What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

_Johnsy

Referee
Australian Rugby League captain & RLPA board member wearing a jacket emblazoned with AusKick logo

e0cf6270bba9f9a0d263e0b072c2a86a
I'd hazard a guess that the influence of Mal "The games given me nothing" Meninga has finally taken a toll.

insert.pause

First Grade
If the RLPA become "genuine partners" with the game, will he still declare publicly that he watches more AFL than NRL and umpire junior AFL in Auskick uniform?

Pedge1971

First Grade
The RLPAs rep in the negotiations with the nrl has made this mandatory for all players.

Does this make afl ambassador Buzz Rothfield a partner to the game?

POPEYE

Coach
If the RLPA become "genuine partners" with the game, will he still declare publicly that he watches more AFL than NRL and umpire junior AFL in Auskick uniform?
I'm not happy Smith f**king around with AFL is letting it interfere with the way he plays RL, or that it clearly has a detrimental affect on his relationship with fellow players . . . game in crises

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
So much salt from people towards a player who has done so much for the game for 15 years.

If anything this is a positive for RL in that he is such a figurehead being shown on a rival code's broadcast. I would bet that it gets some of those viewers at least somewhat interested in the progress of the Melbourne Storm and watching more of their games live or on television when they are on. I would have no doubt you flogs would get uppity if it were a top Sydney AFL player being shown on a RL broadcast in the same situation.

MKCS

Juniors
I support New South Wales and the Sydney Roosters, apart from a few games a year where he dons the green and gold I have no love for Mr. Smith as he's carved up both my state and club countless times.

Regardless, Smith by the end of the year will break most appearances in the NRL, he's the most capped Origin player of all time and if he remains injury free will play a further six games for Australia this year taking him to just three away from Lockyer. You'd have to assume Smith will play until at least 2019 and by that stage he may very well reach 400 NRL games and be the most capped international and Origin player of all time.

Then you look at his personal accomplishments, Hooker Of The Year (6 times), Wally Lewis Medal (3 times), Grand Final winner, World Club, World Cup, State Of Origin (Countless times). In terms of accomplishments, he will one day be the greatest player of all time.

In terms of talent, it depends. I'm only a youngish guy and have only been following the game since 2000 so I'd say Cameron Smith is the greatest hooker I've ever seen by far. Is he better than Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Johns, Lockyer, Fittler and all the other great players? I'm not so sure.

In terms of talent I will say Newcastle Knights back in the day would completely go to shit when Johns wasn't around whilst Melbourne can generally do pretty well without Smith.

Bloke

Juniors
He played 2 games and they finished 2 points outside the 8...
Playing in a team that featured such future immortals as Junior Langi, Shane Walker, Henry Perenara, Ian Sibbit, Mitchell Sargent and Willie Leyshon. Genuine plod right there. Hardly a great team.

POPEYE

Coach
A lot of people will claim the great players surrounding Smith during his career are of his making more than Bellamy's. Imo Bellamy started the Smith ball rolling and as Cam got better so did Craig's job get easier . . . only a fool would imagine Smith a beneficiary rather than a catalyst

moffla

Bench
The fact that people are having a go at him for being a supportive father and enjoying time away fromt the game just goes to show that arguments against him are running thin.

The cameraman panned the ground, found Smith on the 'G and commentators banged on about how good he is. How's that bad for the game? Some people, including myself, don't share the "NRL vs AFL' mentality and believe that the two can coexist.

As for him as a player, the blokes the best I've ever seen. I've got purple sunnies on so my opinion might not be as validated, but I can't imagine a more complete player

Can't stand the bloke, at all. As a player or a person. Spent the best part of 10 years putting arm and leg locks onto opposing players. Was the chief exponent of "The wrestle" which got me as close to flicking the sport as I've ever been. Gives the impression that he doesn't give a shit about the sport.

The only player I've ever wished a career-ending injury on.

Will never, ever be an immortal in my eyes, let alone the best player ever. I will go to my grave never having applauded that prick even once.

Anyone that thinks that Smith knew nothing about the systematic rorting of the cap at Melbourne needs intense psychiatric help.

But the absolute worst thing about him is that he, and his cohorts made me cheer for Manly in Grand Finals, twice.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I support New South Wales and the Sydney Roosters, apart from a few games a year where he dons the green and gold I have no love for Mr. Smith as he's carved up both my state and club countless times.

Regardless, Smith by the end of the year will break most appearances in the NRL, he's the most capped Origin player of all time and if he remains injury free will play a further six games for Australia this year taking him to just three away from Lockyer. You'd have to assume Smith will play until at least 2019 and by that stage he may very well reach 400 NRL games and be the most capped international and Origin player of all time.

Then you look at his personal accomplishments, Hooker Of The Year (6 times), Wally Lewis Medal (3 times), Grand Final winner, World Club, World Cup, State Of Origin (Countless times). In terms of accomplishments, he will one day be the greatest player of all time.

In terms of talent, it depends. I'm only a youngish guy and have only been following the game since 2000 so I'd say Cameron Smith is the greatest hooker I've ever seen by far. Is he better than Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Johns, Lockyer, Fittler and all the other great players? I'm not so sure.

In terms of talent I will say Newcastle Knights back in the day would completely go to shit when Johns wasn't around whilst Melbourne can generally do pretty well without Smith.

Genuine shot and all time point scorer and don't see anyone coming even close to his career tackle count nether lone beat it anytime soon.

moffla

Bench
Can't stand the bloke, at all. As a player or a person. Spent the best part of 10 years putting arm and leg locks onto opposing players. Was the chief exponent of "The wrestle" which got me as close to flicking the sport as I've ever been. Gives the impression that he doesn't give a shit about the sport.

Will never, ever be an immortal in my eyes, let alone the best player ever. I will go to my grave never having applauded that prick even once.

Anyone that thinks that Smith knew nothing about the systematic rorting of the cap at Melbourne needs intense psychiatric help.

But the absolute worst thing about him is that he, and his cohorts made me cheer for Manly in Grand Finals, twice.

Point to where he touched you
doll.jpg

POPEYE

Coach

Be interesting to see what types will 'like' this post from a 24 carat wanker like you . . . doubt there will be any surpises

Hutty1986

Immortal

One of the most spot-on posts in LU history. Agree 100%..though maybe not the career-ending injury bit. A grubby, media darling farkwit.

Latest posts