What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

axl rose

Bench
second club in Brisbane and we had that in 1995 but the SL off course came along and I imagine everyone in Brisbane took the Broncos side and thumbed their noses at the Crushers.

Didn't happen that way, half the city still hates the Broncos ( by their own admission) Unfortunately the Crushers could not field a competitive team and capitalize on it.

RoosTah

Juniors
Didn't happen that way, half the city still hates the Broncos ( by their own admission) Unfortunately the Crushers could not field a competitive team and capitalize on it.

Is the hate for the Broncos from the rest of the city a geographical thing, or more just some other identity issue? Curious, as it would surely effect how you brand the new side... like would you call them Brisbane city?

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
Is the hate for the Broncos from the rest of the city a geographical thing, or more just some other identity issue? Curious, as it would surely effect how you brand the new side... like would you call them Brisbane city?
I don't think it is, you'll find support and opposition pretty evenly distributed around Brisbane imo. I think that its based more on a combo of footy fans in Brisbane already being attached to a Sydney club and have moved to Brissy, or attached through family lines, and those fans pissed off that see Broncos as disrupting the old BRL. They will never support Broncos, and tbh I don't see why they will support a new team in Brisbane, particularly those attached to a club already. I personally think that an old BRL resurrection is the best way to go, namely the old Valleys. Most successful team in BRL history(and rugby league until Souths got their last premiership), great logo, iconic name in rugby league, historically central location but had support from all over Brissy in the day. May see those that lost an icon of the BRL get behind them as a true alternative in Brisbane to the broncos.

King hit

Coach
and those fans pissed off that see Broncos as disrupting the old BRL. They will never support Broncos, and tbh I don't see why they will support a new team in Brisbane, particularly those attached to a club already. I personally think that an old BRL resurrection is the best way to go, namely the old Valleys. Most successful team in BRL history(and rugby league until Souths got their last premiership), great logo, iconic name in rugby league, historically central location but had support from all over Brissy in the day. May see those that lost an icon of the BRL get behind them as a true alternative in Brisbane to the broncos.

I personally think that those people who are probably old timers set in their ways should just stfu about that stuff. The BRL wasn't going to survive as the Brisbane Clubs couldn't pay their players, Origin had raised the profiles of Queensland players like never before and with all the players that were leaving the Brisbane League in the 80's the Brisbane League would've died a slow painful death so admitting a Brisbane Club into the Sydney premiership was the only way to go and it has done wonders for the game in Queensland.

Some people can never move with the times

johnny plath

Juniors
I personally think that those people who are probably old timers set in their ways should just stfu about that stuff. The BRL wasn't going to survive as the Brisbane Clubs couldn't pay their players, Origin had raised the profiles of Queensland players like never before and with all the players that were leaving the Brisbane League in the 80's the Brisbane League would've died a slow painful death so admitting a Brisbane Club into the Sydney premiership was the only way to go and it has done wonders for the game in Queensland.

Some people can never move with the times
No argument about that from me, just saying what I think the Brisbane rugby league supporters are made up of. I agree, and think that history has been re-written to keep the anti-bronco flames bright. At the time leading up to broncos entry, the BRL was losing players to Sydney and Canberra regularly.. The formation of the Broncos was seen as a stepping stone for BRL players to play in the Sydney comp without having to leave Brisbane, and had a lot of support. As you mention, just a lot of old timers over stating the impact on the comp that Broncos had... at that time regular BRL match attendance was very poor, it really was only finals and the Grandfinal that drew bigger crowds, but that seems to be the image that sticks in the minds of fossils. I think what has evolved into the Q cup is a great comp... local support, professionally run clubs, and a genuine stepping stone to prepare playing in the NRL. Having said that, I do think the idea of resurrection for a second club has merit as opposed to trying to create an entity that is a counter to Broncos, rather than Bronco v2.

Probably off this topic, but how did other one town clubs affect local comps.... did Newcastle, Canberra, Townsville, Auckland local comps nose dive and create animosity from local diehard fossils... it never seems to get raised as an issue except Broncos killing the BRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Unless things turn around pretty quickly at some point in the next few years we could be way beyond recovering ground on afl. On 360 last night they were talking about combating afl, but only in our own backyard, let alone going on the front foot to challenge them in their heartlands, we seem light years away from having a commission and NRL management who are capable of that. We used to think it was about money but clearly it is a much deeper problem than that.

You make a good point here PR. I dislike Union with a passion but it actually shocks me how far they have fallen since 2003 and it is almost to the point where they may not recover. I fear league is heading down a similar path under this administration. At the moment I think the game is trading on it's history and tradition but when that currency runs out we won't have anything left.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It is more what they stand for. The Broncs are a corporation and they have proven it to their detractors over and over again. The original dislike came from BRL fans, then they famously took on Power Bitter as their major sponsor over XXXX (their choice of course but it left a bad taste in the mouths of locals), then they spear headed the SL war.

A second Brisbane team doesn't need to oppose the Broncs on geographical grounds, they need to oppose them on the ownership model - they need to be a traditional member owned club and they will go very well for support.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the Farce......

THE State Government has warned the Australian Rugby Union it will sue for more than $100 million in the wake of the Western Force debacle — a move that would bankrupt the cash-strapped governing body.

The escalation came as thousands of fans gathered at RugbyWA headquarters yesterday in a show of strength aimed east.

The Government has told the ARU it is investigating undertakings guaranteeing the future of the Force that underpinned investment in various areas, particularly redeveloping nib Stadium.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...m/news-story/2804dcfcf41a41b0ab2fa0a8530eb7b2

RoosTah

Juniors
Yeah I saw that in the news before. The ARU are well and truly f**ked.

I notice that Wests are taking a game to Perth in a couple weeks. What would Perth folk think of having a "West Coast tigers" relocation?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mark McGowan has conceded that taxpayers could be on the hook for substantial extra costs from managing nib Stadium courtesy of the Australian Rugby Union’s decision to axe the Western Force.

The Premier yesterday acknowledged the loss of the Force — a major tenant at nib — meant taxpayers would be exposed to a shortfall in revenue for running the upgraded facility.

Mr McGowan also admitted the State Government was facing an uphill battle in any legal case it brought against the ARU because the previous governments had failed to secure guarantees the Force would remain in Super Rugby.

Mr McGowan has threatened to sue the ARU for more than $100 million in a bid to recover money spent by the State on upgraded playing and training facilities and sponsorship for the Force

The Government poured $95 million into the redevelopment of the rectangular nib Stadium, along with $17 million into Rugby WA’s headquarters and $1.5 million a year through the Road Safety Commission.

The State has also committed to spending $5 million hosting a Wallabies-All Blacks Test at the new Perth stadium in 2019, though it has since baulked at bringing forward $4 million in funding for the ARU in exchange for keeping the Force.

According to Mr McGowan, the ARU had shown “great disrespect” to WA by axing the Force and not the Melbourne Rebels.

He confirmed he had asked the State Solicitor’s Office to investigate a case against the ARU and the Government would “use every tool at our disposal to get our money back”.

“If that means the ARU goes bankrupt, so be it,” he said.

“We’re investigating what can be done, what assurances were given. It would have been far better if there was a document which gave absolute certainty to the Western Force’s continuation in the competition.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/mcgowan-rues-force-axing-cost-ng-b88555079z

Perth Red

Post Whore
Twiggy threatening to go all superleague on the ARU lol.

Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest has warned the Western Force could join a breakaway international competition as thousands of fans rallied against a decision to axe the club from Super Rugby.
"[If] they want to run a process that is based on the lucky drawcard of where you happen to live, or where you happen to support your sport, then we will start our own international league from here."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ally-in-perth-after-super-rugby-axing/8824812

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The NRL should be in talks with
Twiggy threatening to go all superleague on the ARU lol.

Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest has warned the Western Force could join a breakaway international competition as thousands of fans rallied against a decision to axe the club from Super Rugby.
"[If] they want to run a process that is based on the lucky drawcard of where you happen to live, or where you happen to support your sport, then we will start our own international league from here."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ally-in-perth-after-super-rugby-axing/8824812

Bring on SuperLeague - Rugby Union version!!!

May it empty the already depleted coffers of the ARU, bury the game in Australia and cause disruption to the game internationally.

King hit

Coach
The NRL should be in talks with

Bring on SuperLeague - Rugby Union version!!!

May it empty the already depleted coffers of the ARU, bury the game in Australia and cause disruption to the game internationally.

It wouldn't cause major damage to International Rugby like it did to international Rugby League. International Rugby is much much bigger than League.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It wouldn't cause major damage to International Rugby like it did to international Rugby League. International Rugby is much much bigger than League.
Yes, I agree with you there but I can assure you if a nation consistently ranked in the top 3 throughout history folded, it would cause a significant amount of grief at World Rugby HQ

RoosTah

Juniors
Wa govt will be desperate to get more revenue from nib, time for nrl to be on the blower about bringing more games here?
They absolutely need to get into it. Souths have taken the plunge, but others and Wests in particular seriously ought to consider doing it as well given their name

King hit

Coach
Yes, I agree with you there but I can assure you if a nation consistently ranked in the top 3 throughout history folded, it would cause a significant amount of grief at World Rugby HQ

Rugby is a religion for people in New Zealand and South Africa who are usually one of the strongest teams. Even in countries whose national team isn't number 1 or top 3 as you say Rugby is massive there. I've been to Wales and it's a part of their life. Rugby teams rankings doesn't really compare with League rankings.

Golden point

Juniors
I like the idea of a perth team and now might be a good time....but it might also be a better time in a few years when the economy recovers a bit.
A lot of businesses going broke and people losing their homes.
The opportunity to capture the public and sponsors might be better when things improve....this might be why the ARU pulled the pin... it certainly has alot to do with the government trying to sue , being the rainy day that the previous government didn't prepare for.
Also worth noting that the government won't be helping with any cash what so ever for a new sporting team since they have just now been burned.
Few years won't hurt. It might actually be worth a pat on the back to the nrl for not jumping in too soon or it could have been a perth rugby league team that is currently folding....