What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to save the Titans

Last Week

Bench
Once again, I invite people to read the comments of actual Titans fans and actual people who live on the Gold Coast and stump up their money year in year out.

Petition: http://www.titansupporters.com/signatures-and-comments/

Pretty clear cut that the Titans fans/members will walk away if they're renamed the Bears.

I'm inclined to agree. The NRL must persist with the Titans on the Gold Coast. It will work with time. They just might need a leg up every now and then from the game. We did the same for the Sharks, Dragons, Tigers, Newcastle and Melbourne for an age, no reason why it shouldn't be done for the Gold Coast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, reading just some of them would show what a disaster another rebrand would be, let alone one to a historic NSW club. Reality is Titans, despite the dramas again this year, still had more fans turn up than a number of much stronger established Sydney brands, so they cant be that plastic can they?

taipan

Referee
I've been saying all along flick a club.relocate a club, or after a few years change the name /brand etc and fans sorry to say, are humanly fickle tell all and sundry to get knotted they got better things to do.
Once again one area loses another gains , result back to first base.
The Storm in a new area without involving relocation,have shown it works.Imagine another owner coming in and rebranding the Storm,you can;t treat fans like dumbos.

The Bears are Nth Sydney/CC.If they are to exist in any shape or form it has to entail these areas not for a couple of games but a season.

johnny plath

Juniors
Once again, I invite people to read the comments of actual Titans fans and actual people who live on the Gold Coast and stump up their money year in year out.

So over 10000 members but only 270 opposed to a bear ownership according to the petition... not sure if that is resounding opposition... could even be less if not everyone signing the petition is a club member. I'm not for or against the bears buying the titans, but I think every bid needs to be assessed on its merits. If the biggest fear is a relocation down the track maybe some fail safe guarantees need to be in place, but otherwise if its the best bid on offer whats the real problem. I know its AFl, but I don't think new local lions or swan fans give a shit that their clubs are historically from another town, they're just happy to have a club in their favorite code to support. No NRL club where I live... love the bears to set up if it means I get to see an NRL match every fortnight.

adamkungl

Immortal
And there in lies the problem. The bears are 0% committed to the Gold Coast. The fans and sponsors know this. Good luck selling it to an already disengaged region.

Do any of the potential buyers have a previous interest in Gold Cost Rugby League? Unless one of them is an existing QCup side I doubt it. Pretty weird point to be trying to make.

That's fine, but why not answer some legitimate questions?

What's makes a Sydney team going to a new market so different to going to an existing market?

I mean why would Perth anymore readily adopt a brand that's not local over the Gold Coast? Doesn't perh have sporting history and colours? Probably more so than the GC.

Pretty clear cut that the Titans fans/members will walk away if they're renamed the Bears.

I'm inclined to agree. The NRL must persist with the Titans on the Gold Coast. It will work with time. They just might need a leg up every now and then from the game. We did the same for the Sharks, Dragons, Tigers, Newcastle and Melbourne for an age, no reason why it shouldn't be done for the Gold Coast.

Clear? From some online comments?

I'd prefer to see an actual scientific survey than just the passionate few who are prepared to post online.

And the Gold Coast has had many more "leg ups" from the game since 1988, more than any other region.

DlEHARD

Juniors
That's fine, but why not answer some legitimate questions?

What's makes a Sydney team going to a new market so different to going to an existing market?

I mean why would Perth anymore readily adopt a brand that's not local over the Gold Coast? Doesn't perh have sporting history and colours? Probably more so than the GC.

Because Queensland has just as much rugby league history as NSW yet our competition, the BRL was overshadowed and left behind, raided and largely forgotten. Because QLD only has 3 clubs. Because two of our ARL/NRL clubs were killed off during the Super League war.

Queensland deserves to build its own rugby league traditions. And certainly not import one known for not winning a Premiership since 1922 and for the nickname the Bad News Bears. Queensland is grossly under represented in the game and constantly disrespected and neglected.

Because Queensland has just as much rugby league history as NSW yet our competition, the BRL was overshadowed and left behind, raided and largely forgotten. Because QLD only has 3 clubs. Because two of our ARL/NRL clubs were killed off during the Super League war.

Queensland deserves to build its own rugby league traditions. And certainly not import one known for not winning a Premiership since 1922 and for the nickname the Bad News Bears. Queensland is grossly under represented in the game and constantly disrespected and neglected.

So why didn't the Titans use some of that local history? And I would argue that the Bears name & colours does have local history.

Burleigh already have an affiliation with the titans & their club dates back to 1934. The bears name is unbiquitois, it's not Sydney centric at all. Classic sports name.

Also the seagulls, the first Gold Coast team in the NSWRL played with red, black & white colours.

To me there's plenty to link in.

You actually think the petition was directly emailed to every single member? Also look at it at a qualitative research exercise.

Nothing qualitative about an online petition.

To get accurate results it would need to done properly by a research firm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do any of the potential buyers have a previous interest in Gold Cost Rugby League? Unless one of them is an existing QCup side I doubt it. Pretty weird point to be trying to make.

Aren't the other potentials local businessmen? With no conflict of interest on where the team plays? I'll give it three seasons of mediocrity before the calls and media speculation for a move to Gosford begin. NRL can put in cast iron all they like but if the owners want to move a club because it is under performing the NRL need 16 teams for TV contract, good luck with that one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clear? From some online comments?

I'd prefer to see an actual scientific survey than just the passionate few who are prepared to post online.

And the Gold Coast has had many more "leg ups" from the game since 1988, more than any other region.
I think you'll find it extremely hard to find one single comment from a Titans fan that supports a Bears rebrand and takeover. Good luck!

Aren't the other potentials local businessmen? With no conflict of interest on where the team plays? I'll give it three seasons of mediocrity before the calls and media speculation for a move to Gosford begin. NRL can put in cast iron all they like but if the owners want to move a club because it is under performing the NRL need 16 teams for TV contract, good luck with that one.

And if after doing due diligence these businessmen come up short financially, do we still ignore the bears if they have a viable bid?

If you wanted to get an accurate picture as to how Titans members felt, this is what you'd do.

Survey 500 random Titans members.

Survey would contain many other question pertaining to the club, but these ones relevant to the sale.

Q. If the club was sold to the Bears consortium and changed its name to 'Gold Coast Bears' & colours to red, black & white, would you still support the club?

*if you answered no*

Q. If it was explained that the Bears consortium was the most viable sale option, would you support the new club?

*if you answered no*

Q. If it were explained that the Bears consortium is the only viable sale option, would you support the new club?

Something like that is the only way to get an accurate reflection on how the fans are thinking.

King hit

Coach

Queensland really did it to themselves killing of the BRL. The Broncos faced opposition throughout Brisbane but common sense prevailed as the BRL was going to die a slow death as almost every club couldn't afford to pay its players and many were following Mal and the gang down south. You might hate the fact but admitting Brisbane into the NSWRL was the right thing to do.

Queensland has plenty of Rugby League traditions and is well represented and most certainly isn't neglected. At the Broncos we are lucky to have probably the most luxurious existence out of all the clubs. And the bad news bears in aussie rules not Rugby League.