling ATM,the drop in participation rates.I have spelt out numerous times the factors involved in crowd drops, some out of the NRL's control.
My point was perpetual whiners should be acknowledged last, if they have nothing concrete to offer.I'll just leave it at that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just out for a coffee and reading the sports pages, it seems Australian sport across the board is managed by idiots!

Cricket - major player fall out over salaries
FFA - major spat with clubs and FIFA threatening to disband them
ARU - in court with one of their own clubs as they try to kill one off as they are skint and have no quality players

Seems it's not just RL blighted by buffoons!

Vee

First Grade
Just out for a coffee and reading the sports pages, it seems Australian sport across the board is managed by idiots!

Cricket - major player fall out over salaries
FFA - major spat with clubs and FIFA threatening to disband them
ARU - in court with one of their own clubs as they try to kill one off as they are skint and have no quality players

Seems it's not just RL blighted by buffoons!
And the AFL sails majestically on...

taipan

Referee
And the AFL sails majestically on...

The Brisbane Lions money losing hand over foot ATM.And the Suns are struggling despite the millions spent backing them,The Gnats despite the top of the ladder and huge monies outlaid can't get a quorum for Tv in Sydney.The Swans still can't crack it here on TV. after 36 yearsThis with also control over the scheduling.
So if that's majestic so be it.They were gifted a dream run,95 -2000
Whilst it is no doubt doing ATM better than the NRL no doubt financially ,it's still got its share of financial issues with some clubs.