What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

kdalymc

Bench
so today they ARU have booted the Western Force from Super Rugby, is this a chance for rugby league to take hold of W.A. and actually expand?

King hit

Coach
This is the perfect opportunity for the Perth bid to take off and for Rugby League to establish a foothold in Western Australia. Even though the AFL is the main game in Perth there are plenty of people there who enjoy both codes of Rugby and they will be crying out for some Rugby now.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
For the NRL, frankly it's now or never. A huge Rugby vacuum is about to open on the West Coast, and Rugby League is perfectly positioned to fill it all. They will have nib stadium all to themselves. They'll have advertising and sponsorship all to themselves. They'll have talent pools all to themselves. It's like tripping over a gold seam and there's a pickaxe that just happens to be lying there.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
For the NRL, frankly it's now or never. A huge Rugby vacuum is about to open on the West Coast, and Rugby League is perfectly positioned to fill it all. They will have nib stadium all to themselves. They'll have advertising and sponsorship all to themselves. They'll have talent pools all to themselves. It's like tripping over a gold seam and there's a pickaxe that just happens to be lying there.

A bit like a city the size of Brisbane with its scope for a second team.

You know, because its "the rugby league capital of the world" with only one team.

Wayne and Co should be all for whats best for the game.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
You all know it will not happen. These stupid idiots in charge at nrl hq will make a total clusterf**k of it if they attempt it. They cannot even do basic shit like establish a salary cap for their current comp, let alone fund a multi million $$ expansion. If it does happen i cant see it going ahead until the current tv deal expires.

JamesRustle

First Grade
If it's such a huge vacuum then why was force cut.

Force had, as you put it, all the sponsors, advert and talent pool... and they're done. Tiny market... doesn't stack up financially. No big crowds either, no huge fan base protesting in the streets.

Perth is just another gold coast... aids for pro sport.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

Force had, as you put it, all the sponsors, advert and talent pool... and they're done. Tiny market... doesn't stack up financially. No big crowds either, no huge fan base protesting in the streets.

That's because the ARU are operated by even bigger amateurs than the NRL, if that's even possible. The code is dying in Australia off the back of the Wallabies fall from grace and the dominance of the All Blacks.

The NRL games that get taken to Perth always draw a good crowd, and that's turning up to games played by the likes of Souffs and Brisbane. Unify them all behind one brand, siphon off the Union followers who would rather piss glass than follow AFL and you have the makings of a pretty decent foundation

Because the ARU & super rugby are stuffed financially.

Perth is nowhere near as bad for pro sports as the Gold Coast, that's just silly.

The Reds failed because of super league, the force cut because of sanzar.

Most Gold Coast teams have failed independently.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Best case scenario for the NRL. Cutting the Rebels would've done nothing for us (the Storm already have their fan base) and the Raiders actually need the Brumbies in town to justify stadium investment. Now the WA market has a hole in it and a whole stack of pissed pff fans who may be tempted to jump ship.

JamesRustle

First Grade
That's because the ARU are operated by even bigger amateurs than the NRL, if that's even possible. The code is dying in Australia off the back of the Wallabies fall from grace and the dominance of the All Blacks.

The NRL games that get taken to Perth always draw a good crowd, and that's turning up to games played by the likes of Souffs and Brisbane. Unify them all behind one brand, siphon off the Union followers who would rather piss glass than follow AFL and you have the makings of a pretty decent foundation
I wouldn't follow RU if my team got cut.. I don't think it's a lay down missaire in this scenario either.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I wouldn't follow RU if my team got cut.. I don't think it's a lay down missaire in this scenario either.
They won't all follow it, no. The saffer expats won't for a start. But even if we got 1/4 of that fan base to convert its a nice boost.

Latest posts