What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

Vee

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/c8f4c9d4109fdfc1a82bea5870df5e35

The debate around how the NRL should handle the Immortals concept going forward is raging, and league legend Billy Moore has a radical idea to give it an immediate boost.

With just eight Immortals currently on the list, Moore wants the NRL to include the remaining nine players in the team of the century straight away.

“I don’t think we’re cheapening the concept because these guys got named as one of the greatest players of the last 100 years,” Moore told NRL 360.

“Everyone one of these guys that aren’t already there, their records are amazing.

“Norm Provan, Ron Coote, what about Ken Irvine? ... how can you not have those guys on mass go in?”

The NRL has taken control of the Immortals concept from League Week.

NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent wants the governing body to change the criteria, and base it more closely on the AFL’s own version.

“My personal choice is we follow the model of the AFL who have their own Hall of Fame, and every year they have players inducted into the Hall of Fame in a big ceremony,” Kent said.

“They liked the Immortals concept so much they wanted to copy that, they didn’t call them Immortals they called them Legends.

“So within their Hall of Fame they have a Legends room which is that Immortal status, and only 10 per cent of the Hall of Fame are ever allowed to be Immortals.

“I think most recently they got to 111 or 112 in the Hall of Fame, so you’re only allowed 11 Legends in the Hall of Fame.

“I think that’s a great concept.”

I like the AFL 10% model espoused by PK but the main thing is the ARLC has got to get serious about supporting, promoting and celebrating our history. Start by setting some criteria, something like 1-2 players each year pre- and post- WWII go into the Hall of Fame and every so often, 1 more is added to the Immortals.

hrundi99

First Grade
The hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto is sensational. It's be awesome to see something similar for RL in Sydney.

ACTPanthers

Bench
did that "journalist" really write "on mass" ? Did he mean their combined weight?

didn't read past that

How do Editors not pick up on this stuff? Surely they'd notice this on the first proof read. It's as if they're just using MS Word spell checker and that's it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
did that "journalist" really write "on mass" ? Did he mean their combined weight?

didn't read past that

Well when you physically weigh those older players today in their 70s 80s or skeletal remains against modern era players, they typically are lighter, so on a see-saw measurement device, they inevitably come out on top.

simmo1

First Grade
Then there should also be a third hall of fame within the immortals for the best of the best of the best. HOFception.