What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York New York

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Re New York, this is awesome, have heard talk of it lets hope it comes off and as quickly as is possible while still doing it properly.
Re Fiji, Agree, cannot fathom why this has not been achieved yet, NRL crowds are trending down, time to look beyond self interest and expand the game even if only through the NSW cup!

Emu01

Juniors
Great news! If they follow the Toronto blueprint it will be a huge success.

This is exactly how the Toronto team started a few rumours and the a coach announced.. watch this space.I wish them all the luck.

Pommy

Coach
How many teams need to vote them in? There's a lot of teams complaining about Toronto and how the costs haven't been fully covered and as they are semi pro they haven't the staff to process visas etc. I wouldn't be shocked if a few more sides vote against it this time.

adamkungl

Immortal
How many teams need to vote them in? There's a lot of teams complaining about Toronto and how the costs haven't been fully covered and as they are semi pro they haven't the staff to process visas etc. I wouldn't be shocked if a few more sides vote against it this time.

You would hope that everyone involved - all 3 sides, if you will (the American club, the UK clubs, and the RFL itself), have learned and continue to learn from the first attempt and will improve in future.

Pommy

Coach
You would hope that everyone involved - all 3 sides, if you will (the American club, the UK clubs, and the RFL itself), have learned and continue to learn from the first attempt and will improve in future.

I do think any issues the teams in league 1 have need to be addressed.
It's no good saying this is for the long term good of the game if some of these clubs are struggeling to stay afloat and are only looking 6 months in to the future, you can't exactly blame them for looking out for themselves.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Surely there must be thought to being proactive and starting what is going to be a fully professional team in the championship. This way it speeds up the opportunity for that team to get into Super League, makes games more competitive and also is helpful because the issues of playing amateur teams is not there. There are good reasons to start in League 1 but i just think the idea of starting in the Championship should be considered.

latingringo101

Juniors
I think starting in League 1 is a no brainer. As long as the touring teams are compensated for travel then I don't see the problem.

It'll be interesting to see if the RFL stay with P and r or go back to liscencing, I'd hate to see a New York team smashed week in week out by sl clubs in their first season

Pommy

Coach
Surely there must be thought to being proactive and starting what is going to be a fully professional team in the championship. This way it speeds up the opportunity for that team to get into Super League, makes games more competitive and also is helpful because the issues of playing amateur teams is not there. There are good reasons to start in League 1 but i just think the idea of starting in the Championship should be considered.

I guess the issue arises then if league 1 sides say they will go fully pro if promoted to the championship, what's the real difference?
Why relegate full pro teams like Bradford if being pro is the baseline for the championship?

I don't really disagree with what you say but it creates grey areas.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Re New York, this is awesome, have heard talk of it lets hope it comes off and as quickly as is possible while still doing it properly.
Re Fiji, Agree, cannot fathom why this has not been achieved yet, NRL crowds are trending down, time to look beyond self interest and expand the game even if only through the NSW cup!

Why are they so focused on joining NSW Cup?

Clearly the Sydney sides have their heads up their own asses. Why not try to join the QLDCup instead?

Pommy

Coach
Why are they so focused on joining NSW Cup?

Clearly the Sydney sides have their heads up their own asses. Why not try to join the QLDCup instead?

Is there a decent Fijian population in QLD? Could be a possible reason for wanting a team in NSW.