What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pass Mark for 2018

Tigerm

First Grade
So what is an acceptable end of year position for our new team next year?

For me, top 8 would be great.

Top 4 would be bloody fantastic

Vic Mackey

Referee
We've had the luxury of being able to do the rebuild mid season which is very rare. Even though we sacrificed 2017 sacking JT in round 3 it allowed us to begin building for 18 immediently.

I don't see many weaknesses in our squad, the only thing might be that we don't have a superstar, so if we get in a tight game against a storm, easts, broncos etc we might not have someone to come up with the clutch play against quality opposition.

I think our coach is one of the best in the business and he's assembled a squad with plenty of toughness, depth and a great mix of experience and youth. We've filled 28 of the 30 fulltime spots for next year and only 1 of them hasn't played 1st grade, I doubt any other team will have that.

Our pack will match it with the best and if anyone has a bigger 1-5 then us I'll be shocked.

As others have said it previously it all comes down to our 1/7/9 for me. We know what the 6 will gives us, the others are the unknown.

In saying that I expect us to make the 8 and I'll be disappointed if we don't. Anything else will be a bonus.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
We've had the luxury of being able to do the rebuild mid season which is very rare. Even though we sacrificed 2017 sacking JT in round 3 it allowed us to begin building for 18 immediently.

I don't see many weaknesses in our squad, the only thing might be that we don't have a superstar, so if we get in a tight game against a storm, easts, broncos etc we might not have someone to come up with the clutch play against quality opposition.

I think our coach is one of the best in the business and he's assembled a squad with plenty of toughness, depth and a great mix of experience and youth. We've filled 28 of the 30 fulltime spots for next year and only 1 of them hasn't played 1st grade, I doubt any other team will have that.

Our pack will match it with the best and if anyone has a bigger 1-5 then us I'll be shocked.

As others have said it previously it all comes down to our 1/7/9 for me. We know what the 6 will gives us, the others are the unknown.

In saying that I expect us to make the 8 and I'll be disappointed if we don't. Anything else will be a bonus.
I predominantly agree.Coz we've been deprived of finials footy for so long & coz we have a very good squad with an impressive coach I will b disappointed if we don't play September footy in '18.However I have quite a big concern about 1/7/9 & consequently due to this unknown surrounding these 3 critical positions it wouldn't shock me if we were to finish top 4 or bottom 4 !!!

Tiger Ted

Bench
My expectation for 2018 is that we are competitive in every game; play for 80 minutes; not let in tries 5 minutes before half time; make the final 8 and shut the gobs of the media toads who like to print crap about us.
....& also not leak tries 5 mins after half time !

Also become adept at getting repeat sets frequently !

Tiger05

First Grade
I predominantly agree.Coz we've been deprived of finials footy for so long & coz we have a very good squad with an impressive coach I will b disappointed if we don't play September footy in '18.However I have quite a big concern about 1/7/9 & consequently due to this unknown surrounding these 3 critical positions it wouldn't shock me if we were to finish top 4 or bottom 4 !!!

I'm worried about Reynolds as well. I can honestly see Benji getting a fair bit of game time.

Tiger05

First Grade
Can't see you making the 8 with

6. Reynolds
7. Brooks

This is the issue isn't it but it's worse than that. We have Tui at 1 and Liddle at 9. All four players could be really good but they could also be really bad.

I think our squad though looks decent. I'm not sure it's better than what we had this year but we had no depth this season and we had a couple of cockheads this season who could play but caused all sort of drama at the club backed up by a shithouse coach.

Clifferd

Coach

6. Reynolds
7. Brooks

Pretty much need Brooks to fire otherwise I agree. No more excuses anymore as he'll be playing behind a pretty brutal forward pack

However I've seen some pretty average halve combinations still make the 8 so you never know

Including

7. Ben Hornby
6. Jamie Soward

Win the comp for the dragons in '10

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach
....& also not leak tries 5 mins after half time !

Also become adept at getting repeat sets frequently !

To be fair, I haven't seen us leak a try 5 mins after or before half time in quite awhile

I remember it used to be tradition

Vic Mackey

Referee

6. Reynolds
7. Brooks

6. Reynolds
7. Keating

Made a grand final

Brooks hasn't lived upto the hype but if he isn't a better player then Kris Keating I'll give it away.

Canberra made the second week of the finals in 2013 with:

6. Sam Williams
7. Josh McCrone

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'm worried about Reynolds as well. I can honestly see Benji getting a fair bit of game time.
Benji did some good things for Broncos tonite.The culture at Brisbane under Sargent Bennett has benefited our prodigal son !

Benji may very well b a surprise pkt for the club where he is a legend next yr ! It won't surprise if he ends up being IC's most astute signing by the end of the '18 season !

Tiger Ted

Bench
To be fair, I haven't seen us leak a try 5 mins after or before half time in quite awhile

I remember it used to be tradition
Yep that's certainly a relief & credit to the influence of the very impressive IC.

2 best decisions this club has made in '17.f**k off the useless imbecile Taylor & appoint the exemplary IC !

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Benji is looking good - he will put pressure on Brooks & Reynolds and if they don't aim up he can easily step in.

Tigerm

First Grade
This is the issue isn't it but it's worse than that. We have Tui at 1 and Liddle at 9. All four players could be really good but they could also be really bad.

I think our squad though looks decent. I'm not sure it's better than what we had this year but we had no depth this season and we had a couple of cockheads this season who could play but caused all sort of drama at the club backed up by a shithouse coach.

Actually we don't know what the final 17 will be, maybe be some surprises yet. Of the 1,6,7&9 the only one I would be sure about is Reynolds.

simmo05

Bench
I for one am sick of always expecting the worst, (although it leads to less disapointment) I am going to go on the record and say anything outside a top 4 is a fail. Staunch defence and an unshackled brooks playing behind a dominant pack, with Benchie pulling all his trick shots off the bench, will see us pull up just short of the big one.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Looking at the roster for next year and barring injuries to multiple key players I would consider anything outside the top 8 underachieving.

I think realistically the spine is already settled for the start of the year, the question would be if that is where it will end the year, I don't see the hardheadedness in IC that was in Sheens and if something is not working he will make the change. The good thing is we have options here.

Another great thing is the amount of promise we have in the back row. The issue I have is that you can be the best backrower in the world and run the best lines but if you do not have a decent ballplayer inside you, you just end up being a battering ram and achieve nothing. I really hope Marsters has a massive offseason and can transition here at some point next year, I can see him becoming an absolute menace.

All in all it will be the longest offseason ever waiting for next year round 1. Gonna be awesome having a a competitive squad of talent that wants to be nowhere else but in a Tigers Jersey and putting in for the whole year!