What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 2017

Life's Good

Coach
Would this had stopped Massa's incident with debris?
It may have but: a)it could have snuck through the opening and still hit his helmet b)it could have shattered the Halo leading to it being a hazard by falling into the cockpit.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Does Liberty have any say in this or is it all down to the FIA?
FIA, as they sanction the championship(owner of the rules). Liberty is just the commercial rights owner. If Bernie still held any influence(he is now just a figurehead)it would still be in discussion stages because he was a racer at heart. Liberty(being a listed US company)would be risk averse and worried about wrongful death or injury suits down the track so wouldn't put up much resistance to Halo, I imagine.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem I have here is that these devices don't fix anything. If, like in the Massa incident, debris hits the Halo, its just going to ricochet it elsewhere, possibly upwards into the crowd, or into another vehicle.

The only safe option is continue with the tremendous steps they took bringing in the VSC, while waiting for debris to be cleared off the track.

That halo looks like it will only serve to impede a drivers view and that is not a safety improvement in any way.

Life's Good

Coach
Massa out of Hungarian GP qualifying with a middle ear problem. Paul DiResta drafted in at the last minute for qualifying. For those unaware DiResta is the Williams reserve driver, ex Force India driver & now analyst for Sky F1 coverage(also currently races in the German DTM series-has won it before). He has not driven this new generation of cars so is massively up against it. Will be hilarious if he is faster than Stroll.

Parra

Referee
Not bad for a guy with zero practice. Literally had not driven this car, or any 2017 f1 car, prior to going straight into qualifying.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Massa out of Hungarian GP qualifying with a middle ear problem. Paul DiResta drafted in at the last minute for qualifying. For those unaware DiResta is the Williams reserve driver, ex Force India driver & now analyst for Sky F1 coverage(also currently races in the German DTM series-has won it before). He has not driven this new generation of cars so is massively up against it. Will be hilarious if he is faster than Stroll.
He was only about half a second behind Stroll.

Makes you wonder why Williams recalled Massa given di Resta is that good with no practice.

Life's Good

Coach
He was only about half a second behind Stroll.

Makes you wonder why Williams recalled Massa given di Resta is that good with no practice.
A very good point. Massa is unsigned for next year, Mercedes are leaving the DTM so DiResta might get a start for 2018 especially with Martini stipulating at least one driver over 25yrs due to the alcohol sponsorship. DiResta was impressive.

Very good drives yesterday by both Raikkonen and Vettel, especially with Vettel reporting steering problems early in the race. In fact Vettel was advised to avoid the shoulders which should have played to the Mercedes hands late in the race, but they could never quite seem to catch either Ferrari.

Great drive from Verstappen in the Red Bull. Dumb stuff though when he hit Riccardo putting him out of the race, but had he not done that, it would have made for a very interesting race at the end as Verstappen was lapping very well at the death.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the silver arrows would've stayed ahead of the Red Bulls.

I reckon Vettel almost shot his load when he heard Max took out Ricciardo and then copped a 10sec penalty.

Vettel barely pushed hard all race.

Of all the races for Max to f**k up, this was not the one as Red Bull were a huge chance of getting both drivers on the podium. I wouldn't be surprised if Max's actions haven't pissed off a lot of people at Red Bull other than just Ricciardo.

Nothing will come of it obviously. But a stiff kick in the arse wouldn't hurt.

Parra

Referee
I don't trust the language used when Horner discusses the RB drivers. It feels like Vettel & Webber all over again.

Max should get his arse kicked. Vettel should have has his kicked after multi 2-1

Life's Good

Coach
I don't trust the language used when Horner discusses the RB drivers. It feels like Vettel & Webber all over again.

Max should get his arse kicked. Vettel should have has his kicked after multi 2-1
It has that smell about it. If anything, Horner/Marko look like the fools because Ric continues to deliver the goods.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has that smell about it. If anything, Horner/Marko look like the fools because Ric continues to deliver the goods.
Therein lies the difference. Also, every other team can see how good Ricciardo is.

Next year will be the telling one as it's the last of Danny's at Red Bull in his current contract.

Ferrari are expected to move on Raikkonen and hand his seat to Ricciardo.

Latest posts