What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Moses

Basil Brush

Juniors
I said to a few people that he may be the key to us being a top 4 team this year and will be massive for us going forward.

So far so good.

Disclaimer: I was even more confident about Foran so we are not out of the clear yet

Disclaimer 2: I even thought Sandow was a great signing.

Disclaimer 3: I honestly thought Adam Dykes was the difference between 2001 disappointment and 2002 premiership. So wrong.

parra pete

Referee
Glad someone saw his potential and lured him to the Eels..They saw something that I didn't.
His defence has improved 100% and his kicking game, speed, vision wow..
Very very professional player..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I said to a few people that he may be the key to us being a top 4 team this year and will be massive for us going forward.

So far so good.

Disclaimer: I was even more confident about Foran so we are not out of the clear yet

Disclaimer 3: I honestly thought Adam Dykes was the difference between 2001 disappointment and 2002 premiership. So wrong.
Me too on all points

T.S Quint

Coach

So far so good.

I never liked the Sandow signing.
Loved the Foran signing. Still do. He was a brilliant signing. Not our fault he had to leave (well, it kind of was).
Dykes signing I wasn't sure about. I thought he was a bit overrated at the Sharks, but I was just a dumb 21 year old then.

Love the Moses signing though.

He'll probably turn out to be a useless merkin. Most of them do. But if he gets us just one title he's alright by me. This year please.

Eelpout

Juniors
I like him, but he has a Tim Smith feel about him to me.

Hopefully we don't play the Cowboys in a preliminary final then. I remember clear as day being down by maybe four tries and after 40 regular season try assists he tried a banana kick hot on the attack. It went dead on the full straight in front of him. That game still haunts me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Loved the Foran signing. Still do. He was a brilliant signing. Not our fault he had to leave (well, it kind of was).
Dykes signing I wasn't sure about. I thought he was a bit overrated at the Sharks, but I was just a dumb 21 year old then.

The Dykes signing was f**ked by the ruck change after 2001. He was Dally M Left Half in 2001 in a year dominated by broken play. The players who thrived in that style, including Dykes, Brad Drew and most of our pack, weren't anywhere near as effective after the ruck rules were slowed right down.

To be honest I thought rugby league was a better spectacle in the period between 2002 and about 2006 when the Storm perfected wrestling.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I like him, but he has a Tim Smith feel about him to me.
When's the last time you ever heard of a Maronite with a mental illness? Their biggest issue is usually that they're mummy's boys, and that never stopped anyone playing good footy.

T.S Quint

Coach
Hopefully we don't play the Cowboys in a preliminary final then. I remember clear as day being down by maybe four tries and after 40 regular season try assists he tried a banana kick hot on the attack. It went dead on the full straight in front of him. That game still haunts me.

Poor kid was only 20 years old and in his first year of FG. Not surprised he shit the bed.
The teammates around him on the other hand...

T-Boon

Coach

God yeah. I was there. Ferk.
And Wagon bolting out of the line.

T-Boon

Coach
he tried a banana kick hot on the attack. It went dead on the full straight in front of him. That game still haunts me.

those banana kicks worked for him a lot that season. He was kicking to the winger from inside our own 30 at times. I just can't even imagine a player with Smiths passing skills and balls in todays game.

Basil Brush

Juniors

To be fair, i love every signing.

Watmough looked like a great signing. I still think Beau Scott was a great signing.

Tahu and Glenn Morrison were great signings.

Justin Poore????

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What were the changes?
It's complicated and happened a while ago, but if I remember correctly, the ten metres was judged from where the ball was picked up by the dummy half (instead of where the tackled player played the ball). This brought the defensive line closer, which led to a rapid change in defensive tactics that allowed teams to compress and get numbers into the tackle. It was very hard to get the ball around this sort of defence. There was also a change where teams could start moving up sooner than they previously had. This might've been related to the bloke playing the ball rather than the dummy half or maybe I'm misremembering.

The important point is that the NRL changed a rule definition rather than a rule, in response to the up-and-dump touch footy style tactics that Brian Smith perfected in 2001. This is why we have the record for points scored in a season. This change had a huge effect on the way teams defended (up-and-in replaced the slide defence), and thus on the way they attacked. This seemed to make significant changes to how valuable some players were, and many of ours went from stars to mere first graders. Huge forwards suddenly became more valuable again.

The surrender tackle had a big effect too but I think it was brought in a few years later.