What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

paulmac

Juniors
PNG matches have gone on sale today, hopefully we hear good news soon.
Bought my ticket for the opener v Wales,the website kept crashing,took me 2 hours to get my ticket.Guessing it couldn't handle the demand,which must be a good thing.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
So I have just bought 6 tickets for England v Lebanon on Sat Nov 4 at SFS in Sydney … PAX number 2830-2835.

So not great with 2 months to go …

(Again, not sure if that includes English fans on package tours with included tickets.)

Only about 42,000 more tickets to go for a sellout !

Burns

First Grade
So I have just bought 6 tickets for England v Lebanon on Sat Nov 4 at SFS in Sydney … PAX number 2830-2835.

(Again, not sure if that includes English fans on package tours with included tickets.)

15,000 will be an achievement.

GoLeagueGo

Juniors

Do you honestly think there will be close to 10,000 people to watch a game between England and Lebanon a 4th string Australian side?
Why waste your money with that crap?

Jim from Oz

Juniors
15,000 will be an achievement.

Getting anywhere near the tournament target of 450,000 will also be an achievement.

I sure do hope there will be a marketing blitz post the NRL GF …

As an aside, I can't help thinking having the RLWC on Ch7 and NOT on NRL broadcasters Ch9 and FoxSports is a major negative.

This is not to criticise Ch7 … they've been great … but if it had been on Ch9 and FoxSports, both these channels would have been mentioning/promoting/talking up RLWC 2017 all season during its NRL broadcasts.

Instead, Ch9 and FoxSports have all but ignored RLWC 2017, meaning NRL watchers have little idea of the tournament, its games etc etc.

Add to this only 2 games in the whole of NSW, and it doesn't bode well.

I hope I'm proved wrong though !!!

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Do you honestly think there will be close to 10,000 people to watch a game between England and Lebanon a 4th string Australian side?
Why waste your money with that crap?

Thanks for that question.

Here's my answer:

1/ Because I'm trying to support international RL.

2/ Two of my oldest mates have Lebanese heritage, and we're going to make a night of it/have a big Lebanese meal beforehand/enjoy a fun evening.

GoLeagueGo

Juniors
Thanks for that question.

Here's my answer:

1/ Because I'm trying to support international RL.

2/ Two of my oldest mates have Lebanese heritage, and we're going to make a night of it/have a big Lebanese meal beforehand/enjoy a fun evening.
Fair enough. Each to there own Jim. I just couldnt get my head around paying money to watch a team full of Australians that call themselves "Lebanon". Atleast the Poms will be legit i guess

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Fair enough. Each to there own Jim. I just couldnt get my head around paying money to watch a team full of Australians that call themselves "Lebanon". Atleast the Poms will be legit i guess
Support the international game mate, it has to start somewhere , at this point would you rather see 17 domestic players from Lebanon run out against Australia ?. If this game inspires a few kids in Lebanon it's done its job in my books. People need to support international league, the nrl holds the international game back.

Golden point

Juniors
Support the international game mate, it has to start somewhere , at this point would you rather see 17 domestic players from Lebanon run out against Australia ?. If this game inspires a few kids in Lebanon it's done its job in my books. People need to support international league, the nrl holds the international game back.
Well said.

hutch

First Grade

The Lebanese team will have 17 Lebanese men playing for them. It is possible to be Australian and Lebanese. They have every right to play for their country.

Burns

First Grade
Well, it is now 49 days until kick off.

I think we can begin to assume that the strategy for moving tickets is that they will simply sell the bulk of tickets in the lead up to each individual match.

The Final in Brisbane is the only real game (outside of PNG) with decent/strong presales. The top tier is on it's way to selling out, with the East/West lower likewise.

Opener still needs a push. After watching the Soccer on Tuesday with Thailand v Australia, you got a good sense of what the ground will look like sold out - whilst not the MCG, it wasn't half bad.

The Australia v Lebanon game appears to have changed slightly, the corner bays in the Eastern stand are now $10. Would be lucky is even more than a 2,000 have been sold. I think it would be unlikely that the upper stands are opened at all.

The minnow matches (with all due respect) are doing their thing in Darwin etc.

It's been expressed by a few posters, particularly in the New Zealand/Warriors forum, but the lack of interest from across the ditch is concerning. Ticket sales for all matches in NZ are slow (please don't look at the quarter final in Wellington at the 'Caketin').

All in all, given that pedigree the tournament inherited from Michael Brown as CEO of the 2015 Asian Football Cup, I would have thought that their cut through to get majority of matches well attended would have produced some firm results.

How are we tracking compared to 2013 WC? What were sales like 49 days out? Is there much ado about nothing?

Scubby

Juniors
Well, it is now 49 days until kick off.

I think we can begin to assume that the strategy for moving tickets is that they will simply sell the bulk of tickets in the lead up to each individual match.

The Final in Brisbane is the only real game (outside of PNG) with decent/strong presales. The top tier is on it's way to selling out, with the East/West lower likewise.

Opener still needs a push. After watching the Soccer on Tuesday with Thailand v Australia, you got a good sense of what the ground will look like sold out - whilst not the MCG, it wasn't half bad.

The Australia v Lebanon game appears to have changed slightly, the corner bays in the Eastern stand are now $10. Would be lucky is even more than a 2,000 have been sold. I think it would be unlikely that the upper stands are opened at all.

The minnow matches (with all due respect) are doing their thing in Darwin etc.

It's been expressed by a few posters, particularly in the New Zealand/Warriors forum, but the lack of interest from across the ditch is concerning. Ticket sales for all matches in NZ are slow (please don't look at the quarter final in Wellington at the 'Caketin').

All in all, given that pedigree the tournament inherited from Michael Brown as CEO of the 2015 Asian Football Cup, I would have thought that their cut through to get majority of matches well attended would have produced some firm results.

How are we tracking compared to 2013 WC? What were sales like 49 days out? Is there much ado about nothing?

The media really doesn't help at all. I have never known a sport bag itself so much and come across all insular. In the lead up to the 2015 RUWC everything was painted with a positive attitude. Talks of festival, once in a lifetime opportunity. We can barely get the Sydney media to utter the words World Cup.

It may be 49 days to the opener but it is something like 73 days to the quarter finals. That is a long long time in RL circles. We are lazy buggers personified. I expect a massive pitch up as the NRL fizzles out.

Billythekid

First Grade
Whilst I'm pretty pessimistic I still think it's too early to judge ticket sales. Until the NRL season finishes I just can't see things picking up much.

Getting anywhere near the tournament target of 450,000 will also be an achievement.

I sure do hope there will be a marketing blitz post the NRL GF …

As an aside, I can't help thinking having the RLWC on Ch7 and NOT on NRL broadcasters Ch9 and FoxSports is a major negative.

This is not to criticise Ch7 … they've been great … but if it had been on Ch9 and FoxSports, both these channels would have been mentioning/promoting/talking up RLWC 2017 all season during its NRL broadcasts.

Instead, Ch9 and FoxSports have all but ignored RLWC 2017, meaning NRL watchers have little idea of the tournament, its games etc etc.

Add to this only 2 games in the whole of NSW, and it doesn't bode well.

I hope I'm proved wrong though !!!

I'm assuming 7 simply offered more money. I hope it was a decent amount because not havering the game on fox in particular has some serious draw backs.

Like most of you I'm pretty nervous about this World Cup. Sure we've already made some money and it'll definitely be profitable but if crowds and ratings are poor it's hardly a good thing for international rugby league. Meagre profits are good but at some point we need to actually raise the profile of international league.

Still hoping it will surprise us.

Latest posts