What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition to save the Titans

The Great Dane

First Grade
I honestly don't really have a dog in this fight, apart from some nostalgia that I feel at the prospect of seeing the Bears back I don't really care if the Bears take over (well the consortium that has been given the rights to use the Bears branding), or if another group that decides to keep the Titans branding gets the licence, or if a consortium that decided to re-brand them to something completely new or even picked up one of the other old GC clubs brands gained the licence, at the end of the day I'm not bothered so long as the club is in a stable financial position for the foreseeable future.

But frankly the petition quoted above provides a useless statistic, the only people who signed it are those who actively sort it out, it's a tiny sample of the population, and it doesn't really record the opinions of the greater public of the Gold Coast only Titans fans, and if the goal is to stabilise the Titans financially and within the community of the GC then the opinions of people who aren't currently Titans supporters but could be under the right circumstances are just as important as the Titans current fans.

Though I don't think that a brand change would be ideal neither do I think that a brand change would kill the GCRLFC over night if it's done with the proper community engagement, in fact I think it's a bit hysterical to suggest that it would.
I also think that it's disingenuous to suggest that it'd be "another" brand change as the Titans RLFC has never had a brand change, and the Giants/Seagull, the Gladiators, and the Chargers were all different clubs, suggesting that the Titans are a continuation of those old clubs simply untrue and the Titans new owners shouldn't be completely beholden to the history of the Titans themselves let alone the defunct GC clubs that came before them, unless they choose to be of course.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Nothing qualitative about an online petition.

To get accurate results it would need to done properly by a research firm.

You can quibble all you like about the quality of the sampling method, but it is by definition qualitative research and these are living and breathing Gold Coast rugby league fans. If they pull stumps, it'd be game over for any "GC Bears".

DlEHARD

Juniors
I also think that it's disingenuous to suggest that it'd be "another" brand change as the Titans RLFC has never had a brand change, and the Giants/Seagull, the Gladiators, and the Chargers were all different clubs, suggesting that the Titans are a continuation of those old clubs simply untrue and the Titans new owners shouldn't be completely beholden to the history of the Titans themselves let alone the defunct GC clubs that came before them, unless they choose to be of course.

Some were new clubs, some were change of brands. But perception is reality. Just how many people claim them all to be failed, when the Chargers were closed in a profit, the Gladiators existed for one pre-season competition, and the Giants change to Seagulls with new ownership.

Pretty concerning that you'd be so dismissive of the views of the fans who put money and time into the club, sign on the dotted line and become members, buy, wear gear and attend games and actually live in the region. They'd be the group that I would be most concerned with.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Queensland really did it to themselves killing of the BRL. The Broncos faced opposition throughout Brisbane but common sense prevailed as the BRL was going to die a slow death as almost every club couldn't afford to pay its players and many were following Mal and the gang down south. You might hate the fact but admitting Brisbane into the NSWRL was the right thing to do.

It's bad news that a city like Brisbane with over 2million, and Rugby League's second largest city, only has one team and one club game a fortnight.

The NRL was largely based off the old NSWRL, ideally it'd have been best to see historic clubs like Diehards and Brothers and Dolphins rise up. But that didn't happen and Super League and the lack of poker machines in the state until the early 1990s sealed their fate.

DlEHARD

Juniors
29.1.jpg

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
It's bad news that a city like Brisbane with over 2million, and Rugby League's second largest city, only has one team and one club game a fortnight.

The NRL was largely based off the old NSWRL, ideally it'd have been best to see historic clubs like Diehards and Brothers and Dolphins rise up. But that didn't happen and Super League and the lack of poker machines in the state until the early 1990s sealed their fate.

They had another team but they got killed of because of Super League and the Broncos want a monopoly on Brisbane.

DlEHARD

Juniors
They had another team but they got killed of because of Super League and the Broncos want a monopoly on Brisbane.

Yep and the Courier Mail was the only paper in town, which was owned by News Ltd, who also owned the Broncos.

King hit

Coach
But from what I know Redcliffe are still going strong in the ISC and the clubs in that competition are professionally run and the ISC is thriving. I think Brothers are bidding to be the second NRL club in Brisbane.

DlEHARD

Juniors
But from what I know Redcliffe are still going strong in the ISC and the clubs in that competition are professionally run and the ISC is thriving. I think Brothers are bidding to be the second NRL club in Brisbane.

Id love to see Brothers in Brisbane and surrounds, at least out of the bids that have been on the table. And when the time comes, I think the Dolphns will also be heavily in play. But south of Brisbane would have to heavily be favoured over north of Brisbane, strategically.

You can quibble all you like about the quality of the sampling method, but it is by definition qualitative research and these are living and breathing Gold Coast rugby league fans. If they pull stumps, it'd be game over for any "GC Bears".

There is no sampling method. It's not a quibble it's a fact.

The petition is set up for people that want to save the GC titans brand, and good on them for having the passion. But such a petition will attract little if any differing opinions.

It's one sided qualitative research as best.

The owner of the site doesn't even invite differing opinions, and for all we know he could delete any that are posted.

Genuine qualitative data would interview a random sample for their opinions.

Last edited:
So DIEHARD I admire your passion but I can't help but notice you haven't addressed the question of what if the bears are the only viable bidder?

Would you still walk away from the team?

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
As much as I would like to see the Titans brand continue under a viable ownership model, it is not specifically this issue that was the catalyst for me signing the petition. My issue is about the the North Sydney Bears owning the franchise for the following reasons:

1. The Burleigh Bears were my junior club and they, if anybody, own the brand 'bears' for rugby league on the Gold Coast. I would happily support them owning the NRL franchise in whatever guise they wish except as North Sydney, which is not in Queensland. On this point alone North Sydney can look elsewhere.

2. Sure, the NS Bears own Tweed Seagulls but they offer almost nothing to the Gold Coast Rugby League landscape and if it wasn't for their connection with the Titans franchise then in fact they would offer nothing.

3. For all those experts on Gold Coast Rugby League, the crowd figures, no matter how tweaked by the NRL, are still indicative of the strong heart-beat of GCRL in the community. The Goldie is a rugby league heartland, like it or lump it. For all those other much vaunted Qld rugby league strongholds few, if any, can boast the success of programs coming out of Keebra Park and PBC High Schools to name just a few junior nurseries.

4. As for the GC being a graveyard for sports teams, there can be little argument that implanting a tenuously connected 'business' into an established sporting landscape is a recipe for disaster, a well-managed community-related model, as some others on here have suggested, is most likely to work. The Knights may have finally got it right by engaging Wests and that may well be the answer for the Titans.

5. For those rubbishing the petition, voice your opinion by all means but taking potshots at passionate rugby league people for having their own beliefs is somewhat counter-productive on a rugby league forum, imho.

Finally, from almost day one the Titans were against it with the original shonky owners. The litany of players issues that emerged from very ordinary management didn't help and nor did taking a punt on the Hayne Pain. However, through all of that the GC community on attendances alone have a better case than others (including North Sydney) to have team but when you consider junior catchment then there really is no argument.

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, how much would the Broncos like to be undisturbed in their pillaging of the GC region? The region needs a team and Brisbane needs another for that matter.

DlEHARD

Juniors
There is no sampling method. It's not a quibble it's a fact.

The petition is set up for people that want to save the GC titans brand, and good on them for having the passion. But such a petition will attract little if any differing opinions.

It's one sided qualitative research as best.

The owner of the site doesn't even invite differing opinions, and for all we know he could delete any that are posted.

Genuine qualitative data would interview a random sample for their opinions.

That's because its a f**king petition not a survey but with the option to add comments.

DlEHARD

Juniors
So DIEHARD I admire your passion but I can't help but notice you haven't addressed the question of what if the bears are the only viable bidder?

Would you still walk away from the team?

Well they aren't there are at least two other bids.

And if the Bears are some how successful, let's face it dumb shit constantly happens in our sport, I would no longer support them or be a member. I have not forgotten their whiteanting of us and the Storm over the years. Their comments against the Gold Coast region pre-2005 in the bidding process. And their commitment to the Central Coast region and their role in the failed Northen Eagles joint venture.

Last edited:
Well they aren't there are at least other other bids.

And if the Bears are some how successful, let's face it dumb shit constantly happens in our sport, I would no longer support them or be a member. I have not forgotten their whiteanting of us and the Storm over the years. Their comments against the Gold Coast region pre-2005 in the bidding process. And their commitment to the Central Coast region and their role in the failed Northen Eagles joint venture.

I didn't say only bidder, I said only *viable* bidder.

If after doing due dilligence into the bidders, the bears are the only VIABLE bidder, would you still not support the new club?

Latest posts